Need Windows XP Help

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 01:54 pm
I got a message pop up telling me I had to activate Windows. I clicked okay and got a prompt telling me I couldn't do it because local scripting was disabled on my machine BUT OF COURSE the bastards did not mention how to enable it. Now I can't get on at all unless I activate windows but since it won't let me open the system I couldn't enable local scrpting if I !@#$#$%%^& knew how.

Who can help this frustrated Bear?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 725 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:41 pm
it's okay.... calm down.... I figured it out on my own..... no really please... for God's sake you're smothering me.... enough with the concerned advice already.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:50 pm
Jeeze bear, get a clue and stop this needless "it's all about me" crap.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:55 pm
Yeah, Bear, that's what I keep saying to Dys.

Get over it and go find a nine year old to help you.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:27 pm
try the following:

Type REGEDIT in Start, Run. Press Enter

Navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

Double-click the value 1400 and set it's data to 0

If Security_HKLM_Only is enabled, you need to make the modification in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

Double-click the value 1400 and set it's data to 0

Close Registry Editor
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:04 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
it's okay.... calm down.... I figured it out on my own..... no really please... for God's sake you're smothering me.... enough with the concerned advice already.....

Sorry, Bear - didn't see this (and just now saw somebody had sent me a PM about it, too Embarrassed - I gotta pay more attention Rolling Eyes)

Anyhow, glad ya got it sorted out. My first-step-recommendation woulda been Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options>Security tab, "Reset all zones to default level".

What BDV recommends should work; the registry edit he suggests manually sets Local Scripting (which, in "registry-ese", is "1400") to "On" in the "My Computer" zone (which, in "registry-ese", is "\ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0"), but IMO that should be a last-resort thing, if nothing else worked.

Prolly oughtta mention too that some 3rd-Party Security/Privacy software will automatically disable scripting in all zones other than "Trusted" by default - you should check the documentation for any antivirus, antispyware, and firewall you may be using to get the particulars for your setup. Sometimes ya gotta specifically allow permissions for websites you wish to trust. Often, when confronted by symptoms such as those you described, its a good idea to temporarily disable your security/privacy software and see what happens. Its also not a bad idea to put "*.microsoft.com" (without the quotes) in your "Trusted" zone, whether or not you have Windows' "Auto Updates" turned on (and most folks should have "Auto Updates" turned on).
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:07 pm
I find security in most firewalls abit too high, best getting a router with built-in firewall, always tends to be a bit more secure
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Jeeze bear, get a clue and stop this needless "it's all about me" crap.

It's all about someone else? Shocked
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:15 pm
the problem was opening windows. I got in by going through squinneys settings, got a phone number and called some guy in Calcutta (literally) who did some mumbo jumbo with some numbers he had me type in and that ws the end of it. I do have auto updates on. I have no freaking idea what local scripting is or how to find it. I'm not a total computer illiterate but I'm no master that's for damn sure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:42 pm
Ya sure? I'd have given odds he were in Bangalor.
0 Replies