The one sentence debate game

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
The idea is that you get one sentence in wich to state your claims and objections; -a sentence that ends with a period, in wich all grammatical tools may be exploited to the best of your ability as long as the product is grammatically and linguistically sound, and it is my claim, to get the debate started, that this sentence meets the requirements it suggests.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 654 • Replies: 12
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:46 pm
your sentence does seem to be consistent with the rules it expounds, but i wish the word "which" wasn't spelled "wich."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:04 pm
My apologies for the misspelling, and my thanks for enlightening me in the subtleties of the english language, which I would now gladly use to produce a revised edition of the previous post, were it not in conflict with the rules of this thread.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 02:30 pm
Afour yikkan mek a starlunch onty sich aporposishun, effucktin as it injuicedlee duz the miglemush bettyweener the topnot and the Hardam's Hopple of A2Kissmiquickers on ziss threedle,perapes youse ort ti orate a weeniewinkler on hexaculate wart " linguistically sound" miret meanymeanyminiemo so that us thundereducatydumdds will feeli-feelie we miret proceed to hartempt to himperess youse.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 02:33 pm
spendius wrote:
Afour yikkan mek a starlunch onty sich aporposishun, **** as it injuicedlee duz the miglemush bettyweener the topnot and the Hardam's Hopple of A2Kissmiquickers on ziss threedle,perapes youse ort ti orate a weeniewinkler on hexaculate wart " linguistically sound" miret meanymeanyminiemo so that us thundereducatydumdds will feeli-feelie we miret proceed to hartempt to himperess youse.

I disagree.

(Now there's a beautifully complete sentence: a subject and a predicate and a full stop [period].)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 02:58 pm
Now, Andrew, you're disagreeing with spendius for argument's sake, and although I don't necessarily agree with him on many topics, he does have moments of clarity where his point of view makes perfect sense.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:05 pm
i agree. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:22 pm
While I, contrariwise, disagree utterly, holding, with the weight of overwhelming evidence on my side, that Spendius only ever makes such sense as may be expected of that legendary band of monkeys unloosed upon the mythical typewriter left carelessly unattended for countless eons.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:28 pm
That's all very well Ms Jane but your distinct tone of admonition is a little unfair on Andrew because he is, first and foremost,entitled to have his say according to your stone-set Constitution: he is also entitled to disagree providing of course that he can define "linguistically sound" in a manner which Mr James Joyce would have approved of, and he is also short and makes his point with some style, characteristics often sorely lacking in some quarters, and he does not deserve your derisive comments any more than you deserve derisive comments about any of your behaviour patterns which, I presume, you are perfectly entitled to engage in from time to time as your wandering moods waft you hither and thither through this corncopia of goodies, courtesy of the nerdies, dispensing your grace on those of whom you approve and your scorn on those poor misguided souls who don't come up to your standards and who are cast into the outer darkness where no light emanating from the source of all goodness ever reaches and where newer and better goodies are created so that the cornucopia is enabled to continuously expand at three per-cent per year, year on year, allowing for inflation, in one long joy-ride of fun and your wandering moods wafting you faster and faster until you eventually plonk down on a nice sofa, kick your shoes off, ease your straps, take a swig of a long,cool iced drink and go-"Phew!".
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:15 pm
that's rather well put, spendius, although you do run on a bit.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:49 pm
Yes, spendius, you do run a bit, although I would agree with your last
20 or 25 words, since my sofa is quite nice to plunk down to while kicking off my shoes and taking a sip of water in the hopes of relief from this detestable heat and humidity we Californians are not accustomed to.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:32 am
I see now that when bigger and better sentences are written, Spendius will, undoubtedly, be the one to write them unless someone else beats him to the punch, so to speak.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:56 am
I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to dwolan for her beautifully turned compliment regarding my goodself and my feeble attempts at literary excellence which are undeserving of the fine example of litotes which her exquisitely refined taste has seen fit to direct its attention in my direction with such style and panache that I have ripped off my shirt and thrown it into the stands despite my knowing that the referee is duty bound to show me the yellow card for overexuberant celebration and that I will have to restrain myself from now on as a second offence will result in a red card and an early bath under the strict supervision of our severe hypercritical masseuse Miss P Jolly (44-24-38) whose task it is to keep us all in order and up to the job and eradicate our natural inclinations to squander our substance in frivolous and counter-productive exudations.
0 Replies