Adversarial versus Inquisitorial Justice Systems.

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
I was talking to a detective friend last night about "justice".

We both know a lot about how badly our justice system serves the "truth" and find it frustrating, and are intensely aware of how much trauma it engenders for victims, witnesses etc.

My view was that, despite all this, I couldn't really think of a reliably better system.

His was that the Inquisitorial system, as I gather is used in France, is a much fairer and better system...one where truth comes out far more fully and reliably.

I was brung up on Rumpole and the "golden thread of British justice"...ie the presumption of innocence, and have always had a vague and fuzzy feeling that the French system was less respectful of rights of the accused, or some damn thing.

Do any of my learned friends have a good knowledge of the inquisitorial system, and how well it works? Do you have views about which is better, fairer, more "just"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:18 pm
bookmark

(For the record, I don't know enough about the subject to have a valid opinion. Further, for the record [33 1/3 rpm], I have never had much faith in the French system but, as I have no first-hand knowledge, that may well be just a touch of Francophobia.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:30 pm
Yes...I wondered if my hazy beliefs on the matter were the last remaining shreds of British born to ruleness in the nether regions of my consciousness casting nasturtiums.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:13 pm
Don't know if you've seen this thread, Deb. Somewhat related to what you're asking.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80597&highlight=
0 Replies