XP Users- Having Problems Connecting? Microsoft Goofed!

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:40 am
Just thought that I would let everybody know. There is nothing wrong with your computer. Microsoft goofed again!

Quote:
Microsoft Withdraws An XP Update
WASHINGTON, May 28, 2003

Microsoft Corp. withdrew a security improvement for its flagship Windows XP software after it crippled Internet connections for some of the 600,000 users who installed it.

Microsoft officials said Tuesday the update - which had been available as an option since Friday on its "Windows Update" Web site - apparently was incompatible with popular security software from other companies, such as Symantec Corp.

Microsoft said Internet connections failed immediately for an unspecified number of more than 600,000 computers using Windows XP who downloaded and installed the update. Consumers could reconnect only by removing the update, which promised to improve reliability for types of secure Internet connections commonly used by corporations

Link to MIcrosoft Story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,505 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Monger

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:57 am
Thanks for info, Phoenix.

Microsoft does lots of silly stuff, but as for 'Windows Update' Microsoft is generally a lot better than most software companies at releasing fixes very soon after major problems are discovered.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:00 pm
Monger wrote:
Microsoft does lots of silly stuff, but as for 'Windows Update' Microsoft is generally a lot better than most software companies at releasing fixes very soon after major problems are discovered.

Which discoveries come in hot and heavy in the first two years after every new os release by the Evil Empire . . .

XP sucks, and the older versions can't even handle the memory management needs of my video games as well as XP, which is pretty damned poor at memory managment in the first place. I go into control panel, set the virtual memory at 2 gigs, and then, after the next time i reboot, i'll go back and find it set at 350 megs--my games recommend 500 megs as a minimum requirement for reliable graphics performance . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:07 pm
I'm no fan of Microsoft and I boycott their servers, databases and scripting languages but it's sheer hilarity to see how they become the scapegoat of many frustrated computer users.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:48 pm
I agree with your scapegoat comment Craven. What do you run? Linix? Lindows?

I have no problems with XP. Me crashed twice a week.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:52 pm
I also have XP, and no more crashes for me! Me crashed more than twice a week for me, but I probably spend too much time on my computer. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:17 pm
XP users
I too find that XP is a far more solid item than Me.

I also know that MS makes a great scapegoat - but that's not altogether their fault. (Note, I said "not altogether".) Windows, whatever version, is a complex beast and no matter how hard they try, the MS people can't check out every possible bug, configuration, whatever that each of us has on our individual computer. The thing is, that I don't thing they try as hard as they could. This is one example, and the recent security patch which caused molasses-like slowdown on many people's computer is another.

When it comes to patches that cause more trouble than what they are patching - well, that's when I feel MS doesn't think things through.
0 Replies