Texas says "Kinky" can be on ballot

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 05:27 pm
This is one Texan who's voting for Chris Bell [Democrat] this election. The other cadidates are Perry [Republican], and Strayhorne [independent, but a Republican].
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:51 pm
Does Bell stand a chance?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:04 pm
Ah - reading the WaPo article Soz just linked in -

Quote:
The Democrats, who haven't won a statewide race in Texas since 1994, nominated Chris Bell, an obscure former one-term congressman from Houston. Bell doesn't have a nickname, but he's frequently referred to as "What's-his-name, the Democrat."

Hhmmm Confused

and

Quote:
Some polls show Kinky running second to Perry. [..]

Kinky's campaign has raised more than $3.4 million -- more than Bell but far less than Perry or Strayhorn

Looks like Kinky's still the best bet for an alternative to the Repubs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:13 pm
Anyone who bets against Perry will be sorely disappointed.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:21 pm
More...

Quote:
he complains about people who complain that his speeches are full of one-liners: "All politicians speak in one-liners and sound bites. They're just not as funny as mine."

He quotes Mark Twain. He quotes Oscar Wilde. He quotes a pig farmer he met while campaigning: "You ain't worth a damn," the farmer told Kinky, "but you're better than what we got."

Heh x two Razz

Quote:
Kinky Friedman has lived a life that could, and soon might, inspire the world's most entertaining political attack ad.

Preliminary conclusion: Kinky's a joke ... but then, Rick Perry's a bad joke.

A biographical contrast:

Quote:
by the early '80s, his career was tanking, his longtime girlfriend had died in a car crash and he was doing way too much dope. "He was high on 27 different herbs and spices," says Jimmie "Ratso" Silman, a Washington TV cameraman who has played backup guitar for Kinky off and on since the '70s. "He was a different person back then, definitely fairly repellent as a human being."

versus

Quote:
Smith [is] fond of Kinky. In fact, he's fond of both Kinkys. "There's definitely the act and the person," he says. "The person is more insecure and more sweet. He is one of the most genuinely sweet-tempered people I've ever met. [..]

"There's a definite sadness about him. [..] His mother and father are dead -- he was very close to them -- and he's not married. In a way, this campaign is a way for him to be out with a lot of people."

And conclusion #2:

Quote:
He just thought of a great new line to use in his stump speech. He pauses dramatically, then reveals it: "I'm not like them." [..]

He's right about that. No matter who "them" is, Kinky's not like them. If Texans want to elect a certified non-them as governor, they'll know where to find him.

I wanna "not like them", in my countries, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:26 pm
I don't oppose Kinky for being an independant. [Heck, I voted for Nader twice]. I just haven't heard him offer anything particularly stand out better.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:41 pm
Since I can't vote in Texas my opinion doesn't add up to a small hill of pinto beans. But, since I can't vote in the Lone Star State (even though at one time, about 1991, I think it was, I was granted honorary citizenship by the Mayor of Dallas), it's safe for me to say this. I'd vote for Kinky in a heartbeat for this very good reason: he has never held political office. He carries no political baggage and owes nobody any favors. Perry getting elected would mean a continuation of the status quo. If you think that's good, go for it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:43 pm
I haven't a speck of respect for Perry. That doesn't change my assessment he will win.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:17 pm
I hold no brief against Chris Bell, edgar. But, by the looks of the latest polls, Kinky has a better chance of beating Perry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:19 pm
Ah, but I don't have to vote that way and won't. I vote my conscience, not polls.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
nimh wrote:
Quote:
Kinky's campaign has raised more than $3.4 million -- more than Bell but far less than Perry or Strayhorn

Looks like Kinky's still the best bet for an alternative to the Repubs.

Plus, a vote for him is a vote against the Democratic/Republican oligopoly in American politics. Kind of like voting for Ralph Nader, but without the risk of helping elect a president Bush as a side effect. I can definitely see the case for voting Friedman.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:11 pm
If Kinky echoed substantial of my convictions, I might be pursuaded. But it takes more than merely being an outsider.

Consider also, the Texas governor is practically a figurehead. His greatest powers are probably vetos and bully pulpit. Without the good will of Republicans and Democrats, I doubt Kinky will be looking good to voters after a few months on the job.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
Kinky charms the Fort Worth Rotary Club with talk of ecofriendly biodiesel.

(Now theres a surrealist headline if there ever was one)

Quote:
Friedman: Nelson should lead energy

Fri Aug 18, 10:05 PM ET

FORT WORTH, Texas - Independent gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman on Friday reiterated his top pick to implement his energy plan that emphasizes renewable sources: Willie Nelson.

Friedman said the country singer/songwriter and benefactor of biodiesel was a natural choice to lead a state energy department or commission, which he wants to create. He also said Nelson "would never have his hand in Texas' pocket."

"My plan is to appoint the best people I can find, get out of the way and let them work ... people whose only agenda is to do the right thing for the people of Texas," Friedman told the Fort Worth Rotary Club. "... I really believe that musicians can better run this state than politicians."

A Texas biodiesel supplier partnered with Nelson to develop the BioWillie brand of the clean-burning fuel for truckers. It is made from used vegetable oils or soybeans and is blended with diesel, and does not require modification to diesel engines.

Nelson is on the board of directors of Dallas-based Earth Biofuels, which produces biodiesel and is the exclusive distributor of Nelson's signature brand of biodiesel. Nelson did not immediately return calls seeking comment Friday.

Friedman, who unveiled his energy plan Thursday, said he plans to have 35,000 school buses running on biodiesel fuel, as well as his own vehicle. He said as it catches on, some 7 percent or 8 percent of Texans will be trying biodiesel, resulting in lower prices at gas stations because of supply and demand.

"What you're going to see is Texas finally leading the way instead of following behind all the time, being first in something besides executions, toll roads and property taxes," he said.

The other gubernatorial candidates running Nov. 7 are Republican Gov. Rick Perry, Democrat Chris Bell, independent candidate Carole Keeton Strayhorn, the state comptroller, and Libertarian James Werner.

Friedman said Perry, Bell and Strayhorn have a combined 89 years of political experience among them.

"I think politics is the only field in which the more experience you have, the worse you get," Friedman told the crowd of about 300, which roared with laughter throughout his speech. "So I think it's time we had a non-politician as governor."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:10 pm
Kinky forgot to acknowledge that Nelson had trouble paying income taxes and had to be "helped" by the government.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 07:58 am
I'm losing some interest in Kinky..

Quote:
Friedman wants 10,000 troops at border

Kinky Friedman, the proudly politically incorrect entertainer running for governor, said Wednesday he wouldn't put just 1,500 National Guard troops on the Texas-Mexico border, he'd send 10,000.

"We've waited 153 years for the feds to help us," Friedman said. "They haven't yet. We have our own army. I want 10,000 Texas National Guard troops on the border and I want them now."

It was one of four broad policy issues Friedman outlined Wednesday along with crime in Houston, state spending and taxes.

On Houston's crime problem, Friedman said Hurricane Katrina evacuees who relocated to the city and break the law or refuse to find jobs should be sent back to Louisiana.

"I'm just kind of stunned other politicians are not talking about this stuff and are not doing anything," Friedman said. [..]

On the issue of crime, Friedman said he would give $100 million in state money to Houston to address a spike in violence since Hurricane Katrina.

Friedman also said he would cap state spending at current levels, with any increases adjusted for inflation, population increases and unforeseen disasters.

He said he would abolish the state business tax, which taxes gross business income and was a key element of the school finance reform passed by the legislature in a special session earlier this year. The existing state budget surplus of at least $11 billion could make up any shortfall, he said. [..]

Perry campaign spokesman Robert Black dismissed Friedman's proposals. He said it wasn't clear whether the 10,000 troops Friedman wanted even were available for deployment and that using surplus money "would be fine for about a year, then what do you do?"

A Bell spokeswoman, Heather Guntert, said, "I'd be very interested in someone figuring out the implications of freezing all the spending. It's not a serious response to a serious problem."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:06 am
Hmm. That stuff isn't encouraging.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
Kinky's definitely a character, but he doesn't have the kind of the character we need.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:16 pm
Kinky is an interesting diversion, but he don't have what it takes to be my choice in politics.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:38 pm
I'm a little surprised -- taken aback even -- at his statement re: the border guards. That attitude is so un-kinkylike.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:31:04