At Long Last! WMD's Found Buried In A Field!

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:44 pm
Quote:
US finds evidence of WMD at last - buried in a field near Maryland

Julian Borger in Washington
Wednesday May 28, 2003
The Guardian

The good news for the Pentagon yesterday was that its investigators had finally unearthed evidence of weapons of mass destruction, including 100 vials of anthrax and other dangerous bacteria.
The bad news was that the stash was found, not in Iraq, but fewer than 50 miles from Washington, near Fort Detrick in the Maryland countryside.

The anthrax was a non-virulent strain, and the discoveries are apparently remnants of an abandoned germ warfare programme. They merited only a local news item in the Washington Post.

But suspicious finds in Iraq have made front-page news (before later being cleared), given the failure of US military inspection teams to find evidence of the weapons that were the justification for the March invasion.

Even more embarrassing for the Pentagon, there was no documentation about the various biological agents disposed of at the US bio-defence centre at Fort Detrick. Iraq's failure to come up with paperwork proving the destruction of its biological arsenal was portrayed by the US as evidence of deception in the run-up to the war.

In an effort to explain why no chemical or biological weapons had been found in Iraq, the US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, said yesterday the regime may have destroyed them before the war.

Speaking to the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations thinktank, he said the speed of U.S. advance may have caught Iraq by surprise, but added: "It is also possible that they decided that they would destroy them prior to a conflict."

The US germ warfare programme at Fort Detrick was officially wound up in 1969, but the base has maintained a stock of nasty bugs to help maintain America's defences against biological attack.

The leading theory about the unsolved anthrax letter attacks in 2001 is that they were carried out by a disgruntled former Fort Detrick employee; equipment found dumped in a pond eight miles from the base has been linked to the crimes.

The Fort Detrick clean-up has unearthed over 2,000 tonnes of hazardous waste.

The sanitation crews were shocked to find vials containing live bacteria. As well as the vaccine form of anthrax, the discarded biological agents included Brucella melitensis, which causes the virulent flu-like disease brucellosis, and klebsiella, a cause of pneumonia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,965319,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:46 pm
Wonder how long it will take for the spinners to find someone else to blame for these WMD's so we can search out and destroy more of those dastardly terrorists that might some day use WMDs on us.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:57 pm
I had no idea the Iraqi's had infiltrated all the way to Fort Detrick!

Phew, THAT was close!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 03:29 am
To quote Walt Kelly's Pogo, misquoting Stephen Decatur:

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:48 am
Look, those weapons could have been activated within 40 minutes and in used on Coalition forces in Iraq five minutes later! This is no laughing matter. The bombing that (presumably) caught Saddam somewhere between first and second course took 45 and a half MINUTES!! If America is to continue to retain its leadership in the world, such violations must be stopped!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:46 am
Oy gevalt.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 02:56 pm
Quote:
The good news for the Pentagon yesterday was that its investigators had finally unearthed evidence of weapons of mass destruction, including 100 vials of anthrax and other dangerous bacteria. The bad news was that the stash was found, not in Iraq, but fewer than 50 miles from Washington, near Fort Detrick in the Maryland countryside.

I knew it! Please stand by as we Europeans prepare our UN-illegal shock and awe campaign against Washington, D.C. It's high time to bring regime change to your country anyway. The only minor annoyance is that only few government buildings will be left standing after we're done. But a liberator's gotta do what a liberator's gotta do, right?

PS: Any ideas as to what would be a good place to detain the current regime without due process? St. Helena maybe? I kind of like the Napoleon analogy. Wink
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 03:19 pm
Thomas wrote:
Quote:
The good news for the Pentagon yesterday was that its investigators had finally unearthed evidence of weapons of mass destruction, including 100 vials of anthrax and other dangerous bacteria. The bad news was that the stash was found, not in Iraq, but fewer than 50 miles from Washington, near Fort Detrick in the Maryland countryside.

I knew it! Please stand by as we Europeans prepare our UN-illegal shock and awe campaign against Washington, D.C. It's high time to bring regime change to your country anyway. The only minor annoyance is that only few government buildings will be left standing after we're done. But a liberator's gotta do what a liberator's gotta do, right?

PS: Any ideas as to what would be a good place to detain the current regime without due process? St. Helena maybe? I kind of like the Napoleon analogy. Wink

Could you give us Bostonians the heads up before shock and awe? I might want to seek refuge in Iraq!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 03:22 pm
Thomas wrote:

How about Pyongyang, i'll bet those guys would find out that they have a lot in common, after all . . .
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:09 pm
Please do let us know when the Shock and Awe will be scheduled!
I'd like to make some popcorn.

Did I ever tell you about when the Tidal Wave Warning was announced? Half the people at work immediately left and drove straight to the ocean, to stand on the beach and watch it. I'm not joking! There were hundreds of people just standing on the sand, waiting hours to see the wave.

The only reason I went was to see how many people would go... :wink:
0 Replies