Music of The Empire of the Sun

J-B

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:43 am
There is a hymn, very moving hymn chanted for quite some times in the movie The Empire of the Son. Now I'm desperately try to find out its name for one of my friends. Can anybody help me with that

Thanks , JB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 853 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:59 am
J.B. I have not seen the movie, but here is the soundtrack:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=1593
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 08:44 am
Thanks Letty I think I have found it: SUO GAN

The Empire of the Sun, which was directed by Steven Spielberg, might be the first Hollywood movie shot in PR China Smile
If next time you saw its DVD didn't forget to pay more attention to it. I assure you it's worth that.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:08 am
J-B, I am glad that I could be of help. Now you have intrigued me, my friend. I may just have to watch that film.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 01:19 am
Smile

http://www.allstarz.org/~malkovich/pics/92.jpg
http://www.albany.edu/writers-inst/graphics/empiresun2.gif

(I am quite embarrassed that this thread can be featured...)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:44 am
Part of the film was shot in Shanghai, but here is the location list, courtesy of IMDb:

Filming Locations for
Empire of the Sun (1987)

Elstree Film Studios, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England, UK

Knutsford, Cheshire, England, UK

Shanghai, China

Sunningdale, Berkshire, England, UK

The score is by John Williams but I believe the hymn may be borrowed.

Trebujena, Cádiz, Andalucía, Spain

Never a big fan of this film -- parts of it are moribund and looked too much like film academics. Christian Bale is the high point of the movie. Of course, there are the usual Spielberg "tableau shots," meant to be iconic like ET racing across the moon on the bicycle. It's the ingredients inbetween that are too often flawed.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 08:54 pm
It also contains the most iconic shot of a P-51D ever commited to film.I saw this film when first released,many years ago,and loved it.When my son was around Jim's age,I showed it to him,and he loved it.My grandson also loved it only a couple of years ago.With a lot of spielberg films,I think you have to see them through young eyes,as he does when making them.One of the GREATEST movie storytellers of MY time.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 09:05 pm
ANYTHING scoreing over a 7.0 /10 on IMDB is worth a view in my book.At the moment,this film scores 7.5The scene where Jim sings the Hymn over the barbed wire is a memorable part of the film.He's showing respect,misguided or not,to what is about to happen.
As an aside,can any Welsh speakers give us a translation of this Hymn?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:34 am
I weigh the popular vote against the critical response. The film did just okay box office and here's Ebert's **1/2 star review which is one of his I agree with entirely:

EBERT REVIEW OF EMPIRE

Or Desson in The Washington Post:

NY POST REVIEW

J. J. Ballard's novel is a perfect source for a Spielberg film. It's just not one of Spielberg's best even though I will give him and A for effort on this one. I just wouldn't bother watching it again.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:44 am
I can remember seeing this film a couple of years back.
I thought 'a Christian Bale film, Il definately watch that!!'
Sat down, saw a young boy who looked alot like Bale, I thought 'they will flash forward at some point and the boy will be grown up and played by Bale'

Took me a long time to realise the young boy WAS Bale and the film was made in 1987!!
0 Replies