Texas says "Kinky" can be on ballot

echi

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:52 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
nuh uh....sorry echi, but that's a cop out. That's no answer to my question(s)

be specific....what subject was presented....immigration, taxes, education where Friedman had any type of specific grasp of the problem, had a well thought out process to implement, and any idea of when or how he would reach a goal.

He didn't make the others look bad, he made himself look like a fool.

Tell me, what exactly IS his plan for anything beyond hiring Willie Nelson or "doing whatever it takes", whatever that means?

Where was the substance?

Yeah, where was the substance? Kinky's a funny guy, but the biggest joke of the evening was the "debate", itself.
What impressed you so much about the others that you can't see how full of sh!t they are? Be specific.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:06 am
As I alluded before, I WASN'T particularly impressed with the others either.

Each one at some point, would listen to the question from the panel, then immediatley segway into their own agenda.....Strayhorn with her "Texas First, Perry with his $2,000 per person property tax cut. (as opposed to Strayhorn prediction it's more like $56.00 per person. I think the truth lies somewhere in between) and Bell with his Dale Carnegie style of communication.

One point I will give to Bell was the non-response he gave to the panelist who asked, essentially "What do you have to say about those who say you have the pesonality of white rice?"

I say good for him for ignoring that barb and continuing on in his, albeit staid way, presenting his platform.

This is not American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance. It's running a state. It is, as Edgar said, serious.

As far as non-sequitors go, Friedman did take the cake. In the segment where each debater had the opportunity to take 30 seconds to ask another debater a question, Friedman was, if you'll remember, instructed to ask a question of Bell.

Paraphrased, it went a little something like this...."Well Congressman Bell, as we all know, Gov. Perry is a weasely snake in the grass who...blah, blah, blah.....
Just as the moderator started to call "time" Friedman blurts out to Bell...."So what do you think about that?"

Moving forward....

I do have a few questions re the dabate that I'd ask anyone reading to clarify for me, as I'm not at all political myself.

Re: Strayhorn...Government in the Sunshine or Monies assigned to friends? What exactly are the facts in this?

Re: The Texas Corridor.....Preparing for the future, or boondoggle?

Re: Property taxes....What WILL the average Joe see as relief?

Oh, and Echi....are you trying to emmulate the other 3? I notice you still have not answered my question, but only tried to distract with one of your own.

Now that I have answer your question, will you answer mine?

Again, what did Friedman say during the debate that outlined specifically any of his plans.....or, any plans at all?

I would be very wary of someone who keeps repeating "whatever it takes". I'm terrified of what that "whatever" entails where the rubber hits the road.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
Chai Tea wrote:

Each one at some point, would listen to the question from the panel, then immediatley segway into their own agenda.....Strayhorn with her "Texas First, Perry with his $2,000 per person property tax cut. (as opposed to Strayhorn prediction it's more like $56.00 per person. I think the truth lies somewhere in between) and Bell with his Dale Carnegie style of communication.

One point I will give to Bell was the non-response he gave to the panelist who asked, essentially "What do you have to say about those who say you have the pesonality of white rice?"

I say good for him for ignoring that barb and continuing on in his, albeit staid way, presenting his platform.

Ehm, sorry, I'm with Echi here. You approach her quite agressively because she hasnt been able to give any examples of things of substance that Friedman had to offer. Your own point is that this is serious business, you go on about how this isnt American Idol, the candidates should have serious things to offer --and Kinky didnt do that at all. Implying that the others, unimpressive as they may have been, at least did. But you cant apparently give any example of things of substance that the others said either.

As far as I can tell the only thing of substance that you have referred to re Strayhorn and Perry so far is their 'he said she said' on tax cuts that may or may not be of substance themselves. All your other remarks on Perry, Strayhorn and Bell are also merely about style, just like Echi's about Kinky was. Bell's Dale Carnegie style of communication, Bell was staid, but reacted sensibly to being called staid. Perry, Bell and Strayhorn at least dressed like it was business, Perry and Bell wore ties. And so on and so forth. None of that comes down to points of any more substance than Echi saying that at least Kinky made the others look bad.

Way I see it, all either of you have said about the debate has been about style, personal impression, the way they had of expressing themselves - nothing, apart from the 'he said she said' about taxes, about one or the other candidate's actual policies, proposals, ideas. So I think your demand of Echi is a bit unfair here. You want her to prove that Kinky had something of substance to say, but you yourself havent shown anything that proves your opposing take, that the others had more substance than Kinky, either.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:32 am
Some irreverent moments from Friday night's debate
Irreverent moments from the debate
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF
DALLAS - 10/7/06

Some irreverent moments from Friday night's debate:

Dressed to thrill: Independent Kinky Friedman didn't disappoint - he came dressed in his trademark black outfit, complete with cowboy hat and had cigar (unlit) in hand. Republican incumbent Rick Perry and Democrat Chris Bell appeared in business suits and blue power ties. Carole Keeton Strayhorn wore a bright salmon-colored blazer.

Flunking the test: Strayhorn got thrown when asked to name the new president of Mexico. She knew he won by a slim margin. She knew Mexico was important. But she didn't know the name of President-elect Felipe Calderon.

Passing the test: Bell scored bonus points when he correctly answered that the Alamo fell in 1836.

Sounds like he knew the answer: When asked what the electricity bill was in August at the Governor's Mansion, Perry answered $3,000-$4,000, reminding viewers that it's a big house. Enterprising reporters will try to find out the bill first thing next week.

Best excuse for not knowing the answer: Friedman quibbled with panelist Wayne Slater of the Dallas Morning News when Slater said the candidate was using inaccurate information in his campaign. "I don't use the Internet -- I think it's the tool of Satan."

Best comeback: "Who raised you? I was raised by a black lady who taught me Jesus Christ was color blind." Friedman's response to Slater, who asked about accusations that Friedman has made racist comments about blacks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:41 am
I haven't clicked on the link yet, but I assume it's the debate in full:

THE DEBATE
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:57 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I haven't clicked on the link yet, but I assume it's the debate in full:

THE DEBATE

It is. Thanks a lot! I'm watching it now.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:09 am
nimh wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Ehm, sorry, I'm with Echi here. You approach her quite agressively because she hasnt been able to give any examples of things of substance that Friedman had to offer. Your own point is that this is serious business, you go on about how this isnt American Idol, the candidates should have serious things to offer --and Kinky didnt do that at all. Implying that the others, unimpressive as they may have been, at least did. But you cant apparently give any example of things of substance that the others said either.

As far as I can tell the only thing of substance that you have referred to re Strayhorn and Perry so far is their 'he said she said' on tax cuts that may or may not be of substance themselves. All your other remarks on Perry, Strayhorn and Bell are also merely about style, just like Echi's about Kinky was. Bell's Dale Carnegie style of communication, Bell was staid, but reacted sensibly to being called staid. Perry, Bell and Strayhorn at least dressed like it was business, Perry and Bell wore ties. And so on and so forth. None of that comes down to points of any more substance than Echi saying that at least Kinky made the others look bad.

Way I see it, all either of you have said about the debate has been about style, personal impression, the way they had of expressing themselves - nothing, apart from the 'he said she said' about taxes, about one or the other candidate's actual policies, proposals, ideas. So I think your demand of Echi is a bit unfair here. You want her to prove that Kinky had something of substance to say, but you yourself havent shown anything that proves your opposing take, that the others had more substance than Kinky, either.

Nimh....Again, I have ALREADY stated twice I did not think any other the others were particulary impressive....am I going to need to repeat myself yet again later?

As for acting "aggressively" toward Echi (who I thought was a man, sorry), I'm simply asking for an answer, which as not yet been provided. Impressions are extremely important in this matter. Friedman is someone who will fold under pressure.

Also, perhaps Echi should be allowed to speak for herself.

Substance? OK, Perry discussed his property tax bill which should save the average homeowner $2000 a year, this is debatable, but it is something to research and ask about, which I have done above. Also, the Texas Corridor, which Perry says is necessary for the infrastructure of Texas because of our tremdous growth.
Strayhorn? Seemed to concentrate more on educational issues...raising teacher salaries, and eliminating the TAS test.
Bell....from what I can recall without reviewing the show, he spoke mostely of education also. The fact that both Strayhorn and Bell both spoke out against the Texas Corridor is in itself of substance. As far as handling questions, they were able to give at least some substance as they were prepared for questioning, and were able to anticipate what was going to be asked. One must be prepared to run a state, but just respond on the fly to questions.

Did you see the debate?

I suppose what I find so annoying about this whole thing is that those who will vote for Friedman are just taking votes away from the candidate who is experienced and prepared to do the job.

Oh yeah BBB....saying he didn't use the internet in itself was bad enough....but calling it the work of satan?

I want our next governor to be a person who does not know how to send an email.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:18 am
Having seen the debate in full now, I pity Texas for having to choose between the four candidates I watched. None of them candidly answered the questions the journalists had asked. None of them gave me an idea of how they might govern. All of them were full of clichés and stereotypical soundbites. If I had to rank the candidates' debating from least bad to worst, it would be Bell, Perry, Strayhorn, Friedman, in spite of my substantial bias in favor of outsiders. But for the most part, the four candidates seemed but slightly different shades of the same gray to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:22 am
I agree with you, Thomas, except I feel Strayhorn fared the worst, because it seemed she got caught in the most lies concerning her past.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:23 am
Thomas
I find the whole campaign not relevant because the Texas governorship is largely a ceremonial position with limited real power beyond the bully pulpit. The real governing power is with the speaker of the house.

This is one reason why George W. bush was so ill-prepared to be president.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:25 am
Re: Thomas
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I find the whole campaign not relevant because the Texas governorship is largely ceremonial position with limited real power beyond the bully pulpit. The real governing power is with the speaker of the house.

This is one reason why George W. Cush was so ill-prepared to be president.

BBB

I disagree, BBB. The current president was tha last Texas governor, and he is not the only Texan president to have served. It's a very important place to be.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:28 am
Re: Thomas
edgarblythe wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I find the whole campaign not relevant because the Texas governorship is largely ceremonial position with limited real power beyond the bully pulpit. The real governing power is with the speaker of the house.

This is one reason why George W. Cush was so ill-prepared to be president.

BBB

I disagree, BBB. The current president was tha last Texas governor, and he is not the only Texan president to have served. It's a very important place to be.

Only for political purposes, not for competence.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:31 am
The TX gov. has not only a bully pulpit, he/she has the power of veto.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:32 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I suppose what I find so annoying about this whole thing is that those who will vote for Friedman are just taking votes away from the candidate who is experienced and prepared to do the job.

I agree with you (and with Edgar, who also made this point earlier in the thread). But did you notice how the two made an effort to be nice to each other? For example, did you Friedman's softball question to Bell and his 'rebuttal' that was all agreement and no rebuttal? That was one of the few moments I actually found interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of deal between them before November. Phantasizing a bit, I envision Friedman drop out two weeks before the election to give Bell a boost in momentum; Bell, in turn, nominates Friedman his biodiesel man. Something like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:37 am
It's obvious, neither Bell nor Friedman can be elected without such a deal. Just a question of whether Kinky wants to serve or really just seeks a moment of self promotion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:44 am
Thanks Thomas...you've given me food for thought re all the candidates.

yes, very gray.

You're right, Friedman will drop out....and write a book about his experience...or lose, and do the same.

I have a gut feeling about Strayhorn about her not being totally honest, but I have nothing to back that up.

I suppose I'm up in the air between Perry and Bell.

I feel as though it's choosing between the lesser of two evils.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
The three challengers zinged Perry on the highway projects, but that's something I predict will not be changed, once all the votes are counted. I support Bell, in part because I think he would be an okay governor, and also because I support non Republicans almost automatically.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I have a gut feeling about Strayhorn about her not being totally honest, but I have nothing to back that up.

Why thanks, Chai, for bringing this up. This issue is so important. That's why I'm so excited to be here this evening to get my message out. In a Thomas thread, we are going to tell people the truth. We are going to let the sunshine into A2K. We are going to stir things up with all those the A2K insiders. I've never been the darling of those folks in San Diego, and Wisconsin, and, er, wherever it is that Jespah is living. That's why people here are so excited about my posting campaign.

(Did you notice how she ducked the question who the newly elected Mexican president is? Ouch.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 02:59 pm
HA!

You are Fabulous Thomas!

Yea, I was thinking it was Vicente Fox still...but I have an excuse, see my signature line....
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:03 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Oh, and Echi....are you trying to emmulate the other 3? I notice you still have not answered my question, but only tried to distract with one of your own.

You're distracting yourself. I already answered your question. Maybe you're so eager to pick a fight that you're reckless in making your assumptions. Read it, again, if you're still interested. I don't have the will to explain it to you.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:20:39