Job Hunting

Raptech

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 11:19 am
Hello all,

Was hoping for a little advice on job hunting.
I recently got my MCSE and I'm looking for a job as a systems administrator in the GTA.

I've tried monster and I find it tedious going through a thousand jobs, and only 5 % fit my personal skill set.

If anyone has a good alternative Im all Ears!

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:15 pm
i hear dice.com is better...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:54 pm
Have you tried a recruiter? My husband used to actually recruite for the high tech area. Typically these recruiting companies are paid by the hiring company not by the potential candidates. It also depends on the area you live in and how the job market is. One bonus if you get a good recruiter, they can give you some info on the person that is interviewing and the company and what type of questions or person they are looking for.
0 Replies

Raptech

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
Thanks,

Although, I checked out Dice and found that there were not that many Canadian jobs posted there. Also I didn't find it to be very user friendly.

I did however happen to stumble upon a site called www.itfaction.com, let me know what you guys know of it.

I like that you can specify searches by certification, and there seems to be a lot of jobs in the GTA.

Once again if you guys have any other suggestions I'd like to hear em. Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:59 pm
heh -- itfaction has a `keyboard' at the top that plays a sound when you hover over it...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:33 pm
Raptech wrote:
...Although, I checked out Dice and found that there were not that many Canadian jobs posted there. Also I didn't find it to be very user friendly.

Once again if you guys have any other suggestions I'd like to hear em. Laughing

Did you try jobs.ca ? This is a link to a search on MCSE as the keyword: http://www.jobs.ca/jobseekers/search.asp?lang=EN&ses=&qkey=mcse&qcity=&qcat=
0 Replies

Raptech

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:58 am
From Boston with a Boston Terrier I love it.

Anyway I checked out that Link and applied to a couple so thanks a lot for your help.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but this IT Faction (www.itfaction.com) although a lot smaller than your average jobsite, is quite effective. (The fact that it's strictly IT weeds out all the junk jobs)

In their profile it says they only went live in May 2006. I wonder if they plan on growing and competing with the likes of monster, cuz I'd for sure be loyal to em.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:00 pm
Thanks re the doggie avatar. Smile

I looked at the site and it's not particularly well put together for a search in Boston. I ran a search, for laughs, and made it just for Boston, and it pulled jobs from, among other places, Ontario. I hate to break it to them, but Ontario is a bit far of a commute for me.

Good luck re your job search.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:06 pm
This is certainly an active forum, isn't it? Laughing
0 Replies