What is defamation and how is it dealt with?

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:18 pm
Hi all you legal begalls out there, I have a question about defamation of character (in regards to Canadian Law) My husband has just started a new company and a company that provides a similar service has been saying things that are just not true, like that they will rip them off in money and charge to much for repairing things. I don't know how this could be possible since we have only been open for a few months and have only three steady clients who we have helped save almost 10000 dollars in comparison to the company that is bad mouthing us. Do we have a case of slander, as some of the untruths were published in a local paper or is it liable? What can we do from a legal stand point? This is our families income that these other people are messing with and I am at the point where it is time to start fighting back. Any help would be gratefully accepted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 625 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:04 am
Hi Leilajoy,

Libel is any defamation that is published.

Slander is verbal defamation.

I would suggest that you gather all written evidence regarding this matter, and make enquiries with a lawyer as to what can be done about the situation.

Good luck.

Oh....if this matter goes to Court and you win, don't forget to alert the local newspaper to the story, as it would make great publicity for your business, and quite the reverse for your competitor.
0 Replies