Stupid meteorology!

cherrie

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 02:18 am
@roger,
We've still got a lot of summer left yet and February is usually the hottest month. So that's something to look forward to.
We've now had a thunderstorm and there are quite a few fires in the area from lightning strikes.
roger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 03:11 am
@cherrie,
I think I was mostly trying to cheer myself up.
cherrie

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 03:30 am
@roger,
Oh ok. If I could send you some of this warmth I would. We've got heaps to spare.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 02:27 pm
@roger,
Thanks for the reminder that winter is on the way! Sad

Still heatwave conditions currently though - and my aircon has died,
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 03:54 pm
@margo,
Quote:
my aircon has died
ugh, that's the absolute worst...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 04:10 pm
@margo,
Sadness, and I mean that seriously.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 04:22 pm
@margo,
There are excellent ways to keep cooler without an air conditioner. It seems using water in front of the fan to keep moisture in the air is a good way. Here are some good recommendations. https://thehomesteadinghippy.com/how-keep-cool-without-air-conditioning/
roger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 04:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It works here, but only because we have a relatively low humidity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 04:38 pm
@roger,
Your post reminded me of the time in the 1950's when I was in the Air Force being shipped to Morocco, and we had a layover in South Carolina. The humidity was so high, we were drenching wet by walking just a few blocks from our hotel. We went to the YMCA to take showers, but the same thing happened on our way back to the hotel. I believe that's the highest humidy I have ever experienced in my life. I would never consider living in that kind of climate. It makes me wonder why so many do.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:02 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

It works here, but only because we have a relatively low humidity.

Yes - humidity has been very high here! Our planned Australia Day picnic was moved to someone's house with aircon.

I'm so sick of living feeling like a sticky wet rag!
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:39 pm
@margo,
Australia Day was rescheduled to May8 (mayaaate) due to inclemency.

It's the same old song but there's a different meaning since the words were changed

Yeah
Gettin' wet as you get, like a sticky wet rag
Go aircon, put it on, until the heat's gone
Out of sight till the night, out of sight of the day
Gettin' wet as you get gonna do it my way

Out of sight till the night, out of sight in the day
Gettin' wet

Lookin' for less ickiness
But there is so much stickiness to find
Turn to the left turn to the right
Lookin' upstairs lookin' behind

Lookin' for less ickiness
But there is so much stickiness to find
Turn to the left turn to the right
Lookin' upstairs lookin' behind

Gettin' wet as you get, like a sticky wet rag
Go aircon, put it on, until the heat's gone
Out of sight till the night, out of sight of the day
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2019 03:01 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 01:50 am
So there we were a little under a week ago with a registered temp of 2°F and along comes the last two days with temps above 60°F. Not to worry though, it should be at least 20° cooler tomorrow.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2019 01:01 pm
@Sturgis,
Who's da bomb?!
https://i.imgur.com/DuVQfZS.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 01:19 pm
Quote:
How Hot Is It in Boston? The Hottest July Ever Recorded

As the temperature in the city on this last day of the month climbs once again into the 90s
and has prompted yet another heat advisory, meteorologists are predicting this will be
Boston’s hottest July on record.

The National Weather Service won’t make the final call until after midnight, but as of this
morning the average temperature for the month in Boston has been 78.5 degrees, besting
the previous record of 78 degrees set back in 1983. That’s the hottest in nearly 150 years,
as records date back to 1872.

“We are on tap for the warmest July,” says Alan Dunham, meteorologist for the NWS in
Norton, adding, “It confirms what everybody thinks: ‘God it’s hot out there.’ Yeah, it is.”

Including Wednesday, if temps get that high, we will have had 12 90-degree days in Boston
this month. Dunham points out that the city did not see any 90-degree days in May or June,
while we typically see one or two during those months.

We won’t be the only city to break records. Hartford, which so far has had an average
temperature of 78.2 degrees, will likely surpass the previous high of 77.9. But while it’s
also been hot in Providence, Dunham says that city’s record will probably not be broken,
as it’s currently only the fifth hottest July on record.
(boston mag)

R(i'm melting)P
Sturgis

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 01:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
A thunderstorm just blew by here. There was a time where that sort of thing lowered the temperature. No such luck today. The temps went up another three friggin degrees! (humidity increased as well)

...The above message was for anybody living northeast of NYC as storm is expected to continue on a northeasterly path...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 02:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

And looky there, the A-hole of Texas right in the middle of that high pressure area, getting just a spit of rain, just enough to dirty the cars, the other day.

That image is just beautiful, though.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 02:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
We desperately need rain in California. Send some over.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 02:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
Isn’t that image dated March 13 of this year?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 03:54 pm
@Ragman,
Oh yeah, heh.

Things don't change much around here. Our general weather pattern is high pressure areas parked over us throughout the year. That's why we don't get much precipitation.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2j1mlw2.gif