So I have a domain name. Now what?

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
How do you get your site to show up on search engines?

Help the idiot girl out!

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,780 • Replies: 16
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:18 pm
You have one? Which name worked?

<dunno nothing about making no websites>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:29 pm
Now you know.

What I'm wondering is...

On the site I put in these "tag" words in hopes that someone looking for such specifics would happen upon my site.

What I don't know is -- do I need to have people type in the "tags" or type in the domain name in order to get it recognized.

When I try typing in either it doesn't register. Of course, it is brand spanking new but I need to figure out how I let people find me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
Why not let us hit it.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:09 pm
hmmm... the chucklebelly website doesn't pop up when I type in your name followed by photography. At least not in the first 3 pages of the google results.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:19 pm
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

How DO you get it to show up in search engines?

If enough people type in the actual site does that increase your averages?

Or does it go by how many people search for your particular "tags"?

I haven't the vaguest idea of how this works.

I put together the site, then found a domain name, then linked the two together but now I need to figure out how to get it found.

Most of my business is by referral so I don't need major exposure. I just want it so that if people either remember my name or if they're thinking something like This City and This Service that they might stumble across me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:22 pm
Can other people link to you? friends, some local business or whatnot? I believe that puts you on the map, but i, too, am talking out of my arse.

btw, i LOVE the "Quotos and memory"page (hehe, quotos)- and not because of the typo. very tasteful and touching.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:30 pm
Did you submit your URL to Google yet?

Quote:
Add your URL to Google's index
We add and update new websites to our index every time we crawl the web; we invite you to submit your top-level URL to make sure we don't miss your site.

Mind you, might take a while before it shows up - I mean, unless their web crawler comes across your site before they get around to processing your submission - like, couple of months.

Many answers about getting your site listed and ranked well also here: My site and Google
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:33 pm
Thanks dagmarka!

"Quotos" is a word I made up for photos with personal quotes, or famous quotes used to illustrate the image. It's kind of silly but, I don't know... different. People seem to remember it.

Getting local business' to link to me - that's a great idea! I know a few I can approach.

Wow, nimh! Thanks!

I have no idea how this is done but that is a great place to start!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:40 pm
Not wanting to oversimplify, but the main principle is: get linked by others.

Eg,

How do I add my site to Google's search results?

Quote:
When our spiders miss a site, it's frequently for one of the following reasons:

- The site isn't well connected through multiple links to other sites on the web.
- The site launched after Google's most recent crawl was completed.
- The design of the site makes it difficult for Google to effectively crawl its content.
- The site was temporarily unavailable when we tried to crawl it or we received an error when we tried to crawl it. You can use Google Sitemaps to see if we received errors when trying to crawl your site.

How can I improve my site's Google ranking?

Quote:
In general, webmasters can improve the rank of their sites by increasing the number of high-quality sites that link to their pages.

Google webmaster guidelines

Quote:
When your site is ready:

- Have other relevant sites link to yours.
- Submit it to Google at http://www.google.com/addurl.html.
- Submit a sitemap as part of our Google Sitemaps (Beta) project. Google Sitemaps uses your sitemap to learn about the structure of your site and to increase our coverage of your webpages.
- Make sure all the sites that should know about your pages are aware your site is online.
- Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites

Well, et cetera. Read around those "My site and Google" pages for orientation.

Oh, and dont fall for those "buy our software to improve your Google ranking" scams.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:44 pm
Thanks again, nimh!

I just added my site to Google and I was reading their page about how to be Google-friendly. I think I've met most of the criteria.

I'll need to focus on getting linked up with some other sites and submit my site to Yahoo and others.

You've really helped! Thanks a million.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
I just submitted my site to the "best of" of the site where I created it. Keep your fingers crossed for me - I'll get a lot of extra free storage and hopefully a lot of look-ins!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
boomerang wrote:
Thanks dagmarka!

"Quotos" is a word I made up for photos with personal quotes, or famous quotes used to illustrate the image. It's kind of silly but, I don't know... different. People seem to remember it.

Heh! I will certainly remember it! What a great word!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:57 am
Re: So I have a domain name. Now what?
boomerang wrote:
How do you get your site to show up on search engines?

You probably want to stir up a scandal like Jill Greenberg, who deliberately makes toddlers cry before she takes their pictures. Professional website management alone just doesn't cut it in today's media landscape.

(PS: Love your photography!)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
ok, so what do I need to type in to search for your site?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:15 am
Thank you, Thomas!

I want neither fame nor scandal so I think I'll stick with trying to not make children cry.

Those are very interesting portraits though. Quite strange but also compelling. I don't think I'll be volunteering Mo up as a subject for her though. And I'm not sure what kind of "national dialogue" she is wanting to "open" with these images. That children cry?

I'm not sure if I'm showing up on any search engines yet, Bella. I'm not at all concerned with being a big, popular site. I just want people to be able to find me if they type in my name or if they're looking for a portrait photographer for their child in my city.

If you just want to take a look at the site you can find it at Edit: Moderator: Website removed
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:49 pm
Wow! I like it!
Clean, simple and just...I love it.

You do such good work though, you don't need anything other than your pictures to speak for you.
0 Replies