Spyware removal help

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 10:56 am
I have been having some problems with my computer.

I have run many removers and cleaners.
So far I have gotten the major problems resolved.

The one issue that I keep finding in reports, and I am not sure how to get rid of , Trend Micro calls

Quote:
an unchecked buffer in the routing and remote access service

Its description from TM is -

(MS06-025) Vulnerability in Routing and Remote Access Could Allow Remote Execution (911280)

Vulnerability Identifier: CVE-2006-2370, CVE-2006-2371
Discovery Date: Jun 13, 2006
Risk: Critical
Vulnerability Assessment Pattern File: 046
Affected Software:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

What can I do to get rid of this?
What is it?

I have used -
Stinger
TrendMicro
Panda
CWSshredder

My biggest problem lately has been that when I start my computer sometimes, my active desktop has been removed and only the basic WinXP shows up.
Upon restart, my desktop is restored.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 922 • Replies: 17
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:09 am
First, get current with your updates; you're missing at least This One. I suggest you immediately visit Microsoft Update and get busy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:11 am
consider it Done.

Thanks. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:20 am
Ok.
the updates went quickly.

I have been updating once a week, so I guess this means everything was current.

So, should I run TrendMicro again?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:29 am
To be sure that your computer is completely yuckware free, I suggest you do a complete re-write of your hard drive. You're going to have to backup all the files you want to save, but in the end you'll be ensured that your computer is 100 clean of yuckware, and over all, it'll probably run better too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:30 am
this I dont know how to do?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:02 pm
yes - i'd like to learn too.

the last couple of days, on A2K, my mouse when I click to go up to the next page, I'd pick up a virus FROM HERE!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:10 pm
Thats overkill, IMO - if you've got your updates current, lets try some other stuff first. Something which has a fair chance of helping you out at this point is the free trial version of Nick Skrepetos' SUPERAntiSpyware Professional - get the trial of the Pro version; its fully functional during the 2-week trial period. Read and understand the User Guide

From the Main Menu,click "Configuration and Preferences" over on the lower right-hand side.On the 1st tab, "Startup", DO NOT select "Start SUPERAntispyware when Windows starts" or "Automatic Updates", and be sure the 1st option under Startup Scanning is checked ("Do not scan when SuperAntiSpyware starts").On the 2nd tab, "Scanning Control", UNCHECK all but the last 2 options, "Close browsers ... " and "Scan for tracking cookies", even though that is counter to the offered recommendations - this is a just-this-one-time deal, so your entire machine gets scanned; later runs should be done with the recommended defaults. This time around, though, do it my way. On the 3rd tab, "Real-Time Protection", DO NOT select "Enable ... ". For now, ignore the rest of the tabs, go back to the "General and Startup" tab, and click "Check for Updates Now ... " (you may have to instruct your firewall to allow SUPERAntiSpyware to access the 'net) and let the app update.

Once you've downloaded, installed, configured, and updated it, close it without running it. Re-open it, have it check for updates once more, then run it, and report back here with your results.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

the last couple of days, on A2K, my mouse when I click to go up to the next page, I'd pick up a virus FROM HERE!!!!

No, you haven't "picked up a virus FROM HERE!!!!" - See THIS, THIS, and THIS.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
Yeah, a rewrite of the hard drive for the sole purpose of getting rid of yuckware might be overkill, but, depending on the amount of files you'd want to save from your hard drive, and the number of applications and programs you've installed on your computer, I think the process can be simpler than the involved process that is required to thoroughly clean a computer of yuckware. Also, it's good to re-write your hard drive every once in a while. It's like a make-over for your computer. The drawbacks are that you have to backup the files you want to save, you have to re-install the applications and programs you use that don't come with Windows, and you have to re-set all of your settings in Windows and the other applications and programs you use, because it'll be like starting with a new computer.

I have a friend that doesn't run a virus scanner or any anti-spyware applications. Whenever he gets suspicious of something going on like a virus or spyware, he just re-writes his hard-drive. Now, to me that's extreme, but he doesn't save a whole lot of files on his hard drive, and he doesn't have a lot of additional progs and apps, so it's not as time consuming for him as it would be for someone with a lot of files to save, and a lot of apps to install.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:57 pm
I agree in principle with the periodic "Format & Reinstall" school-of-thought, and in fact its pretty much an "annual maintenance" thing with my machines. However, all of my drivers, apps, any necessary keys/activation codes, and all important folders and settings are backed up in their latest versions, and I also image a freshly-fully-reinstalled drive before using it ... something not real common among typical home-users.

No matter how much its hammered, lotsa folks, home, institutional, and business users alike, just don't grasp the importance and convenience of regular backups to external drives and/or removable media. Too much effort, I s'pose.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:00 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

No, you haven't "picked up a virus FROM HERE!!!!" - See THIS, THIS, and THIS.

Well, why does it only occur when I click on the "next" button to go to the next page?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:03 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Well, why does it only occur when I click on the "next" button to go to the next page?

Because your updates, settings, and/or security/privacy software require attention.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:07 pm
I just finished running a anti-spyware scan and virus scan, I'm all updated....I hope this works...

timber...in laymans language, why would clicking on a particular area of a site cause a virus to come up? How does a virus attach itself to a function on a particular site.?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:24 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I just finished running a anti-spyware scan and virus scan, I'm all updated....I hope this works...

timber...in laymans language, why would clicking on a particular area of a site cause a virus to come up? How does a virus attach itself to a function on a particular site.?

It doesn't. However, something often otherwise wholly innocuous and altogether benign about the content or coding of a web page can trigger the execution of a malicious exploit resident on your machine due to inadequate attention paid to such things as good browsing, eMail, and chat practice, and/or updates and settings.

See: Safe Hex - Safe Computing Tips
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:04 pm
Little Bean just woke from her nap, so I have to post the scan results and run, but here it is---

EXPLORER32.EXE Worm ( 1 items)
Trojan.RBot/Variant ( 1 items )
Trojan.WinLoad32/System ( 3 times )

So i checked next and it said it will remove infected files, and needs to reboot.

I will be back before I go to work to see if there is anything else I need to do.

Smile

thanks!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:40 pm
I thought you were gonna say bean woke up from her nap, so you were gonna have her check it out... Laughing

BTW thanks timber.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 06:11 pm
Laughing

Little Bean isnt QUITE that technical yet..

though its funny to watch her "type" on the computer..

until it crashes that is.. Confused
0 Replies