The way we learn

coberst

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 06:53 am
The way we learn

I am not a teacher but I have studied this matter endlessly for ten years. I have had a good bit of schooling and have many years of active self-actualizing self-learning.

I think it is important to recognize that schooling and self-learning are very different modes of learning. Schooling is primarily a matter of rote learning what a teacher tells us to learn; this mode of learning applies primarily to our early years. After schooling is finished a new and important aspect of learning begins. I suspect few people ever extend this learning process beyond schooling and I think this is a grave mistake for the individual and for the community.

I have discovered when trying to write about self-learning that everybody is a self-learner. Like critical thinking, self-learning is something everyone does. Thus I think I need to identify two types of self-learning.

Self-learning for most people consists of all of the day-to-day things we learn in our daily lives. This is sometimes supplemented with reading a book or the newspaper. I would like to add a second mode of self-learning that I call self-actualization learning.

I would say that the principle objective way of discrimination between the two modes of self-learning is the possession of a library card. As I define it (since this is my OP I get to define what I am talking about), the person who is a self-actualizing self-learner is a person with an oft used library card. I would say that without an oft used library card a person is a mere dilettante of self-learning.

A dilettante of self-learning turns into a self-actualizing learner when s/he obtains one or more library cards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 520 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
coberst, I am not big on long responses, so I only have two things to say.

First, Maslow:

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/hierarchy.gif

Second, I think teachers should, just as Alfred Binet, look at the nature of a student's mistakes, because that is the way to intervene.

I have had a reader's block for some time now, and I think that is a good thing.

There is Piaget, of course, but I won't go into that now.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
Huh?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:03 am
<smile> Which part of my response did you have a problem with, cj?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:47 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:12 am
coberst, I'm afraid that I steer more toward precis than paraphrase. If we cannot reduce philosophy to its simplest terms, then we really can't think critically.

You and I, and I am certain cj, understand Maslow, but the most important aspect of his pyramid is that if one cannot satisfy basic needs, then there will be no self actualization.

cj, you probably were wondering why I think a "reader's block" is a good thing. Well, dear, I lived my entire life in books and actually became each one I read. It's almost like having multiple personalities. Now, I like my own. <smile>I suppose that means I have self actualized.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
What?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
cj wrote:
Quote:
Huh?

and then

Quote:
What?

Try banging him in the head with that pyramid, it might help. Very Happy

As for the pyramid, isn't self actualization the product of all the needs of the lower levels fulfilled?
Is that why the top is elevated?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:41 am
Exactly, Cyracuz. Each level is a foundation for the next.

There is also a theory called, The notion of a social supporter. It has to do with having a confederate in the classroom prompting the students with clues, or actually feeding them answers. One of the best discussions that I have ever had, was using this technique, and each child begins to get into it and feel good about themselves, and, of course, learn.

Hey, cj is a signifier. Razz
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:53 pm
Letty wrote:
Exactly, Cyracuz. Each level is a foundation for the next.

There is also a theory called, The notion of a social supporter. It has to do with having a confederate in the classroom prompting the students with clues, or actually feeding them answers. One of the best discussions that I have ever had, was using this technique, and each child begins to get into it and feel good about themselves, and, of course, learn.

Hey, cj is a signifier. Razz

What a great idea. I need a 'social supporter' on these discussion forums. If you were more interested in paragraphs than short sentences you could be my social supporter.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:03 pm
Paragraphs?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:06 pm
Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:07 pm
Laughing coberst, do you mean paraphrases? cj, go to your room.<smile>
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:13 pm
Letty

Its not important--I was just trying to be funny.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:15 pm
It was funny coberst.

You still got it. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:33 pm
Ok, coberst. I think humor is the best philosophy that I know. Glad this thread got started, buddy.
0 Replies