Listen folks, here's the rule of Priority...

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 02:53 pm
c_logic wrote:
I have to disagree with you that you have proved my argument wrong - it's far from the truth.
You have proved that I don't have any solid evidence to prove I'm right. After all, you have not presented any evidence yourself for either side, since I have never heard you conclude that either "thanking god is reasonable" or "thanking god is not reasonable".
If you had proved my argument wrong, you would have concluded that "thanking god is reasonable". The burden of proof lies on me in terms of "Here's the Rule of Priority", since I put that statement of mine forward, but you did not actually PROVE me wrong.
It would be beneficial if we can at least agree on this one, as it will create some sort of common ground. Please tell me we agree on something.

We may agree on something but we do not agree on that. I never said that I had proved your argument wrong. I said that I had concluded that you were wrong.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I said that I had concluded that you were wrong.

In other words, it's your personal view and you don't have any proof - the same thing you claim about me. I was wrong in what context?
1. My arguments themselves are wrong/false? (Because there's proof of the opposite.)
2. I was wrong because I thought my evidence is strong enough to prove my point? (Point: It's irrational to thank god. Evidence: God doesn't interfere because ... ... ...)

(Let's get this out of the way first before we continue with our intended conversation. The minimum prerequisite to an intelligent debate is for both of us to agree what outcome constitutes being right or wrong. Otherwise our further discussions will be pointless. I'm sure we can agree on this?)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:10 am
c_logic wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
I said that I had concluded that you were wrong.

In other words, it's your personal view and you don't have any proof - the same thing you claim about me.

I have enough evidence to satisfy me that you are wrong. If you want to call that "proof" then I won't argue with you.

c_logic wrote:
I was wrong in what context?
1. My arguments themselves are wrong/false? (Because there's proof of the opposite.)
2. I was wrong because I thought my evidence is strong enough to prove my point? (Point: It's irrational to thank god. Evidence: God doesn't interfere because ... ... ...)

You're wrong because your premises do not support your conclusion. You conclude that god does not interfere in "small" matters because ... well, because gods just don't do that. And you support the latter point by arguing that gods don't do that because people don't do that, and gods act just like people in these affairs. That, I submit, is completely unsupported by anything except your bare assertion, which is completely unsatisfactory for any kind of reasonable argument.

c_logic wrote:
(Let's get this out of the way first before we continue with our intended conversation. The minimum prerequisite to an intelligent debate is for both of us to agree what outcome constitutes being right or wrong. Otherwise our further discussions will be pointless. I'm sure we can agree on this?)

That's reasonable.

I think, in order to conclude that gods don't interfere in "small" matters, you need to demonstrate that gods logically cannot interfere in "small" matters. That, in turn, would require some deductive demonstration of divine logical necessity.

Absent such a deduction (and I am quite confident that you cannot produce such a deduction), the best you can do is to argue that gods habitually do not interfere in "small" matters; i.e. that they don't do so as a rule. That argument would require an inductive demonstration of what gods normally do, such that we could predict, with a high degree of confidence, that those gods would act in the same way in the future.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:11 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Absent such a deduction (and I am quite confident that you cannot produce such a deduction), the best you can do is to argue that gods habitually do not interfere in "small" matters; i.e. that they don't do so as a rule. That argument would require an inductive demonstration of what gods normally do, such that we could predict, with a high degree of confidence, that those gods would act in the same way in the future.

Sometimes admitting your own flaws is an accomplishment, therefore I will make a sharp left turn.
Given that god's nature/patterns are inconsistent (old testament, new testament, koran), I guess I couldn't even prove god's habits, as I couldn't come up with any clear patterns.

I will dismiss my rule of Priority as a reasonable explanation as to why god "wouldn't" interfere, because I don't have any proof (even though this is how I personally think how god would act). I will not dismiss it as Wrong per se, since it's equally absurd to say that god "could not" have priorities. In other words, saying that god would help an athlete while "passing" when it comes to saving a child, is equally absurd to assume as we don't have the answers.

Having said all of this, I do insist even more so that thanking god is an inapropriate and unreasonable social conduct, based on the evidence people have regarding god and how he acts.
Whenever one thanks god, they are putting forward a subtle statement that says "There is god" and "He chose to help me instead of helping a child who starved to death from hunger".
How do they know that?
Isn't that an extremely unsubstantiated claim based on the evidence?
Isn't that an arrogant statement?

If the answers are yes, isn't it misplaced in our society? I know, who am I to tell people how to act?
But if certain statements contain unsubstantieted claims and arrogance, certainly we can live without those, can't we?
Because those people are the source of the claims, the proof of burden is on them. It's unreasonable to say that one has to prove them wrong first, before coming to the conclusion that they're acting in an unreasonable way.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:46 am
Re: Listen folks, here's the rule of Priority...
c_logic wrote:
I'm absolutely tired of hearing people thank god for things they have accomplished...
It's extremely awkward to see a top notch athlete thank god for winning a game (somebody who many people idolize and look up to)... as if god would be eager to constantly watch over an ego-driven multi-millionaire and make sure he wins some meaningless GAME. Think about it for a second... there are children dying from hunger every day...

God's priority is not to make sure that we are FED but that we are happy.

c_logic wrote:
So, here's the rule of priority, and for the sake of argument, let's assume that god exists in the first place:
If god is really "good and loving", he would make sure that IF he can interfere and HELP in our daily lives, he would help the most needy first. In other words, he would save children that die from hunger first. Then he would possibly prevent people from dying in accidents, ect... Are you with me so far?

So with the TRUE priority of God now revealed your statement here is MUTE.

c_logic wrote:
So, only if there are ABSOLUTELY NO people who die (or physically suffer) in a given day, only then there would be a VERY SMALL chance that god would help a multi-millionaire win a meaningless game... That's my rule of Priority, so whenever you thank god for unimportant and trivial things, you obviously have no clue what you're doing.

And MUTE again here.

c_logic wrote:
On the flip side (in a sarcastic way), if you accomplish something and thank god for it, it actually MUST have been some sort of a miracle from heaven... since an intelligent person would simply attribute it to hard work and persistence.

And MUTE again here too.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:55 am
Scott777ab wrote:

How do you know that?
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:52 pm
c_logic wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:

How do you know that?

Cause that is what the BIBLE says.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:59 pm
Psa 144:15 Happy [is that] people, that is in such a case: [yea], happy [is that] people, whose God [is] the LORD.

Psa 146:5 Happy [is he] that [hath] the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope [is] in the LORD his God:

Pro 3:13 Happy [is] the man [that] findeth wisdom, and the man [that] getteth understanding.

Pro 28:14 Happy [is] the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief.

Jhn 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Jam 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

1Pe 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy [are ye]: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy [are ye]; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

God wants us to be happy, not sad.
He wants us to enjoy life.
Not to SLOG through life unaware of true happiness.

True Happiness can only be found in GOD.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:04 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
c_logic wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:

How do you know that?

Cause that is what the BIBLE says.

Seldom are my predictions vindicated so thoroughly. I wrote:
    For a Christian, then, there is a perfectly reasonable answer to the question "how do you know that?" -- it's because god said so.

Of course, it's the next question that gets Christians into some logical difficulties: how do you know that the bible contains the word of god? It turns out that the answer to that question is also "because god said so."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:06 pm
c_logic wrote:
Whenever one thanks god, they are putting forward a subtle statement that says "There is god" and "He chose to help me instead of helping a child who starved to death from hunger".

Why can't god do both?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:31 pm
Reading and remaining mute. . . :wink:
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:04 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Seldom are my predictions vindicated so thoroughly. I wrote:
    For a Christian, then, there is a perfectly reasonable answer to the question "how do you know that?" -- it's because god said so.

Of course, it's the next question that gets Christians into some logical difficulties: how do you know that the bible contains the word of god? It turns out that the answer to that question is also "because god said so."

Well, this doesn't prove much, quite frankly. It simply explains that (some) Christians refer to Bible as the "word of god". After all, many Christians don't. It's a poor example.
It doesn't make thanking god more credible... especially since many people look at the "word of god" subjectively, and it's questionable whether there is a "word of god" in the first place.

Joefromchicago, it's almost as if you are trying to prove to me that some people trully believe that thanking god is reasonable. That no doubt is the correct assumption, and therefore the reason for this thread.
However, I'm not arguing that... I'm arguing whether people have enough credible evidence to make the statement "Thank you god..." a reasonable part of the public culture. After all, this type of behavior is a BIG part of our culture and the time has come to question the basis for it. In addition, that statement is put forward as a factual/rational one, therefore I would assume the person has some good evidence to support it?
The person doesn't go "I.... guess.... that there is some chance that god might have helped me accomplish this...." They go "Thank you god for all you have given us..."
Therefore, the question is: Is that behavior rational? Is it substantiated? Is there enough evidence to make it a reasonable statement?

joefromchicago wrote:
Why can't god do both?

Please... Confused
Let's get away from what God would/would not do. I have already mentioned that this is a slippery slope for any side trying to argue this and that we don't need to discuss "the rule of priority" anymore.

Instead, let's focus on whether we have anough credible evidence to justify "thanking god" at this day and age, and make people who do it appear that they know what they're talking about.
They state "God helped me accomplish this...". It's a statement of confidence and belief that the statement is rational. I need evidence.
Otherwise I will simply look at the behavior as rediculous and unsubstantiated, and realize that it's not apropriate as part of public culture.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:05 pm
neologist wrote:
Reading and remaining mute. . . :wink:

It's a tough discussion, I can tell you that much Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:24 pm
c_logic wrote:
Well, this doesn't prove much, quite frankly. It simply explains that (some) Christians refer to Bible as the "word of god". After all, many Christians don't. It's a poor example.

"Many" Christians don't view the bible as the "word of god?" Like who?

c_logic wrote:
Joefromchicago, it's almost as if you are trying to prove to me that some people trully believe that thanking god is reasonable. That no doubt is the correct assumption, and therefore the reason for this thread.
However, I'm not arguing that... I'm arguing whether people have enough credible evidence to make the statement "Thank you god..." a reasonable part of the public culture.

No, you're not arguing that at all. You started out arguing that it is unreasonable to assume that god helps people who have only a slight need of assistance. If now you want to argue that it is unreasonable for anyone to expect god's assistance, then that would be an entirely different argument.

c_logic wrote:
After all, this type of behavior is a BIG part of our culture and the time has come to question the basis for it. In addition, that statement is put forward as a factual/rational one, therefore I would assume the person has some good evidence to support it?
The person doesn't go "I.... guess.... that there is some chance that god might have helped me accomplish this...." They go "Thank you god for all you have given us..."
Therefore, the question is: Is that behavior rational? Is it substantiated? Is there enough evidence to make it a reasonable statement?

Again, that's a different argument.

c_logic wrote:
Please... Confused
Let's get away from what God would/would not do. I have already mentioned that this is a slippery slope for any side trying to argue this and that we don't need to discuss "the rule of priority" anymore.

Instead, let's focus on whether we have anough credible evidence to justify "thanking god" at this day and age, and make people who do it appear that they know what they're talking about.
They state "God helped me accomplish this...". It's a statement of confidence and belief that the statement is rational. I need evidence.
Otherwise I will simply look at the behavior as rediculous and unsubstantiated, and realize that it's not apropriate as part of public culture.

If you now want to argue that all expressions of gratitude for god's assistance are unreasonable, then I suppose you will have to convince us that god does not assist people under any circumstance. I await your proof.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 04:24 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
c_logic wrote:

"Many" Christians don't view the bible as the "word of god?" Like who?

I have talked to a lot of different Christians, and I can tell you that there are different "degrees" when it comes to being a Christian. There are very conservative Christians who consider the bible to be the Word of God. There are more moderate Christians who think of the bible as "symbolic", rather than fact / Word of God. There are extremely "loose" Christians as well who are barely religious.
Anyway, I don't think this is very important, so let's focus on the ponts I bring up below - let's discuss those issues.

joefromchicago wrote:
If now you want to argue that it is unreasonable for anyone to expect god's assistance, then that would be an entirely different argument.

Not really. It would still be the same argument, but different evidence.
Although the thread is titled "...rule of priority..", this is simply one of the evidence I tried to present. I understand that I made this confusing, but I'm no best-selling book author, and this is a simple discussion board.
Here's what was really going on:

Main Argument: Thanking god as part of public culture is rediculous and unsubstantiated. It should NOT be part of our public culture.
Evidence: God doesn't interfere in our lives because it defeats the purpose. Interfering leads to contamination of the truth.
Evidence (and this thread's title): If god DID interfere, God would have a better sense of priority, because a human life is seen as the most precious thing. It's supposed to be a gift from god.

I think that this is some DAMN GOOD evidence, however, there is no ACTUAL proof and we don't have to discuss it further.

Now I'm trying to bring in new/fresh evidence.

Let's focus on the following:

joefromchicago wrote:
If you now want to argue that all expressions of gratitude for god's assistance are unreasonable, then I suppose you will have to convince us that god does not assist people under any circumstance. I await your proof.

Technically you should have said "Convince Me", and not "Convince Us". You're giving the impression that you have a big, cheering crowd behind you, and that I'm completely alone and hopeless trying to convey that "thanking god is rediculous" in the public context.

Anyway, why do I need to prove anything? Isn't it obvious that public gratitude towards god is rediculous? From a common sense perspective?

(I already see that you used "protective" wording as to shield yourself and make it more difficult for me. "All" and "Any" make it almost impossible to prove things in ANY debate. However, I'm eager to continue and see where we'll be going... Step on the throttle, partner! Smile )
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:19 am
c_logic wrote:
I have talked to a lot of different Christians, and I can tell you that there are different "degrees" when it comes to being a Christian. There are very conservative Christians who consider the bible to be the Word of God. There are more moderate Christians who think of the bible as "symbolic", rather than fact / Word of God. There are extremely "loose" Christians as well who are barely religious.

Anecdotal evidence.

c_logic wrote:
Anyway, I don't think this is very important, so let's focus on the ponts I bring up below - let's discuss those issues.

If you didn't think it was important, why did you bring it up in the first place?

c_logic wrote:
Not really. It would still be the same argument, but different evidence.
Although the thread is titled "...rule of priority..", this is simply one of the evidence I tried to present. I understand that I made this confusing, but I'm no best-selling book author, and this is a simple discussion board.
Here's what was really going on:

Main Argument: Thanking god as part of public culture is rediculous and unsubstantiated. It should NOT be part of our public culture.
Evidence: God doesn't interfere in our lives because it defeats the purpose. Interfering leads to contamination of the truth.

Explain. What do you mean by "contamination of the truth?"

c_logic wrote:
Evidence (and this thread's title): If god DID interfere, God would have a better sense of priority, because a human life is seen as the most precious thing. It's supposed to be a gift from god.

"Priority" according to whom?

c_logic wrote:
I think that this is some DAMN GOOD evidence, however, there is no ACTUAL proof and we don't have to discuss it further.

We don't get to discuss the premises of your argument? Sez who?

c_logic wrote:
Now I'm trying to bring in new/fresh evidence.

Let's focus on the following:

joefromchicago wrote:

Technically you should have said "Convince Me", and not "Convince Us". You're giving the impression that you have a big, cheering crowd behind you, and that I'm completely alone and hopeless trying to convey that "thanking god is rediculous" in the public context.

I use "us" in the sense of "anyone who you hope to persuade by your argument." Granted, that might just be one person, but I'll assume that you intend your posts to reach a wider audience.

c_logic wrote:
Anyway, why do I need to prove anything? Isn't it obvious that public gratitude towards god is rediculous? From a common sense perspective?

No.

c_logic wrote:
(I already see that you used "protective" wording as to shield yourself and make it more difficult for me. "All" and "Any" make it almost impossible to prove things in ANY debate. However, I'm eager to continue and see where we'll be going... Step on the throttle, partner! Smile )

It's not "protective wording." I use "any" and "all" because any single counter-example would destroy your argument. In other words, I use "any" and "all" because you must use "any" and "all."
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:36 am
Anecdotal? Right... I guess you're saying that observable evidence is anecdotal, but people who thank god have the kind of "solid evidence" that justifies their behavior. That's good to know.

You keep bringing back questions and quoting things that I said we shouldn't discuss (because I have new evidence). You seem to be doing this in order to make a confusing and messy debate and ultimately make me fail to prove my point. I can now clearly see the style of your debate. For example:
'Explain. What do you mean by "contamination of the truth?"'
'"Priority" according to whom?'
Well... I simply gave a summary of what I MEANT to say in my early posts, and I clearly specified that I want to move on to the new and better evidence, because I believe it will actually prove my point. Again, let's not go back to the questions that we discussed earlier - let me prove my point with the new evidence.

Now... please give me a little to answer your last two questions - the main points I want to get to in the first place. I will have answers that can be defined as "proof". In other words, I will prove that thanking god for accomplishments is an irrational behavior which is unjustified and rediculous in the public context.
Is that ok with you?
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:03 am
So, can you give me a "go" to answer your last two questions/comments? I just want to make sure we're on the same page, and that we'll have a "clean" debate.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:20 am
c_logic wrote:
So, can you give me a "go" to answer your last two questions/comments? I just want to make sure we're on the same page, and that we'll have a "clean" debate.

You don't need my go-ahead. Just say what you want to say -- the debate will take care of itself.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:21 am
Ok, as you wish. I'll post something tomorrow night, since i need to do more research and make sure I make a strong point with all the necessary evidence. Again, I'll specifically address the last two things you quoted me on in the post above (Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:19 am).
0 Replies