Does A2K represent the nation? If so, how?

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:50 pm
WOW!!! Looks like Friday was chat night here on a2k and productive chatting at that.

IRL, I am on the shy side. I've twice (possibly more but the last two count) taken the Meyer-Briggs, the first time during a period of extreme stress (around the time it was beginning to dawn on me that I needed a divorce), and the second time during an optimistic time (I was in love and saw the light at the end of a particular tunnel called a graduate degree).

The first time, I scored 50 points into the introvert section; the second time, right on the cusp. The scorer told me that I was probably an introvert. However, like osso, I was with a quiet (well, sometimes) man and I tended to assume the outgoing role when we were public and we took the test together.

I was a bit more open about my RL on abuzz and I tend to be more private here, although I think some of you might laugh at that.

There are actually socio-political tidbits of info that I will not release here because I do not wish the inspire the right.

There are other sort of things that I prevent myself from saying here, just as there are things I prevent myself from saying IRL. Guess what? I am usually sorry for not speaking up. I irritated my former husband -- a supreme extrovert -- because he thought I was "timid."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:51 pm
Thanks, Letty!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:20 pm
Let's ask another question.

How many of you fancy yourself persuasive? Do you ever think you convince others to follow your line of reasoning?

Do you engage in political discussions IRL?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:34 pm
I enjoy eating cows because they are tasty, and lack political affiliation.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:00 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Let's ask another question.

How many of you fancy yourself persuasive? Do you ever think you convince others to follow your line of reasoning?

Do you engage in political discussions IRL?

Yes, IRL I am persuasive and I am mostly convincing too. I also engage
in political discussions, that's something almost all Europeans do when
they get together.

Here on a2k, I state my opinion and try to give honest advice, but I
am not particularly interested in convincing others, given the little
information I have of them.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:04 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I enjoy eating cows because they are tasty, and lack political affiliation.

funny, i think of cows as being libertarians
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:11 pm
On being persuasive, I've little interest in it. I've mild interest in establishing coherence from the word files in my mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:11 pm
Cows plop where others fear to tread...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:21 pm
I try to come onto A2K and discuss various issues calmly, courteously, intelligently, and respectfully...

...every once in a while.

Some people seem to see an abrasive side to me...some rough edges.

Who knows...maybe they are right! Although, I certainly don't see them.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:55 pm
snood wrote:
No offense, but I think that if you really believe that it makes no difference whether or not you're face to face, you might need to consider that a little more carefully.
I know for a fact that Walter is Walter, so I see no reason to believe Francis isn't Francis.

Like Walter, I choose not to be anonymous, but I cannot claim to be exactly the same in person. Depending on the circumstance, my level of testosterone could increase as easily as decrease, so that isn't it either. This is hardly limited to real life Vs. A2K either. I'm the giggling drunk at Brett Favre's Steak House (or A2K meets :wink:) and the thoughtful, reasoning employer at company meetings. Don't we all have a large array of hats for different occasions?

I have a much greater desire to get along with people in real life for both professional and personal reasons for another thing.

Another would be the simple truth that politics, religion, abortion, etc etc etc just don't make for good conversation in the settings I frequently find myself in real life (like my bar). Moreover, it would be a rare day when any bar could match the level of reasoning that is stunningly apparent on A2K once you learn who the read-past posters are (of both camps, though seldom the middle). The rules of engagement here are sufficient to really learn things from your fellow posters without necessarily taking every word with a grain of salt.

Why do I come here? To have sometimes fascinating conversations with fascinating people.

Persuasive? Yep. I've had my mind changed 180 degrees and accomplished the same. I've thanked and been thanked for the effort. This has occurred many times, both on A2K and in real life. I'd guess I am more persuasive in person, but that could be a reflection of the lack of hyper polarity so frequently seen on A2K.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:16 am
Calamity -- I really liked your post and I admire the fact that you take into consideration the lack of knowledge you have about the people here on this forum. Hooray!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:22 am
frank -- I find that you largely succeed in being calm, intelligent and rational. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:25 am
Occam Bill -- Your post was a wow, full of good reasoning and truth. Keep up the good work.

You are right about some of the conversations here not being well taken in bars. I actually haven't been to a bar in years, but, most of the conversations here I would not want to have in the teachers' lounge at work or with fellow employees at the gift shop. Like Calamity Jane, I would have to know people before opening up.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:32 am
plainoldme wrote:
frank -- I find that you largely succeed in being calm, intelligent and rational. Keep up the good work.

Shocked
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:05 pm
that's sarcasm, me thinks...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:14 pm
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:37 am
The next logical question to ask: What brought you to A2K, the need to discuss political issues or just looking for something to pass time or did you come here to have questions answered?

Did you first join this community to discuss politics or did you come here for other reasons and got "sucked into" political shenanigans?

I came with a resolution to never discuss politics here and was drawn in.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 10:24 am
How many suspect that certain posters use a front, a kind of fake personality, perhaps to play devil's advocate, or, perhaps, because they enjoy being insulted?

I suspect that a prominent and prolific poster falls into the latter camp and seeks insults. A masochist, in other words.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 11:11 am
plainoldme wrote:
How many suspect that certain posters use a front, a kind of fake personality, perhaps to play devil's advocate, or, perhaps, because they enjoy being insulted?

I suspect that a prominent and prolific poster falls into the latter camp and seeks insults. A masochist, in other words.

All that sort of behaviour is the nature of the internet in general. It's not just indicative of A2K.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 01:46 pm
Reyn -- Because you say that this sort of behavior -- acting as a front or a devil's advocate -- is general to the internet, then you must be saying it is human nature. This is no different than the anonymous letter or phone call.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:16:11