AV protection

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:58 am
I use AOL, but occasionally go to Intrnet Explorer via AOL. I notice that IE has many popups and ads that I can't even click off. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have Norton AV, AdAware and Spybot. Do any or all of these work when I have gone to IE via AOL? If so, how come I get all this junk on IE? And how can I get rid of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,416 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:19 am
Hmmm. I just get them on AOL, none, when using IE - nearly none, since there are some, I want.
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:06 am
Tomkitten, your Norton, Adaware and Spybot should be working no matter what browser you use, but , none of the 3 will block popups.
You can purchase software that will block those pesky buggers: $$$
I use Crazy Browser. It's a browser that automatically blocks all popups and ads and it's free Cool : www.crazybrowser.com
If like Walter you want some of the ads, it can be configured accordingly.
The interface of Crazy is based on the Internet Explorer interface.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:04 pm
AV protection
AOL has just recently developed an anti-popup feature, and it works well. The only popups I get are a crazy notice from AOL itself about art files and a weekly popup from IE about instant messaging.

But your response brings up another question: if something *specifically* uses IE as its interface, will it work on AOL? Confused
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:07 pm
No, at least not with my version (7.0).
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 02:59 pm
Did you just purchase your computer with a free 6month/1year full membership in aol?
When I bought my xp, it came with a 6 month aol deal which I used. The trade-off being lots of pops and ads on the IE browser.
It could be aol will not let you block ads on independant software.
You could try the Crazy Browser or the blockers for pay,(some come with a 30 free trial), and see if it works,
if not just uninstall: start/control panel/ add or remove hardware.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 03:10 pm
AV protection
No, I've had this computer for a couple of years now, and it didn't come with any particular AOL deal.

Since I don't really use IE much, and then only via AOL (not having a subscription to IE) I'm not too bothered, only more curious. I keep being tempted to switch, but either I'm chicken or I'm lazy - don't really know which.

And you may well be right - AOL may block the blocking, so to speak, for IE. At the moment AOL does so well with blocking ads and popups that I doubt I need anything else. But if I switch, that would be a different story.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 05:42 pm
I use this popup stopper: http://download.com.com/3000-2366-10186560.html?tag=lst-0-1

As well as the www.alexa.com toolbar on occasion.
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 08:27 am
Craven, thanks for the info, the Pop up stopper looks very flexible, it even blocks windows messenger. It took me about 2 months to figure out how to disable messenger.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:40 am
is this as well as things like History kill and Spybot?? all this is new so forgive me if i sound dim Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:10 am
History killers are odd programs, they simply do what you could already do with a few clicks in windows.

Spybot is a adware removal tool.

The title of the thread is about anti-virus programs.

The SUBJECT of the thread is popup stoppers.

It's no wonder you are confused. :-)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
mmm yes Embarrassed

I am reading my way through these computer threads and learning loads.

Will this programme mentioned earlier in this thread stop these Vanessa's with a web cam in their room or want to meet a boy???? Rolling Eyes

I get fed up clicking these off.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:40 pm
Vivien,

To stop ads you need either a popup stopper or an ad blocking program.

It sounds like you are talking about popup ads.

I use this popup stopper (the free version):

http://www.panicware.com/popupstopper.html
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
Craven - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy XXXX

really no more Susanne and her webcam?? I've downloaded it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:33 pm
Here, I thought you were talking about altra violet rays. Wink I use 45. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:37 pm
If they are popups that program will get 'em.

Just one thing, remember to learn to turn it on and off. Disabling popups hurts the functionality of some sites.

I personally only start the program when I am about to visit a site that I know will have popups that annoy me.
0 Replies