Religion – fact or cultural phenomena?

fresco

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:04 pm
Luke 19 22-27

(Jesus said) But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

(Three-che' :wink: )
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:15 pm
fresco wrote:
Luke 19 22-27

(Jesus said) But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

(Three-che' :wink: )

That is only part of a parable Jesus taught. Here is the rest for the benefit of those who seek to know. :wink:

19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

19:15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.

19:16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.

19:17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.

19:18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.

19:19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.

19:20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:

19:21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.

19:22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:

19:23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?

19:24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds.

19:25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)

19:26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

19:28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.

Why do you strain a gnat?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:59 pm
All this is beside the point.

scott,

how do you know the god you hear isn't a demon.

You responded with quotes from the bible, but the bible isn't the voice god you hear. So you just dodged the question...
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:56 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
All this is beside the point.

scott,

how do you know the god you hear isn't a demon.

You responded with quotes from the bible, but the bible isn't the voice god you hear. So you just dodged the question...

I did not dodge the question at all. I answered it fully, sorry that you don't understand the answer at all. But maybe that is because your eyes are blind to spiritual things. Who knows but you and God.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:09 pm
...blind to spiritual things?

I can see why you think that, since you obviously confuse spirituality with fantasy.

The notion that those who oppose your ideas are blind to spirituality is in your mind.

I find the condescending attitude you reveal towards those who question your statements most revealing..
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:13 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
...blind to spiritual things?

I can see why you think that, since you obviously confuse spirituality with fantasy.

The notion that those who oppose your ideas are blind to spirituality is in your mind.

I find the condescending attitude you reveal towards those who question your statements most revealing..

I am sorry you THINK i am being condescending, or even that I am taking an attitude toward anyone. Both of which is so far from the truth about me it's not even funny.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:48 pm
Bartikus,

Of course the Luke excerpt was part of a parable ! So what ! Christian fundamentalists select what they want from the bible to support their particular world view. Islamic fundamentalists do exactly the same with the Koran...and religious moderates have absolutely no moral authority over their behavioural extremes because they are seen as infidels who depart from the "authority of the word". The only way to attempt to communicate with fundamentalists is on their own terms and when it gets a bit problematic for them they play the "you are Satan" trump card which switches you off (or even terminates you in the case of Islam)and earns them "celestial brownie points."

Cyracuz,

Question dodging by fundamentalists is to be expected in their view of "debate". The "game" of quote trading above demonstrates that the cognitive needs which fuel religious beliefs will elevate cultural artifacts like the bible to "divine status". You have no chance of undoing this conviction by debate when fundamentalists are willing to spend millions of dollars promoting nonsensical details of creationism etc, by establishing alternative museums. Engaging in debate is seen either as testing oneself on the slippery slope of the serpent's tongue, or a passing secular disturbance in the calm sea of eternal certainty. The statement "you don't understand" is to be expanded..." but you will in the fullness of time.....like God I have compassion for your lack of vision".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
yes, fresco, it is sad. Sad that capable people let their minds rot away while sitting there looking at all the "lesser" people who are so "misguided" that they cannot see the "truth" of their ramblings.

I've known several christians in "real life" who were like that. All of them, they had one thing in common; a staggering abillty to pit everyone against themselves with a few utterly brainless remarks.

I think they do it on purpose. It makes them feel like Jesus.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 12:29 pm
The late Joseph Campbell said that "All religions are true in that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery. But if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble."

He meant if you take the metaphor literally, you've got problems.

Of course it's easy to see the metaphors in the myths and symbols of the world's religions past and present. But when we say that my religion is the only one that has to be taken literally, difficulties arise, and the problem is that most everybody thinks that same way.
0 Replies