Not photogenic, or just ugly?

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:39 am
Honestly - there are a couple of things at work here.

Very few faces are symetrical and that is one of the things that make someone photogenic. A lot of individual elements that make someone photogenic are things that would not be considered beautiful in real life - Things like wide set eyes and a sharp jaw can make someone photograph very nice.

I have photographed people who were very plain who just dazzled on film and vice-versa. It is a two dimension v. three dimension perspective.

As to people freaking about thier own pictures - they are seeing their face reversed from what they normally see in a mirror. Since most faces aren't symetrical, the reversal can be jarring in a "that's not me!" sort of way.

If you flip the image the person the photo is of sometimes likes it much better while the people who look at them all the time are all "huh?"
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
Sometimes I have too much time on my hands and Ive done the flippy picture thin.Ive looked at a picture of myself in a mirror, it looks more like me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
Here's a picture of shewolf looking "tuff"

I just have to add the text here from the website I got this from, it's priceless......

Do You understand how perfect this hunt is? First, there are 3 separate photo's all showing different angles of this beauty. Now examine the details: A sweater with a lion and 2 cubs. Next, she is smoking like she means it. Finally, look at the far left pic. See her lower half, she's got the triangle going. Keys dangling, a hole in the jeans and a sexy camel toe to go. It's kind of like the holy trinity for Lezos.

The trophy on the box is pretty sweet. She's a trophy Mullethunt and her home rests on mulletjunky.com forever!

http://www.mulletjunky.com/webimages/dykemullet.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:02 am
Slappy and Chai breeding together....

wow.

that would kinda be like crossing a howler monkey and a hyena, only it would smell as good.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:03 am
Thats a woman!!!!?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
camel toes need trimmin
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
Not only is that a woman, but a woman that other women pray to be like.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:09 am
Are there any pictures of shewolf in the nude floating around the internet?

I would be interested.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:35 am
<raises hand>

I'm not photogenic. As a teen I did runway modelling but I couldn't do any print work because I simply don't look good in two dimensions.

As an adult I have seen an occasional good picture of me (two of them are posted here), but mostly I don't look like me in print. At the A2K greet in Chicago, O'Bill handed me his camera and asked me to take some shots of him and Sublime. Eva and I edited some of his prior shots of us, ensuring they wouldn't end up on the internet (sorry, Bill). The ones he posted are the ones we left behind - not great, but not so bad.

I can't explain it, but I've been a photophobe all my life.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:38 am
I thought you looked pretty damn hot, J_B.

(For a Chicago woman.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
One thing people have to do is take scads of photos. As in, don't take just one shot and live with it, take three or four. This is particularly true for groups. Also, if you want people to not have their eyes closed when taking a picture, tell them you will count to three and tell them to be sure to blink (e. g. eyelids down) for two and then bring them back up for three. Of course, be sure to click on three.

Because of asymmetry, people tend to have a good side and a bad side. Check old photos of yourself and know yours, so you can adjust your pose or the way your head is tilting before the photo is snapped.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:44 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I thought you looked pretty damn hot, J_B.

(For a Chicago woman.)

<smooch> So, when are you coming to Chicago? You owe me a beer.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:53 am
Also, if you have a good photographer some one not usually photogenic can look great. In my wedding pictures (we had a great photographer) I looked great - he also does not touch up the photos. A good photographer knows how to pose you right to look your best. However, in other photos I get mixed results - sometimes I look good - sometimes ewwww!

My older daughter on the other hand almost always looks good. I never knew some one who was so photogenic.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm
Whenever I look in the mirror and have my doubts, I just take a look at this picture, which I commissioned a friend of mine--a professional for Olan Mills--to take.

http://img199.exs.cx/img199/7271/mdbachelor5uw.jpg

Then I breathe a huge sigh of relief. Look, even Frodo (that's my dog's name!) and Lexitar (the dragon behind me) seem to be checking me out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:21 pm
Nice eyeglasses.

I hear those frames from the 70's are gonna come back any time now.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:23 pm
I should have known my photo would make some threadmembers jealous.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:26 pm
Is your twin Garrison Keillor?

If you are, are you as well hung as he is?

don't ask.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:41 am
J_B wrote:
At the A2K greet in Chicago, O'Bill handed me his camera and asked me to take some shots of him and Sublime. Eva and I edited some of his prior shots of us, ensuring they wouldn't end up on the internet (sorry, Bill). The ones he posted are the ones we left behind - not great, but not so bad.
Shocked So it was you who took the photos of my a$$! I knew the truth would come out eventually!

It's true Gus. As hot as she is in photos, she is much hotter in person. Perhaps you should attend the next gathering.

Slappy... you're wrong. Photogenic is a real word for a real reason. While I may very well be just as big of a dork in person as in photos; I once had a secretary that looked simply phenomenal in every one of like 2 dozen Christmas photos. It may be a camera comfort thing, but I swear she looked better in 2-D. I've also plenty of pictures of people who a camera just can't seem to do them justice.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:13 am
I have reached a point in life, where I realize that what I see in my pictures IS me, like it or not. I am pretty bright though..................................and charming!!! Sad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:24 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Confession: when I was a kid I had a tail. Like a mullet cut into a thin little....piece of stupidity.

MG, if you have a hair cut that resembles anything like a mullet, and you're a female, that could explain a lot. I'd invest the $$ into going to a real hair stylist and getting that little problem fixed.

Rat tails rule man!!
0 Replies