First Website

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 05:06 pm
I'm a graphic designer, and have been asked lately a lot of times to create websites. My problem is, I don't know any of the HTML code, and I don't know how to create a site. I can design it up and down, but I need to know where I can learn the ins and outs of getting those up and running.

Would an HTML for dummies book be my best route?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,116 • Replies: 7
No top replies

parados

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 05:36 pm
If all you are doing is making pretty web pages that don't have to deal with data then get one of the many web design programs that does just that.

All you are doing is placing the pictures, text on the page. The program writes all the html for you.

A couple out there are Frontpage and Dreamweaver. Both allow you to do more than just placement but at the basic end they do all the html coding work. The also allow you to let them write the code and you can see what it looks like and make changes to it.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:37 am
Thanks for the help,
What about links to other parts of the site? Does it do that type of thing too?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:04 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
Thanks for the help,
What about links to other parts of the site? Does it do that type of thing too?

Yes, they allow you to set up links.

Some programs allow you to set up an entire website with the various pages linked and laid out based on what kind of website you are creating.

There are templates for people with fewer graphic skills who just want to put in some information and a few personal pictures. The backgrounds and graphic layout is already there. Many providers like aol and yahoo have simple web layout programs that help people set up their personal pages. Trellix used to come with Corel Wordperfect. I don't know if it still does. It had a way to set up all the pages on a website. Most programs probably still do that. You create a basic template and subpages.

I know dreamweaver and frontpage have the ability to set up php or asp pages which are pages that change dynamically like the a2k pages do depending on information entered. This requires some programming skill but it isn't that hard.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 11:36 am
Alrigty, thanks for the help
0 Replies

MeEaton

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:56 pm
A real simple and intutive site creator is X-Site Pro.

Ed
0 Replies

newsn01

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 03:14 am
why not to use dw instead?no need to know any html code..
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 09:05 pm
One thing to remember about creating your first website, the entire site must included in a single local directory. If you're using pictures from all over your hard drive, they must live in a subfolder beneath your .html pages. I suggest a subfolder called /Images. Once your ready to upload to your host server, all the links to the photos will be relative to the root directory.

Dreamweaver has a SiteMap option that lets you look at the site in an explorer-type view. Drag and drop links, very slick.

You may also want to search the many online tutorials for more tricks.

Here are some.

T
0 Replies