• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 06:33 pm
desserts, I stressed

read that backwards.. Smile

otherwise, no immediate objections come to mind regarding your statements in this post.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 10:19 pm
Re: Reading Backwards
coberst wrote:

Our consumer culture through the schooling institutions has molded us into superficial creatures unable to withstand the inducements of our foolish value system.

Man is a social creature craving acceptance by and from peers. We are, I believe, (gradually) being conditioned for a hive mentality like bees and or ants. we are not being conditioned by anyone or anything in particular. i think it may just be evolution in progress.

This may be the only way we can avoid destroying ourselves.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:26 am
Dad...

An important aspect of ideological indoctrination is to make the victim of the propoganda think everything stated is natural and universal. If the victim understands a bit of history that victim is unlikely to swallow that story.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:28 am
coberst, I'm not very bright or much of a deep thinker and I'm not into "idealogical indoctrination". I just said what I think may be the case. Perhaps as usual i did not explain myself fully enough. how you get idealogical indoctrination from my thought is a mystery to me. Talk straight, not bullshit; people might listen to what you have to say.

If you want to talk in riddles go to the riddle forum.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:17 am
Every caveman in the cave wants the better sleeping spot, the hottest mate, the best chunk of meat and a widescreen view of the valley. No one needs to condition him into thinking he wants these things.

Capitalism works because it functions in perfect sync with basic human nature, not because someone somewhere has enigineered it this way for his own enigmatic reasons. That's why capitalism happens even in places where it is forbidden.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
eorl wrote:
Every caveman in the cave wants the better sleeping spot, the hottest mate, the best chunk of meat and a widescreen view of the valley. No one needs to condition him into thinking he wants these things.

Capitalism works because it functions in perfect sync with basic human nature, not because someone somewhere has enigineered it this way for his own enigmatic reasons. That's why capitalism happens even in places where it is forbidden.

Basic human nature is nothing but animal nature. As you said, the caveman wants the better sleeping spot, the hottest mate... When you say it like that it is clearer. How does that separate caveman from any other mammal competing for survival of itself and it's genes?

So I agree with the second part of your post, only I'd phrase it 'capitalism works because it caters to our animal nature'. It appeals to the parts of us that are animal, man and woman. If you ask me there is still a bit to go from there to 'human'.

Also, if intelligence, reason and faith is all bent on feeding this frenzied machine, then it is perverted, and will succumb accordingly.

(Daam that sounded foolish... Twisted Evil )
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:47 pm
What is to say that "reading backwards" is not propoganda meant to sound rational and universal?

Perhaps humans have been always stuck in a cycle of that propoganda. By going back into history we are attempting to reinforce that cycle rather than break out of it.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:43 pm
parados wrote:
What is to say that "reading backwards" is not propoganda meant to sound rational and universal?

Good point. While it is true that a knowledge of history can help someone recognize propaganda, it is important to remember that histories themselves are written from an ideological bent. Having a library card is not a guarantee of objectivity.

coberst wrote:
We must learn to read backwards to remove our self from today's cultural container.

It would be silly to do this only to trap oneself in yesterday's cultural container--unless, of course, you believe yesterday's ideology is more sound than today's. That's what recognizing ideologies ultimately amounts to: not escaping them, but choosing which one you feel works best.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 02:01 pm
shapeless wrote:
It would be silly to do this only to trap oneself in yesterday's cultural container--unless, of course, you believe yesterday's ideology is more sound than today's.

Yesterday's cultural container became today's cultural container.
It happened because everyone was trying to change it.
Our efforts will be tomorrow's cultural container, and so on.

By turning to the past for answers we are bringing the problems that spawned them with us into the future. We're recreating our failures on larger and larger scales. How extreme does it have to become before we get the picture?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:09 pm
Shapless says--"It would be silly to do this only to trap oneself in yesterday's cultural container--unless, of course, you believe yesterday's ideology is more sound than today's. That's what recognizing ideologies ultimately amounts to: not escaping them, but choosing which one you feel works best."

I think that by studying history we gain perspective. History helps us climb out of our present situation and look at that situation from a different perspective. We must have a contrast to comprehend something. We can better understand English language if we learn another language. We need analogies and metaphors to understand new things.
0 Replies