New test for detecting lung cancer early

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 11:04 am
Sounds like good news, an antibody profiling test for early small cell lung cancer detection in these articles - the first one is one of many news articles on it, the second is the original paper:

News article on test for early lung cancer detection

Journal of Thoracic Oncology: Volume 1(6) July 2006 pp 513-519
"Profiling Tumor-Associated Antibodies for Early Detection of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer"
Zhong, Li PhD; Coe, Sarah P. BS; Stromberg, Arnold J. PhD; Khattar, Nada H. PhD; Jett, James R. MD; Hirschowitz, Edward A. MD

You can read the original article if you click on the link at the end of the MedNews article - it seems to be a timed link and doesn't work when I try to put it in this post directly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,318 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:07 pm
From the Journal article:

Quote:
Briefly, individuals were eligible for the CT screening trial with a minimum 20 pack-year smoking history, age 50 to 75, and no other malignancy within 5 years of study entry.

So, this is smoking-related lung cancer. What about lung cancer detected in
nonsmokers? Likewise, female vs male lung cancer patients, as there are more women who develop this form of cancer ( lung cancer ), than men.

:wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:15 pm
I don't know, Miller - I'm thinking this is a major detection advance, if only for one kind of lung CA.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:52 pm
Based on the methods, there'll be a large % of false postives, in my opinion. :wink:
Jessica666

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 03:37 am
@Miller,
The immune therapy of cancer has been researched for years and it has made some progress. But most of them exit in paper of journal. When it will be used in the clinics.
0 Replies