Irrational Tendencies & Critical Self-Consciousness

coberst

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 03:40 am
Irrational Tendencies of the Mind & Critical Self-consciousness

Our mind tends to be dominated by the ego and the group when we have not yet become critically self-conscious. I am not an expert in these matters (such has never hindered me from expressing my considered opinion) but from the things I read regarding critical self-consciousness they make sense to me.

Ego influences me by:
I think it is true therefore it is.
I want it to be true therefore it is.

Group influences me by:
The group name identifies me.
The group influences my associations.
The group is us and the non group is them.
What we do is good what they do is bad.

I suspect that the ego domination was the natural human condition during early evolution and slowly the ego morphed (transformed) into a group in some areas of consciousness (focused attention).

I think that Madison Avenue (advertising agencies) and the oligarchy (non elective group running the nation in that group's interest) have learned to manipulate our egocentric and sociocentric characteristics for the advantages of marketing interests. Our ego drives us to buy the BIG car and our group drives us to dominate the other group in the interest of our group.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 468 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:45 am
coberst wrote:

That's pretty much how and why stuff like advertising, religion, and mob frenzy works.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:40 pm
Yes. But the real question for doers is what to actually do about it.

If

Quote:
our lack of critical self-consciousness.

is like "our" feet or "our" digestive system. We might like having a lack of critical self-consciousness. I get it all the time. Especially in the pub or on certain occasions I would rather not discuss in such a short post as this is intended to be if I don't knock off running off at the mouth like Setanta said I was doing on an other occasion.

Puritinism has been tried. Leave us alone. There's no scientific evidence I know of which says it's a bad thing. Imagine if we all suddenly became critically self-conscious as a result of reading Chuck's lofty strictures and
timbers sarcastic,aloof sneerings at us normals. All the traffic would snarl up with us all flashing our lights to show we approved of others going first.
By the time the joint was shut down all the batteries would be flat and the petrol tanks empty.

And Mr Bush found he couldn't bring himself to sign the order to sort it out with his hand shaking like a leaf because it would look bad in the archives and they would say he had been on the pop again.

All in all a bit of critical self-consciousness is all right but it shouldn't be taken too far and being critically self-conscious about being critically self-conscious is not far off where I would call a halt. I do usually make sure I haven't got odd coloured socks on if I'm going to a posh do although I did once wear odd coloured socks on purpose but that's another story which there isn't the space to relate just at the moment.

I'm pushed for time because I'm the innocent victim of a whole raft of critical self-consciousness which swirls around me like the dust in a violent desert windstorm.

And I'm not keen on ratchets being applied to it.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:16 pm
too much self-consiousness has another name: paranoia.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:18 pm
Some paranoids, however, actually do have people out to get them . . .

I've long proposed exactly this, but under the rubric of tribalism. I don't know that it's exactly a new idea, but it remains an interesting one.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 03:12 pm
hmm... if they do have people following them.. are they really paranoids?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:19 pm
I wouldn't mind some of the girls on here following me about.
0 Replies