World Trade Center

firefly

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:35 pm
Oliver Stone's new movie, "World Trade Center" is about to open.

While it does sound like a compelling story, I am not sure I am yet ready to watch any cinematic versions of any of the events connected to 9/11. The reality is still too raw and painful, and, for me, too literally close to home.

Is it too soon to bring out movies about 9/11, or it's aftermath? Does this help with healing, or just open up horribly painful memories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
I'm not going to see it.
I find it difficult to watch the ads.
===

There are still many days
when I look South
down one of the Avenues
and find myself
surprised that the towers are not there.

These days
the headlines of the Daily News
contain the names
of firefighters and ambulance drivers
dying now
slowly dying
dying
from the burning dust
they inhaled
as day after day after day
they dug
looking for buddies
looking for strangers.

Moving heaven and earth
in the midst of hell.

Joe(It's still thisclose)Nation
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 09:58 am
I have simply decided to not see this picture, although, given the way things have gone in the past several years, it will be given the Oscar for Best Picture.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:05 pm
The would be satisfying to Oliver Stone after the debacle of "Alexander" where something of a different nature came crashing down after being hit by the critics.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:25 pm
I am not sure that I could comfortably view such a film. If the proceeds from this movie were going to the victims and victims families, then I might be able to support it.

That morning is still as clear in my mind as if I had actually been there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:32 pm
I didn't see Flight 93. I've been avoiding things I feel are too sad for a couple of years. Never was able to see "The Passion."

I think I'm going to see this one.

I expect it to be difficult, but I'm drawn to see it.

Sometimes, I still can't believe it happened. And, when I read accounts of people who were heroic and lived, and those they talk about who didn't make it, I almost feel a duty to see it.

I feel it's about more than that day.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:42 am
Lash wrote:
I didn't see Flight 93. I've been avoiding things I feel are too sad for a couple of years. Never was able to see "The Passion."

I think I'm going to see this one.

I expect it to be difficult, but I'm drawn to see it.

Sometimes, I still can't believe it happened. And, when I read accounts of people who were heroic and lived, and those they talk about who didn't make it, I almost feel a duty to see it.

I feel it's about more than that day.

I saw The Passion and felt sick to my stomach.I saw Flight 93 and felt frightened and the tears falling down my face.I will see this film about planes crashing into the Twin Towers because,having stood on the viewing platform,I felt the sway of the building.I also felt,again,the tears on my face while watching CNN on 9-11,knowing that ordinary working guys,like myself,were dieing,as I watched.....Live TV. Ain't it great :-(
Movies are all about feelings and only a "good" movie can move your emotions.If we only go to a movie to walk out with a smile on our faces,then shame on us.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:55 am
I doubt il see it.
I can still picture the scenes from TV footage.I dont think any films need to be made of it.
Although I like Nicholas Cage I dont think they should have used known actors.
He's a bit to cheesy for my liking and he may take away the sense of realism.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:30 am
material girl wrote:
I doubt il see it.
I can still picture the scenes from TV footage.I dont think any films need to be made of it.

Oliver Stone has said that having a well known actor was the only way that the movie would have been made. He thought that Nicholas Cage was the best actor for this roll.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:40 am
Intrepid wrote:
material girl wrote:
I doubt il see it.

Oliver Stone has said that having a well known actor was the only way that the movie would have been made. He thought that Nicholas Cage was the best actor for this roll.

Fair enough but I would have prefered unknowns as it was based on a historical event and i didnt know anybody involved.

If I sw it I think id just keep picturing Nicolas Cage as one of his other characetrs.
But he is a fine actor and has an ability, more then most, to portray empathy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:08 am
Nicholas Cage and his new Korean wife wandered into the gallery about six months ago. He looks awful -- just this side of a cadaver with little hair and all grey. Not that after the Hollywood magic of weaves and make-up doesn't take about twenty-years off his looks. He just asked if we had original paintings (it was obvious that most of what was hanging was original), I said "of course" and started to approach to help him. He turned and walked out. Did my BO override my L'Occitane cologne or did I forget to take out my fangs. He looked like he was in pain.

71% favorable reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but the negative states that the movie is too sentimental. We'll see what the box office numbers are in a few days.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:11 am
I heard an interview with Cage and with the man he portrays and I thought Cage captured the cadence of the man's speech and his accent. That he is well known shouldn't limit your enjoyment of the role. The man does have talent.

I decided not to see the movie in part because I am too poor to see every movie that comes down the pike, and, in part because the morning of 9/11, which was the morning before I began a new job, I watched the whole thing unfold while trying to decide how I would spend that last unscheduled day. I don't think I could ever get over Bryant Gumble, sitting at CBS news headquarters, taking calls from waiters and people on the streets about the plane crash at the WTC.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:36 pm
One of my favorite films of recent years was "Matchstick Man." Cage has always been able to deliver and convincing performance even in a second rate movie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:56 pm
Has anyone seen it?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:10 pm
Not ready. Not sure I'll ever be ready.

Has anyone heard about this young ex-marine who swooped in that day, helped rescue several people and then just left, never realizing that people have been looking for him ever since? I saw him on CNN yetserday and want to read more about him but can find anything online.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 02:07 pm
Someone on the Today Show said it was expected to come in 2nd this weekend to the Will Farrell comedy, yet Thursday's box office shows it is slipping downward.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:19 pm
Doesn't look too good so far for WTC but this will greatly depend on next weekend's percentage of drop in B.O. The film needs to do in excess of $175M in order to make it's cost but there's pay-per-view, cable and the DVD release which will bring in additional revenues.

TW/LW/Title/Studio/Weekend Gross /% Change/Theater #'s/Change Average/Total Gross/Budget/Week #

1 1 Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby Sony $23,000,000 -51.1% 3,807 +4 $6,041 $91,217,000 $72.50 2
2 N Step Up BV $21,065,000 - 2,467 - $8,538 $21,065,000 $12 1
3 N World Trade Center Par. $19,016,000 - 2,957 - $6,430 $26,818,000 $65 1
4 2 Barnyard: The Original Party Animals Par. $10,069,000 -36.4% 3,311 - $3,041 $34,085,000 $51 2
5 N Pulse Dim. $8,456,000 - 2,323 - $3,640 $8,456,000 - 1
6 3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $7,207,000 -34.5% 2,941 -495 $2,450 $392,400,000 $225 6
8 5 The Descent Lions $4,600,000 -48.4% 2,095 - $2,195 $17,527,000 - 2
7 N Zoom SonR $4,600,000 - 2,501 - $1,839 $4,600,000 - 1
9 4 Miami Vice Uni. $4,547,000 -55.5% 2,659 -367 $1,710 $55,112,000 $135 3
10 7 Monster House Sony $3,300,000 -45.5% 2,434 -595 $1,355 $63,678,000 $75 4
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 08:05 pm
I have chosen not to watch it. Especially not going to pay money for a re-enactment on the big screen. There is no point. I know what happened. We all do.
I find the entire thing rather cheesy. I mean, it is playing here now. You walk down the theatre and see Snakes on a Plane, Beerfest and then the next door has a big lighted World Trade Center on it.
Kids are laughing. People are describing it and making-sharing reactions to Nick Cage and how "real" the movie is.
'Snakes on a Plane' and 'World Trade Center' mingle in the same sentence. It's a bloody farce.

Maybe I am a tightass, but I wanted to say "Hey. Remember Real??!" and start some kind of commotion. I guess that is my reaction, now. I haven't seen any person 'bettered' by seeing this film. So - why?

I remember Sept. 11 and wondering if my cousin was one of the ones killed. I remember the waves of shock that went through my city, even though we are 'far away'. I don't want to see any bullshit movie. I want to hear the real goddamn stories, y'know? From real people. At least movies like this do that, I suppose. They get a few hesitant folks to speak up I hope.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 08:09 pm
It's barely reached $60M which is pitiful -- will be one of the year's big flops.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 08:13 pm
I guess that says it all, eh, Lightwizard.

I would take a guess that 'snakes on a plane' is doing quite well, though. Laughing
0 Replies