Wisdom is ....

coberst

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:32 am

John Henry Newman wrote that the pursuit of knowledge will "draw the mind off from things which will harm it," and added that it will renovate man's nature by rescuing him "from that fearful subjection to sense which is his ordinary state."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:16 am
Re: Wisdom is ....
coberst wrote:
John Henry Newman wrote that the pursuit of knowledge will "draw the mind off from things which will harm it,"...

Alas, if only the lives of the great philosophers actually bore witness to this statement.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:58 am
What does it mean to see life whole?

I think that there are at least three forms of intellection: textual intellection is what we do when we reason in text form, artistic intellection is reasoning in artistic form, and practical intellection is what we do in our day-to-day living.

I suspect that for me to see life whole I must have some significant degree of comprehension in each of the three forms. Since I have almost zero comprehension in the artistic form of intellection I have little chance of being wise.
0 Replies