THM File?

Pitter

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 05:19 pm
What is a THM file? When I download video clips from my camera to "my pictures" two icons appear for each clip. One is a thumbnail on which I can click and play the clip and the one next to it is an icon and the description below ends in THM. When I click on it I get a message saying windows doesn't know what program produced it but will go to the internet to try to find it. This seems to never work. What's goin on here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 798 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:32 pm
Most commonly, a file with the .thm (or .THM) file extension will be a thumbnail, but that's not a real common file extension. Its used by some camera manufacturors (Canon, Nikon, and Olympus come immediately to mind but I'm sure thats not an exhaustive list). Its also used by Microsoft Office ClipArt Gallery, and by StarOffice/OpenOffice, but I doubt that's what you're running into. Try right-clicking on one, selecting "Open with ... " and selecting any standard graphics viewer, such as IrfanView, Paint or Picture & Fax Viewer, or try making a copy of one of the .THM files, then renaming the copy to (whatever).jpg, try to open it with any graphics app which supports .jpgs, and see what happens.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:38 pm
Ahhh...I think I'm beginning to get it: thm...thumbnail. OK so is that the file that shows the thumbnail in My Documents? And if I delete those from my files does that mean I can't see the thumbnail versions in My Documents anymore?
0 Replies