Microsoft Encarta World English dictionary

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:47 pm
I have lost my CDs for this marvellous work, and I desperately wanted to install it on my new computer, but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. any more. Microsoft Encarta 2006 Premium includes the Encarta encyclopedia, as well as a dictionary, but I can't find out if the dictionary is the World English Dictionary.

Does anyone know if Microsoft's Encarta 2006 includes this particular dictionary?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 13,506 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Charli

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:42 am
Encarta Download with Dictionary
Are these Encarta sites of any help, Tom?

http://encarta.msn.com/

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/dictionaryhome.aspx

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/quick_Dictionary_Download.aspx

Looks like the Encarta dictionary is a free download? Check it out anyway.

Good luck! Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:01 am
As far as I know - and this is what I'm trying to verify - the Encarta World English Dictionary is not the same as the one you suggest. It's a fantastic, five-star, extremely highly praised dictionary, and I'm pretty sure it's whole orders of magnitude better than the one included in Word.

It was sold in print and CD formats in 2001, but has become unavailable in either format. I have no idea why - it was tremendously well-received.
I relied on it heavily.

I have the Encarta Encyclopedia 2006 and am about to put it on my computer, but I very much doubt that the dictionary it contains is the one I'm searching for.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:16 am
Curious . . .
Curious that I am, I Googled the words and came up with . . .

GOOGLE SEARCH

Amazon has the book but not the CD. I looked at only one other site. As you can see, there are many , many others that you might want to try. How about eBay?

Good luck! Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:36 am
Thanks, charli. I knew Amazon had copies available, but I really wanted the CD. However, since I can't have the CD, I've order one of the used copies that Amazon listed.

I just wonder why the CD went out of print - it was so great to be able to hit a few keys, instead of hefting a heavy book ; it's a real doorstop of a monster volume.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:42 am
I tried eBay for the CD; no luck. I got Amazon.uk when I tried Amazon for the CD, and tried to order it there, but got a return message that it couldn't be delivered to my address. I think there's something about CD's made for European use that prevents them being used in the US and vice-versa. I can't account for the address problem otherwise, because I frequently order from England, but I've only ever ordered books, not CDs.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:08 pm
Available with the set of encyclopedias?
I think I saw on one of the sites that the dictionary CD is available with the set of Encarta encyclopedias . . . for purchase, I believe. Ahem! That "do" make it kind of expensive!

I saw the "hard copy" on Amazon. I'm with you: I'd rather a few key strokes. Maybe something will turn up. Meantime, "one in the hand . . . "

Good luck! Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 07:15 am
cs At a Glance
Something DID turn up - my World Dictionary CD!!!

It had been buried under stuff that I had moved while setting up the new PC.

So all is well.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 07:24 pm
YIPPEE!!!
Yippee!!! Congratulations - and happy "looking up stuff"!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Charli
[/color]
0 Replies