Into the Blue Remake?

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 06:57 am
When reading about Into the Blue (2005), it appears to me that the premiss of the film as far as I can gather it is strikingly similar to The Deep (1977). As in
Similar island setting (Bahamas vs Bermuda)
An old treasure ship is found by a good looking young diving couple
A sunken drug hoard is close by (cocaine vs morphine)
There is a rough treasure diver involved
There is a drug lord involved
There is sea life involved in eating baddies (sharks vs giant moray eel)

I haven't seen Into the Blue, but could it be another (unofficial) rehash of an old plot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,962 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:02 am
Are there any "new" plots?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:05 pm
Merely an opportunity for Paul Walker to waltz around wearing no shirt. An inert drama that might bore you into committing suicide.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 01:53 am
I guess I was a little rash in posting this, for when checking online comments on IMDB I found that I had not been the only one to notice this. Apparently, some of the people who worked on The Deep were also involved in making Into the Blue. I wonder how that works in Hollywood and how they avoid litigation (the threat of which seems to be omnipresent in the US). Perhaps Columbia had a deal with Peter Benchley?

Instead of copying one story, why not take another book, e.g. The Girl of the Sea of Cortez, and film something original? But I guess there wasn't enough action in that story, too soft for the pop corn public, and no love interest (unless you would consider a giant manta ray as such). But anyway, I can't for the life of me figure out why, with the enormous wealth of good stories around, many expensive Hollywood flicks are just flogging clichés to death. Such a waste of resources! In the cinematographic history of the European countries I know (such as Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands) remakes are practically unheard of, even sequels are rare.
0 Replies