Cyracuz

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:40 pm
only leek?

wouldn't you be tempted to at least graze someone once in a while? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:07 pm
snood wrote:
Yeah, but there's that nasty temptation to try to play God, and create perfect humans. It's the ultimate slippery-slope.

This is a problem only to those that believe your putative deity exists.

There is much good to be had from eugenics. The potential to wipe out inherited disease/mental illness from our genepool entirely, and that's just a start. But oh, wait..the nazis experimented with eugenics, so it is taboo to everyone now for the rest of eternity Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:09 pm
Re: Eugenics and homosexuality
Krekel wrote:
Would you, when given the chance, ensure your child's heterosexuality?

Yes, in a second. I wouldn't wish a life of homosexuality on anyone, much less someone I cared about.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:11 pm
To take it further, I would also see no problem with choosing your unborns hair color, eye color, intelligence, or anything else for that matter, were it possible.
Why not?
If it is fine to abort a fetus, why would customizing it be morally reprehensible?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:14 pm
Doktor S

If this selection you advocate was indeed initiated, and for some reason they chose you.
If you were told to just go curl up and die somewhere, or if you just recieved a letter one day, ordering you to the doctor for sterilization.

Would you go willingly?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:44 pm
Wolverine claws would be cool. I'd tap those suckers on desks and really out-annoy that broad with the fake nails tap-tap-tapping.

The big problem I see with picking out colour palettes and designer kids (can I get him in blonde?) is the limited future-vision of people. The potential to f-up is enormous. We always want to speed stuff along; and sometimes it gets out of hand - suddenly we look around and our gene pool is a bunch of freaks and losers - now what?

Of course that could happen anyways. But, there are always 'loony' elements and individuals that take things too far and in the stupidest directions. There would most certainly be a Horror aspect to co-creating human lives down to the hair colour. 'Cause there already is! lol
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:53 pm
Doktor S wrote:
snood wrote:
Yeah, but there's that nasty temptation to try to play God, and create perfect humans. It's the ultimate slippery-slope.

This is a problem only to those that believe your putative deity exists.

Not really - its only a problem to those who don't understand 'play God' is a euphemism for acting the dang fool with the gene pool. If I have to trust my fellow man to play safe and fair with human genetics, I'd vote nay.

There is much good to be had from eugenics. The potential to wipe out inherited disease/mental illness from our genepool entirely, and that's just a start. But oh, wait..the nazis experimented with eugenics, so it is taboo to everyone now for the rest of eternity Rolling Eyes

Well, its the only example I know of where Eugenics was tried on a large scale. What would keep anyone from trying to correct for, oh say - ethnicity, and not just for disease and defect? What would you use it for, if you had the opportunity?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:15 am
Quote:

What would you use it for, if you had the opportunity?

Regulated breeding, ie people with obvious genetic defects wouldn't be allowed to reproduce. What constitutes a 'defect' would of course be left up to medical experts.
That's about it.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:18 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Doktor S

If this selection you advocate was indeed initiated, and for some reason they chose you.
If you were told to just go curl up and die somewhere, or if you just recieved a letter one day, ordering you to the doctor for sterilization.

Would you go willingly?

Well, all I 'advocate' is regulated breeding based of a criteria of screening genetic defects. If I were screened and found to be a high risk of passing on some inherited disease or condition, then I would certainly agree.
0 Replies

Shinobi

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:16 am
Just a thought,

Eugenics may be the only way to go... Why?
I don't know if you are aware that humans have elliminated natural selection, thus effectievely allowing "bad" genetic material to survive as well as the "good".
Some studies show that the degeneration of genetic material in the gene pool could cause our demise.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:45 am
The obvious problem with letting the "medical experts" decide what are the genetic "defects" is that for every group of "experts" in any field, there is an opposing group or groups of "experts"
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:27 am
The only problem, of course, is that eugenics tends to decrease the gene pool by actively removing anyone with deviant genes. Who knows? Those deviant genes could be useful shoudl the environmental pressures change. Therefore, eugenics is contrary to evolution, because evolution requires a large gene pool to function.

A small gene pool would doom a species evolutionary-wise.

flushd wrote:
If I had my little hands in one of those super research facilities; I would focus on making a child with an impeccable immune system. Fast healing, hard to kill cockroach-like tough.

That would stagnate evolution, however. One of the natural selection pressures would be effectively removed. With no natural selection, how can something evolve?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:20 am
I say let nature be.

Mutations can turn into evolutions.

Don't f*ck with nature.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:26 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
The only problem, of course, is that eugenics tends to decrease the gene pool by actively removing anyone with deviant genes. Who knows? Those deviant genes could be useful shoudl the environmental pressures change. Therefore, eugenics is contrary to evolution, because evolution requires a large gene pool to function.

I don't think that's a good argument. From a "descent with modification" point of view, there is no fundamental difference between natural selection and the artificial selection that eugenics would introduce.

The good argument against eugenics is the political point Snood made. You can't trust any one group with the power to decide which other groups may reproduce.
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:32 am
Doktor S wrote:
Krekel wrote:

Yes, in a second. I wouldn't wish a life of homosexuality on anyone, much less someone I cared about.

Why not?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:50 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Just a thought,

I don't know if you are aware that humans have elliminated natural selection, thus effectievely allowing "bad" genetic material to survive as well as the "good".
Some studies show that the degeneration of genetic material in the gene pool could cause our demise.

Yep. Egalitarian ideal has thwarted evolution.
Now it doesn't matter if you actually have the natual tools to survive, because society will coddle you along.
At the rest of our expense, of course.
0 Replies

Shinobi

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:53 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Just a thought,

Yep. Egalitarian ideal has thwarted evolution.
Now it doesn't matter if you actually have the natual tools to survive, because society will coddle you along.
At the rest of our expense, of course.

So what do you believe is needed:
Natural selection or eugenics?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:56 pm
Krekel wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Krekel wrote:

Why not?

Well, firstly I don't think homosexuality is genetic, so this is all hypothetical, but were it proven to be genetic and could be fixed I would have no qualms about doing so for my child. If it is genetic, then it is a defect..a critical defect that should be righted. Not to mention saving my child a life of scorn, persecution, and hardship.
However as I am fairly convinced homosexuality is arrived at by preference and choice, I really have no problem with it. It isn't genetically programmed what flavor of ice cream you might prefer, either.
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:15 pm
Quote:
However as I am fairly convinced homosexuality is arrived at by preference and choice,
This is a common thought, though proven to be not true. Homosexual women react to female pheromones the way heterosexual males react to female pheromones. For homosexual men, and heterosexual females, goes the same. It's physical, choice has nothing to do with it. If it's genetical or not is to be researched.

Doktor S wrote:
Well, firstly I don't think homosexuality is genetic, so this is all hypothetical, but were it proven to be genetic and could be fixed I would have no qualms about doing so for my child.
Why not?

Quote:
If it is genetic, then it is a defect..a critical defect that should be righted.
What makes it a defect?

Quote:
Not to mention saving my child a life of scorn, persecution, and hardship. I really have no problem with it.
Is this the defect of your child, or a defect of society?

Quote:
It isn't genetically programmed what flavor of ice cream you might prefer, either.
Isn't it?
0 Replies