Real Player attacks Windows Media Player. What to do?

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:01 am
Today, I downloaded the free version of Real Player from their site. All the Windows Media Player audio files have now be converted into Real files. The video files are intact, however. I had downloaded this software to be able to access music on the Internet. But, I really didn't intendit to take over all the music files on my system.

Looks like it has become my default media application. How can I restore the previous set-up without uninstalling the Real Player?

Thanks
Spidergal
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 684 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:49 am
When you installed RealPlayer, you were given the option to manually select file associations, or let RealPlayer do what it wanted to. Apparently, you did not elect to set your own file associations.

Open RealPlayer, select "Tools", then select "Preferences". From the left-hand panel, Select "Media Types" under "Content", then click on "Manually configure media types for RealPlayer", and click "Select". Go through the list and set your preferred file associations, then click "Apply", then "OK", close RealPlayer, and reboot.

Alternately, open Windows MediaPlayer (assuming that's what you want as your main media player), select Tools>Options>File Types, and set your preferences as you wish, click "Apply", then "OK", then close Windows MediaPlayer and reboot.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:19 pm
Well, thank you, Timber. It was easy. I think I should have applied my brains to it!
0 Replies