Does A2K represent the nation? If so, how?

Intrepid

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:37 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:43 pm
ROTFL

The old dude is calling people black pussies!!!!

Laughing

Oh! That was a GOOD one!!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:55 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/Misc/00005.gif

meow
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:58 pm
Oh......darn

I thought it was some more testosterone stuff, and it was just a plain old double entendre.

Still a good one, though.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:34 pm
Which brings us to point 2: misunderstandings.

What one intended while writing a post has never the same
meaning what reader 1 interprets into it. Reader 2 might
get the gist, and reader 3 has no clue altogether.

Dys, for instance, has a great sense of humor, but he never uses emoticons, so new members can be easily thrown off by his remarks.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:40 pm
CJ, I'm afraid you misunderstand Dys. His worst, most outrageous, most obnoxious, most insulting, most disgusting statements are to be taken exactly as expressed. Don't be so kind to him; he doesn't deserve it. And unfortunately for us, he doesn't need it.
It seems, however, that the same may apply to Setanta.
Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 05:59 pm
I've noticed the same phenomenon at work -
Every so often someone will lob a joke, or just a meant-to-be-witty remark, and address it to everyone in the section. Because one can't hear changes in inflection of voice, or see a wry turn to the corner of a mouth, sometimes things can be mightily misunderstood.

Though those things happen fairly often, they get worked out quickly IMO exactly because one can simply walk over to the other person's cubicle and ask them WTF they meant.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how one looks at it)there's not as much of that particular kind of misunderstanding on A2K - experience pretty clearly tells who might be kidding you, and who is trying to draw blood.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:18 pm
This thread is interesting, for one, for how the way people describe themselves as honestly being, here and elsewhere, totally doesnt mesh with the impression they actually make on others. I guess thats human, but it does always kinda startle me - how big the chasm between self-perception and outside impression can be.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:27 pm
nimh, explain that if you will.

I think Setanta may have been referring to JL's avatar.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:32 pm
May have, may not have, and that's just the charm of the man.

But if you would, nimh - couldya clear that last post up a bit for us slowbies?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:36 pm
Letty, there's been a couple of people saying, well, I am the same here as elsewhere, and this is just who I am - <enter description>.

I always find it a little startling to note how markedly people's self-perception can differ from the impression they actually make. (Partly of course because it makes me realise that the same will be true for me, then, too.)

I also think that when Snood points out that by definition/nature, we will be different on an online forum than in real life, he is not so much alone or different in this, but rather just more self-aware about it. (Though granted, of course, that the difference will be larger with some than with others).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:41 pm
nimh wrote:
Letty, there's been a couple of people saying, well, I am the same here as elsewhere, and this is just who I am - <enter>.

I always find it a little startling to note how markedly people's self-perception can differ from the impression they actually make.

It's me (sniff) isn't it....

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:00 pm
It's not all about you, you know.

Laughing

:wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:20 pm
... & A2K is not just about the US of A, ya know!
Some of us even have political views about our bits of the world! :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:22 pm
msolga wrote:
... & A2K is not just about the US of A, ya know!
Some of us even have political views about our bits of the world! :wink:

Amen :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:22 pm
Well, nimh, I can only speak for myself, but I do not like confrontations. They literally make me ill and I am not saying that in jest. I know it has to do with my upbringing, but knowing doesn't always help the situation.

Yitwail and I disagree on several issues, but I admire and respect the man and that lovely lady to whom he is married.

Yes, I do think this forum reflects many things in our day to day life.

It is strange to me, that the students who gave me the hardest time, usually came back later to say: Miss Letty, you were the best teacher I ever had. I smiled and said "Thank you." but I wanted to say other things. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:30 pm
msolga and intrepid. exactly. I created the radio thread for that explicit purpose, because Don1 and nimh said that this forum was mostly American.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:42 pm
Letty wrote:
msolga and intrepid. exactly. I created the radio thread for that explicit purpose, because Don1 and nimh said that this forum was mostly American.

Well, I guess A2K is populated mainly by Americans, Letty. I understand this & why there's so much emphasis on US politics as a result. It's just that sometimes I feel like I'm travelling in the political baggage carriage! :wink:

Good on you Letty!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:53 pm
Thanks, honey.

Goodnight all.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
Letty wrote:
Yes, I do think this forum reflects many things in our day to day life.

I think so too, Miss Letty. I think it gives a good picture of peoples'
personality too.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:19:14