Architecture around town

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 01:13 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I love brick buildings/quote]

A quote a bit out of context. I am actually just putting in a bm.
Here in the red clay country of central Virginia, virtually everything has to be brick. The members of the Board of Architectural Review all seem to have BRICK tattooed on their foreheads. (Did I mention that I had a 3-year battle with county planning and the BAR?)
Anyway, I've enjoyed your pictures and hope to figure out how one goes about posting them. I would like to show you some from here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 01:48 pm
Have you got your photos on a site like photobucket or imageshack, rjb?
Those two sites are used by a lot here to transfer photos onto a2k... (they have to be below a certain number of kb, which is why one usually needs an intermediate site). Well, that's if they are your own photos.

Otherwise, you can find photos on google/images, click on the small image, a bigger one will show up, right click on that to open to a new window, copy the URL, and add it to a2k by clicking on the IMG button, or just add [img] in front of the URL and [/img] at the end of it.

Confused yet?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 01:52 pm
How could he be confused? Your explanation was impeccable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
Well, rjb is smart, but I can confuse anyone..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
Reyn, can I do more than one city? I might do some buildings from my long time home town, Los Angeles, some from my last home town, Eureka, and some from my new home town, Albuquerque... all very different...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Have you got your photos
Quote:

Uh, no, I don't have photos and I am a dumb redneck and so, yes, I am confused. But I have clever young folks working for me so I will enlist their help in sending pictures from my store.
The newest thing here is the 16,000 seat basketball arena (also used for rock concerts etc). Just opened this week. It was, I concede, a difficult assignment. A huge building and it had to be brick and it had to be vaguely Jeffersonian, which means columns (tradtion, don't you know). I'll try to get something out next week.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:12 pm
rjb, If you can find a picture of it at Google images Here. Then right click on the picture and select properties. copy the URL from the box. Then to post it, you'll see IMG in a box above the reply box. Clik that and past the Url there. When you preview your reply, you should see it. Try that with any old picture to see if it works for you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:14 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Oh, Reyn. I can't see them.

Anyone else having a problem? Seems to be fine on my end.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:18 pm
I can't see them, Reyn, and I never did see CJane's brick building, haven't checked back on that today though.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:19 pm
Reyn wrote:
Swimpy wrote:

Okay, let's try this one then.

http://www.victoriabcguide.com/images/Pempress.JPG
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:19 pm
Just checked, still can't see her's on page 2.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
Love those, Swimpy!

I've developed a lot of affection for this building, which turns out to be sozlet's favorite, too.

LeVeque tower, completed 1927, at night:

http://www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

Detail:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Columbus-ohio-leveque-tower-detail.jpg

Zillions of lovely Victorians in Victorian Village -- one thing I really love about Columbus is how conservation-minded it is, in terms of old houses.

Lovely building. What is it used for?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
Reyn wrote:
Swimpy wrote:

Nope. Still can't see them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Reyn, can I do more than one city? I might do some buildings from my long time home town, Los Angeles, some from my last home town, Eureka, and some from my new home town, Albuquerque... all very different...

Sure, go for it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:23 pm
That last picture I posted was again (see last page) an older photo of the Empress Hotel in Victoria.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:25 pm
I saw that one. Oh boy that's a beaut! Is it still standing? How many rooms does that thing have? It's a freaking palace!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:34 pm
Swimpy wrote:
I saw that one. Oh boy that's a beaut! Is it still standing? How many rooms does that thing have? It's a freaking palace!

Oh, yes, it was restored in 1989. It has 477 rooms.

THIS tells a bit about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:37 pm
RealJohn, speaking of your neck of the woods, I bet you have an opinion on or might be interested in this...

South Lawn project faces criticism in national media --
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=27204&pid=1455
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:40 pm
Omigosh, Reyn, that Empress Hotel is an amazing building. (hmmm, I wonder if those are Mansard roofs...)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:41 pm
Here's a couple more famous canadian hotels:

Banff Springs Hotel, Alberta

http://www.iras.ucalgary.ca/~kwok/rockies/images/banff%20springs%20hotel.jpg

Vancouver Fairmont Hotel

http://www.circon.com/images/Vancouver_and_area/fairmont-vancouver-hotel.png
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:34:10