Breathalyzer for lung cancer detection

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:24 am
New Breathalyzer Detects Lung Cancer

Quote:
...But now, a new breathalyzer has been developed that can detect lung cancer.

The team devised a sensor system made from nine chemiresistors that could respond to the biomarkers by altering their electrical properties. The chemiresistors were assembled from gold nanoparticles that are 5nm in diameter and functionalized with different organic compounds that allowed them to sense the biomarkers.

When the researchers exposed the sensors to untreated breath samples, they obtained readings that clearly distinguished between the exhalations of healthy patients and those with lung cancer. Regardless of the humidity of the breath, the gender of its source, or their smoking habits, the sensors were able to detect the lung cancer biomarkers. The sensors were also capable of working with a wide range of concentrations, and the process was reversible, meaning the nanoparticles can be reused.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:35 pm
@DrewDad,
I read somewhere they also are training dogs to sniff out cancer in people as well. Let me see if I can find it... I found it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/12/health/webmd/main1204680.shtml
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@DrewDad,
It's nice to read that progress is being made in cancers like this!

Gala wrote:

I read somewhere they also are training dogs to sniff out cancer in people [...]

Yes, I saw a segment on TV, some time back, about this. It was a program about the various things that dogs are being trained for. Amazing and wonderful!
0 Replies