What you are I once was, what I am you will surely become.

ozcab

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:08 am
Well the quote is from Horace but clearly gets referenced over the centuries; the most recent is Damien Hirst in his contemplations, around 2006, before commissioning the famous diamond skull, currently on display in Florence where Masaccio's Trinity exists with the same reference at its base.
0 Replies

sly78

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:01 pm
@kahnmartinj,
It could be from the legend of the three living and the three dead, a medieval tale from at least the 13th century. The plot of "the legend" is rather simple: three corpses (representing ecclesiastics) meet with three living (a duke, a count, and a prince). The latter are terrified by this encounter. The dead speak to the three rich men, urging them to repent: "Such as I was you are, and such as I am you will be. Wealth, honor and power are of no value at the hour of your death.".
0 Replies

mushrome

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 12:31 am
To all! Simply ask a Joker.
0 Replies

Silky9

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 05:59 am
On the Hill of Tara, in Ireland, one tombstone reads "As you are now, so once was I; As I am now, so you shall be; remember man, Eternity"
0 Replies

joed9106

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 12:28 pm
@contrex,
I believe this is the correct answer. I just got back from a visit to Jordan and the old Roman city, Um Gais. There was a doorway there that read loosely translated " To the righteous, How you are, I once was, and how I am, you will be, So take enjoyment in life, because life is an art".
0 Replies

Lederman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:10 pm
@Reyn,
OMG a Noddy quote I am humbled by the memory. Kudos to you.
0 Replies

piperfoot

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 03:04 pm
Rumors of the death of this thread are greatly exaggerated.
0 Replies

piperfoot

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 03:06 pm
@contrex,
Rumors of the death of this thread have been greatly exaggerated.
0 Replies

narlight

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2021 02:50 pm
@kahnmartinj,
I saw this quote in Silent Hill 3. It was mentioned when Heather was reading a fairy tale about a priestess that defeated the monster that was ailing an old town:

"... But the priestess used neither sword nor spear. She chanted but a single spell. TU FUI, EGO ERIS. Do you know what happened then? The monster let out a huge cry and then died and vanished! ..."

It was an intriguing story to say the least. Highly recommend checking out the game if you're interested.

0 Replies

The game1230

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 06:48 am
@GadeTerbob,
I tell my sons where you are I have been where I am you are going .that is the best saying .
0 Replies

Quickcalf

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2023 06:49 pm
@HappySlappy,
Still very helpful over a decade later
0 Replies

maxpearson

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2024 05:12 pm
Hello All, I am currently taking Art History, learning Humanism and studying Massacio. I have just come into this quote, and now I see this thread is nearly older than I. Hello From the Future! No flying cars...
0 Replies

Alexjaythiessen

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2024 11:36 pm
@contrex,
Some of you who commented may have become by now
0 Replies