Keeping a CD in the drive

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:32 am
Just wondering - does it damage anything to keep a CD permanently in its drive (except when using other CDs or DVDs, of course)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 491 • Replies: 6
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:48 am
Don't think so. Sometimes I leave a cd in for days, whether actually using it's contents for an ongoing project or simply forgetting that it's in there (and ignoring the icon) and nothing goes wrong with either the disc or the drive.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:52 am
No. However, if it is a bootable CD, you might find the results on reboot to be inconvenient.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
Apart from what the Big Bird pointed out, it's no problem at all. I'm a video game fanatic--i commonly leave CD's in the drive. Since i'm lax about putting them back in the case, that probably serves to protect them.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:21 am
The only possible drawbacks I can think of are the one Timber mentioned and that you may notice some sluggishness in your system with a CD in the drive. The OS will occassionaly check the drive and inventory it's contents. When it's doing that you might notice that your mouse or keyboard isn't as responsive as it normally is.

It should never cause any damage though.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:33 am
Keeping a CD in the drive
I just rhought of another objection - forgetting you have a CD in the drive and putting another in on top of it. Makes a horrible noise, and I doubt that it does either CD any good.
(It happened to me once.)
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:13 pm
Ouch !
Yeah, that won't help.
It'll scratch one of the disks possibly beyond recovery.

I leave disks for games I'm playing, such as Dungeon Siege 2, in one of the drives for months and it doesn't do them any harm.
0 Replies