Deb's silly computer questions No. ? : The 56 k modem.

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:34 am
I have a 56 k modem, right?

Right.

So - how come, especially at the beginning of downloads especially - it announces itself as transferring 10 whatevers, usually gradually going down - last download, it began at 10.4 and, after five minutes, ended up at 7.2.

Is my little speed thingy lying to me, or are my hamsters on speed?

It has speeded up since Norton System mechanic optimized it for me, too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,624 • Replies: 32
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:27 am
It's all just a guess. And it keeps guessing as the download progresses.

The actual rate of information passing through varies due to an incredible number of factors... not a constant.

How long does it take to get to Adelaide? Depends on how fast you're driving...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 06:27 am
dlowan- According to what I have been reading, 56K is the theoretical speed. A lot of factors determine the actual speed. When I had dialup, I noticed the same thing. The download would start fairly close to 56k and then deteriorate, as it continued.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:07 am
Damn computers! they LIE!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:10 am
my computer just told me that in 10 years computers will be obsolete.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:12 am
Think of it this way lil bunny.. The speedo in your car prolly goes up to a 140 KP/H or more no?? Does your car always travel that fast?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:38 am
Electrons are notoriously unreliable, Cunning Coney, they get so easily distracted. They start a project with great enthusiasm, then a cute little Proton sashays by, and they kinda get distracted; then some Neutron suddenly brakes for no apparent reason, and traffic starts to back-up . . . you'll just have to get used to these things . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:52 am
You be projecting again, big doggy!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 02:56 pm
Setanta Laughing Laughing Razz Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:07 pm
fishin's analogy is a really good one but I can't resist tweaking it a bit.

Your modem can go up to 56 but your connection speed is determined by both the modem and the network you are connecting to.

But I guess a car can reach it's stated top speed if it's going downhill. :-)

And as to the download speed decreasing sealpoet has it. The stated speed is just a guess and the guesses change. But download connections tend to degrade anyway.

A lot of people say that the guesstimates should be accurate but that would usually slow things down. That is especially true of the estimated time left in software installations. If it were accurate the installation would take longer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:33 pm
Well, I am happy enough with my modem.

As a person who just received two (TWO!) speeding tickets, I am able to testify that my car DOES go that fast!

Your point is taken about the consequences of diverting effort to accuracy in estimating, though, tweaker de kere!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 04:36 am
and as far as what Setenta said... it aint about pushing electrons, it's about pulling holes.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 05:43 am
56k is as finicky as a kite.

A 56k modem "here" requires 56k modem "there", or it downshifts and goes slower.
56k requires nice new clean phone lines the whole way there, or it downshifts.
As it goes through the phone company, if there are digital conversions along the way, it downshifts.
If there are cosmic rays, loose wires, overheating, radio interference, or any number of gloppy electronics, it downshifts.

If you pick up the phone and hear a little static on the line, your 56k will be more like 20k. For a faster connection hang up and keep trying again, until you chance across a nice, clean line!

Also ... 56k is acheived by compressing your data, on the fly. If you are downloading a file that is already compressed (like a .jpg, .mpg, or a .zip file), then 56k will be more like 24k or 9k (I forget which one).
The modem can't compess what's already compressed.

So, nobody ever gets 56k. It's a complete myth, that's acheivable only on the laboratory workbench. Even 35-40k is pretty darn good. And it keeps changing as these conditions change.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 07:54 am
Crikey!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 08:06 am
For the record, anything i write which directly describes technological processes is written without a clue, and is designed to construct an absurdity, rather than enlighten anyone . . .

so there, SP, Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 08:24 am
really? You sound remarkably like Alicia!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 10:14 pm
i used to always zoom along at 33 whatsits
i did a windows 98 2nd edition update the other night - ever since i've been at 45 whatsits
it's quite a pleasant little improvement
(and the other little patches helped things quite nicely)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:55 am
So. Where?

A prof once said to the class 'What is the slowest computer a person will put up with?'

'The fastest computer that person has used.'
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 02:33 am
Re: Deb's silly computer questions No. ? : The 56 k modem.
dlowan wrote:
I have a 56 k modem, right?

Right.

So - how come, especially at the beginning of downloads especially - it announces itself as transferring 10 whatevers, usually gradually going down - last download, it began at 10.4 and, after five minutes, ended up at 7.2.

Is my little speed thingy lying to me, or are my hamsters on speed?

It has speeded up since Norton System mechanic optimized it for me, too.

Example:
Zoom Modem: Maximum Data Speeds: V.92: 56,000bps receive / 48,000bps send
Advertised as 56K

8 bit = 1 byte
1024 byte = 1 kilobyte (KB)

Telecommunications speed are still measured in bits, the standard 56 Kbps analog modem speed is actually 56,000 bits per second. Technically this resolves to 7,000 bytes per second, which is approximately 6.8KB per second. However, full transmission rates are very rare.

This is a good example of misleading advertising. The 6.8 KB per second is what you see when you download something. I'm assuming you expected to 56KB in place of the 6.8KB. Your speeds are good. The modem maker just played a technical trick on you and a lot of others. If you downloaded something and you saw 56KB per sec that would be in DSL territory.

Oh, and why it slows down over time. You start to download data right after you click a link. However, it takes a few seconds for the download window to pop-up and for you to select what to do with the file. That whole time data is being pulled in.

A few seconds later the computer asks "how much data do we have? how long have we been downloading?." The how long question is under-reported. Therefore, making it look like data was being pulled through faster then it actually was.

Hope that makes sense.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 02:38 am
Thankee, JPowell!

And welcome to A2k.
0 Replies