The Pope in Valencia - Same Sex Marriage Controversy

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:04 pm
of course the bible is silly and ridiculous! leviticus says you can sell your 12 y.o. daughter into slavery. it says that if your neighbor plants more than a single crop in a single field, he should be stoned to death. it says that eating anything of the ocean that doesn't have scales and fins (that means any sort of shellfish) is an abomination!

as i stated earlier, these are obviously ridiculous passages and the christian society has largely decided so and do not follow them.

if the bible is the word of god, why do we get to choose which rules we follow and which we don't? how can we break so many rules with blatant disregard and then condemn an entire class of society because they are going against the bible???

RIDICULOUS.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
El_pohl, there have been lots of studies about the effect of being raised by gay parents on children, and cumulatively there is little cause for concern. I can go find those studies, if you'd like.

Just did a quick Google search, came up with this:

http://www.apa.org/pi/parent.html

Their summary:

Quote:
In summary, there is no evidence to suggest that lesbians and gay men are unfit to be parents or that psychosocial development among children of gay men or lesbians is compromised in any respect relative to that among offspring of heterosexual parents. Not a single study has found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents. Indeed, the evidence to date suggests that home environments provided by gay and lesbian parents are as likely as those provided by heterosexual parents to support and enable children's psychosocial growth.

And that's in an atmosphere where there is still significant homophobia. One would assume that the more families headed by gay/ lesbian couples there are, the more society will adjust, leading to less homophobia, and even happier families than the above baseline.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:13 pm
I agree that the Pope as well as the President shouldn't be allowed to marry men, but then they shouldn't be allowed to marry women either. They might procreate. Oops! Too late.

Otherwise, they should mind their own business; they aren't dictators, are they? Well, the Pope is, and the President wants to be, but that's beside the point. We live in the 21st century now, not the 19th as the President thinks, or the middle ages as the Pope thinks.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:36 pm
sozobe wrote:

And that's in an atmosphere where there is still significant homophobia. One would assume that the more families headed by gay/ lesbian couples there are, the more society will adjust, leading to less homophobia, and even happier families than the above baseline.

Hopefully so! I would believe that in the current context, a certain degree of peer pressure (is that the correct choice of words?) and odd looks by the teachers would be a consequence of a kid raised of "same sex parents". But hell, the world will adjust. I personally think gay people are more responsible and sensible... at least thats the stereotype I have.
0 Replies