A question about Macromedia (Flash player 6 )

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:56 am
Lately I've been getting this (pop up?) message appearing while I'm A2King. I don't know for certain whether it's a genuine message or not.
Could someone advise me?

The information box is headed "Internet Explorer"

Message under the heading: "Internet Explorer encountered a problem with an add-on & needs to close".

"The following add-on was running when this problem occured:

file: flash ocx

Company name: Macromedia Inc.

Description: Macromedia Flash Player 6

This free player is required to view the website you are visiting"

----

OK, should I respond to the request to send an error report/download the suggested stuff?

If I click "Don't send" I lose my current connection to A2K & have to re-enter the site.

Some advice, please, someone in the know?
I'm uncertain of how to preceed.

Thanks in advance,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 746 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:11 am
I'm not certain either ms olga but you do not need to have flash to view a2k unless you click on a link to a video so i humbly suggest you should not download. I would suggest a yuckwear scan as this seems the most likely source of the pop-up. I can tell you with certainty that I dont get this pop-up here, however i am running etrust firewall and firefox browser and dont get any ads at all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:15 am
Thanks, dadpad.

.. um, "yuckware"? (Pardon my ignorance)

I run Spybot & Ad-aware & my anti-virus program. I need something else, then? Gosh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:23 am
It just happened again. I clicked "send report" & got bumped out of A2K again & received this message:

All products
| Support
| Search
| microsoft.com guide

Online Crash Analysis | Corporate Error Reporting | Online Crash Analysis Worldwide
Browser security settings may impair site functionality

JavaScript and cookies must be enabled

Microsoft Online Crash Analysis uses JavaScript and cookies to display content correctly.

To upload your error report or check the status of a previously submitted error report, ensure that your browser security settings meet the following requirements:

JavaScript must be enabled.
Cookies must be enabled.

Solution found: update Macromedia Flash

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

The error was likely caused by:

Macromedia Flash

Recommendation

Macromedia Flash was created by Macromedia, Inc.. A new version of Macromedia Flash is available for download that should address this issue. Macromedia, Inc. recommends updating to the latest version of Macromedia Flash to take advantage of security and stability improvements. Click the following link to go to the update page:

Macromedia, Inc.

So, anyone? Confused
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:03 am
ok so macromedia is a legit program from Adobe. You should not access the player via the advert instad go to Major geeks and download via their site.
This is a free download. Choose from one of the sites for your download. Click on your selected location on the web page i have linked you to and follow the prompts.
Or use the links in the thread i linked to below

"Yuckwear" is a term for all that stuff that ends up on your computer that tells the web where you have been and what sites you visited and allows targeted advertising via a site such as A2K. You probably dont need more than spybot and adaware just run them in safe mode. really you should make it a habit to run timbers Yuckwear removal thread in its entire form.

Breaking news Read this first. this threads would seem relevant
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:10 am
Thank you for that, dadpad. I'll follow up your advice tomorrow, it being a bit late now.

Much appreciated,
Olga
0 Replies