i know im over weight i just need help

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:41 pm
i'm about 5'1 5"2 and i'm 15 and a half and weigh about 190 i want to lose weight i box but it feels like i don't lose any of it i've been at the same weight for a while now and i don't want to gain or stay at the same weight anymore i want to lose it but i don't know wat to do i feel like no ones pushing me to do it i want someone to just help me out with pushing and checking up on my with my eating habits and exercise please if your willing to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 694 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:21 am
Stars, welcome to A2K. Well, my young friend, you have taken the first step in the right direction, and that is self awareness. Genetics has a great deal to do with weight, I think, so examine your family's propensity to add the pounds without too much effort. Then decide about your diet. We wish you luck, and hope to hear more from you on this topic.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:55 am
The ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat less and exercise more. Not less food, but less calories. Eat all the veggies and fruit you want....

It takes approximatly burning 3500 calories to lose a pound! Which explains why weight loss is so hard.

If you are serious about this, you need to be exercising 30-45 minutes a day, 4-5 times a week. That's for the weight loss. When you get to where you want to be, maintaining it will be so much easier.

Take a walk. Walking a mile burns about 100 calories. 100 extra calories you'd not have burned otherwise.

I have started walking my dog every morning. 1 mile. Then 3-4 days a week, I am going to the gym, which burns usually about 150 on the eliptical machine.

It might not sound like much but once you get your metabolism going, your body will burn calories more efficiently while you do things you do every day....like sit in school or type an email.

Get active. Eat fruits, veggies and limit breads, meats and sweets. I don't know what your home life is like. Your family may make it difficult for you to eat healthy. Some homes are just that way, if mom cooks and it's fried chicken and potatoes and dumplings for dinner every night.

But if this is the case, you aren't doomed. Portion control is also huge. Limit your portions. You might feel hungry for the first few days but that's because your body is used to talking in probably what is twice what it should be (most Americans eat twice or three times as much as they should in a sitting).

There is a virtual weight loss thread here with people that will motivate you and praise you and push you when you need it.

If you really want to push yourself, come here every day and write down what you ate and what your activity was the day before. Make sure you don't lie because while we might not know you lied, you will know and the only thing that will come of it is failure at this lifestyle change.

Keep your chin up and understand that while you may not be stick thing ever (some people are just not built that way) you can be healthier and look and feel better!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:18 am
That's some great advice given by Bella. I've been struggling with my weight and with confidence issues resulting from it for years. Recently, I (finally) got tired of feeling sorry for myself and began to do something about it. I've changed my eating habits, and I started doing cardio and light weigh lifting. This combination, from what I understand, is what produces the greatest results for weight loss. There is a site here that will show about how many calories you can burn over a given amount of time performing certain activities. You just plug in your current weight and a duration.
I've cut the sweets and fattening foods from my diet, and ride my bicycle 6 days a week for 30 to 45 minutes and do some weight lifting 3 or 4 days a week for 15 to 30 minutes. I record everything I eat in a food journal I keep on my computer so I can see what I eat and how much, and I track calories with it as well. I've been at this for one month, and I've lost 15 pounds so far (no idea how many inches - haven't tracked that yet). For the record, I'm 5'10" and 220 pounds.
So you see, it's possible to lose the weight, but it takes work and dedication. And the only way to do it is to just get out there and do it. Don't dwell on the journey, think of the goal. You can do this, and if you need encouragement, you can always find it here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:22 am
I mentioned genetics because it does not matter what I eat, I still stay within the same weight frame. Everyone in my family tended to be skinny, but Bella and Arthur are correct on another level.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:26 am
StarsntheskY, You don't fail intill you give up. Remember that.

Also no matter how far you fall off a diet or exercise program always try to stay as active as possible. You have a long road ahead of you. It will take you a long time to get to know what works for you.

Do not eat to little it will backfire on you and make you gain weight in the long run and break your confidence.

But the most important thing is to decide to love yourself. If you don't love yourself you will find it very hard to find the positive energy to excise.

Try not to eat surger, white bread and potatoes.

And never stop exercising no matter how little. Find sports or anything you like to do.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:28 am
Well done tin!! For some rason Ive noticed guys lose weight more easily than us ladies.
My newly bought trainers are still in the box butthe urge to run is increasing.
You should measure your waist and neck to kepp track.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:30 am
I should have acknowledged you too, Letty (sorry), because you are right. Genetics can play a part in it. Some people are just chronically overweight or obese, and diet and exercise don't seem to help them, while others just burn off everything they eat without having to move a muscle. Good point.
Stars, give the diet and exercise thing plenty of time and patience to work, but be aware of genetic factors that may play a role as well. If you are struggling with the weight loss, see a doctor. They can help guide you in the right direction, be it genetics or lifestyle changes.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:34 am
And thanks, mg. I am proud of what I've done so far, and I look forward to keeping it going and continuing the journey to healthier body and life. I will start measuring this week and seeing what results come up.
It's good that you have the urge to run. When I started exercising, I sure didn't feel like doing it but did it anyway. That's a big step in the right direction there. Good for you.
0 Replies

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:05 pm
Support
Hi StarsntheskY

At your age I don't think you can do it on your own .... You need support and you need to be accountable to someone ..

What I did was I went to a gym and signed a contract stating I would lose this much weight in 6 weeks ... I think the contract did it ... I couldn't back out and take the easy route .... I went to the gym everyday and ate what was specified ... I know in the end I was accountable and there was no way I was going to failure ..... I also had the support of the people at the gym pushing me along ...

I knew if I tried to do it on my own at home ... I would fail as I always would take the easy route ...

I also bought a calorie book so I knew exactly how many calories I was eating a day ... that was a real eye opener ...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:42 am
Contract or no contract with anyone...

When you "cheat" on your diet and exercise plan, the only one you are cheating is yourself.

No one cares if you eat that candy bar. No one will be affected by it EXCEPT YOU.

That's the mentality I am using to stick to my diet.
0 Replies