Does A2K represent the nation? If so, how?

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:31 pm
I am the same in real life as I am on A2K. I enjoy good conversation and eye contact, and, of course, good music.

I would get along fine with you, snood, because you seem to possess some of the qualities of my brother. Although I never got to know him, I often sense things. I would get along fine with ehBeth and Setanta as well.

As for the Europeans, language could be a barrier, but often, that is a plus for me. I really don't think people are at each other's throats in real life as they are here. That is why gatherings are good.

I have met several people on this forum, and there was never a problem.

C.J. would be a plus as would Francis, and I would love to meet Mr. and Mrs. Walter. There are others, of course, but, I don't want to go on and on since I prefer compression.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:44 pm
Twice now, the "difference" I've been musing about here has been referred to as a 'problem'. I don't think there'd necessarily be a problem, I just think it's different.

I just said some things to a guy that cut me off on the way home for lunch whom I knew couldn't hear what I said. If we'd been pedestrians, or bicycling - without the soundproofing and insulation of 2 tons of automobile, I probably would have just thought it real loud.

I can't help thinking I'm not the only one who experiences the little uninhibitiveness that comes from anonymity.

For instance, if I was a betting man, I'd bet 99% of the testosterone-rich sounding near-fighting words that get casually tossed around in here just would not happen if they had to be spoken eye to eye. (and I include myself in that description)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:52 pm
No! I had words twice with other posters on A2K and I would have said the same if it was face to face (and maybe it would end in headbutt).

Then, I changed my mind on the first incident but not the second..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:52 pm
Francis wrote:

On the other hand I would be the same, just ask those who met me...

That's what people say ... even some about me as well Embarrassed .

I can confirm it re Francis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:56 pm
snood wrote:
I can't help thinking I'm not the only one who experiences the little uninhibitiveness that comes from anonymity.

For instance, if I was a betting man, I'd bet 99% of the testosterone-rich sounding near-fighting words that get casually tossed around in here just would not happen if they had to be spoken eye to eye. (and I include myself in that description)

Well, one of the reasons, why I don't write anonymous ...

(Not saying that I'm the only one: some are ven writing the same as journalist in newspapers as here ....)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:01 pm
snood wrote:
Quote:
I just said some things to a guy that cut me off on the way home for lunch whom I knew couldn't hear what I said. If we'd been pedestrians, or bicycling - without the soundproofing and insulation of 2 tons of automobile, I probably would have just thought it real loud.

Well, I don't use foul language here at a2k - I am just honest and tell it like it is Laughing Plus I try to ignore people I am not fond of, that helps.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:06 pm
Good thread, POM.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:08 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Well, I don't use foul language here at a2k - I am just honest and tell it like it is Laughing Plus I try to ignore people I am not fond of, that helps.

Like in real life Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:09 pm
But going back to Plainoldme's opening post, I too live in a part of town
that does not represent the average American, in addition to many Europeans that live here. It's always a real eye opener when I travel
around the States.

For me, a2k does give a pretty picture of how people in Kansas, Kenntucky,
Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, New York etc. live and what they believe and think. Their political view is sometimes so far removed from my own, that I don't even want to go down that road, but somehow I believe they do represent mainstream America, especially when I look at the religious threads (mostly southern State fanatics).
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:22 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is....

[edit]

I don't give much thought as to why others choose to post here, I just consider why I do.

I notice you seem to like to lump people together, not seeming to regard humans as indivduals.

[edit]

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other what someones reason for doing something like posting here is.

What Chai said......
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:23 pm
Florida is multi cultural, so I have gotten to know, via chance meetings, several ethnic groups; however, it distresses me that the small town in which I live, has gotten terribly vitriolic, and one would think the opposite.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:33 pm
Honestly?

I don't feel anonymous on A2K one little bit. I mean, I don't go giving out my address or phone # and such, that's just common sense.

As far as personality, this is it.

Now, how a person is perceived can be mistaken, sometimes I'll think a person is heading in one direction, and I'll be really surprised at where they are really going. Maybe if I had seen their faces, the raised eyebrow, the pursed lips, the chuckle or grunt, I would have realized how I was in error.

God's honest truth, in real life, when something like a driver cuts me off and races ahead, if I say anything out loud at all, it's usually something like "Well…….", and then I finish in my mind "I guess it was important to you to be in front of me". Not that I'm a saint, but stuff that happens like that is just stuff….totally meaningless in the big picture.

Here, if someone "cuts me off" I guess I say the same thing….well, if that's so important to you, fine.

If someone gets insulting toward me, my honest first gut reaction is to think they have to be joking. It's only when I realize the other person is taking this whole thing call living seriously and is really mad, I'll make my position clear that I'm not a doormat, and then honestly I'll avoid them.

See, in real life, I think poking fun at seriousness is necessary is maintain some kind of equilibrium. Some people get it, some people don't.

As far as plainoldme's initial….?

Like cj, I think A2k represents the people in the places they live, no doubt.
The worlds a funny place, and if you expect it to be any particular way because it's how you are as an individual, you'll be disappointed.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:37 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
See, in real life, I think poking fun at seriousness is necessary is maintain some kind of equilibrium. Some people get it, some people don't.

This is the most intelligent thing that I've read in this thread by far.

Deep, very deep.

[2 thumbs up]
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
Reyn, stop being background music, and tell us your honest Canadian
opinion, pronto! :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:10 pm
I only have opinions on stories like THIS.

You know, the important stuff on this board.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:14 pm
Reyn wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

This is the most intelligent thing that I've read in this thread by far.

Deep, very deep.

[2 thumbs up]

thanks Reyn...

you know...in the past couple months, I'd had I think 3 people who have been here a long time, but have never crossed paths or had interactions with me, tell me I have the brain of a slug (in so many words)

ok.....so, what's you're point?
I can't help it if the hair is worn off the side of my head from hitting it against the wall.

It's that kind of stuff that makes me think they must be kidding.

God, I mean, why do people take themselves so seriously?
We are all just so ridiculous. We walk around on this ball of dirt thinking we are really in charge of anything. What an illusion. When that volcano in Yellowstone decides to blow, or that mile wide asteriod decides to make a detour into our neighborhood, I'll guess we'll see how in charge we are.

And if that makes me non-representative of the country, that's a real good thing.

Maybe that's why I hang around here...because of people like Ellpus and Reyn and cyphercat, shivers, lash, joenation, farmerman and about a hundred others, who laugh at pretencious crap and realize you can have an important cause in life, but you can do it with flair.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:45 pm
I've always been glad you showed up, Chai. Your sense of humor makes me scream sometimes.

(That's a good thing...)

Ellpus, Gus, and The Dys have made a difference in my day sometimes.

I'm definitely not the same IRL. I think it's the "debate" aspect. I don't debate or challenge people IRL. I used to be more relaxed about sharing my opinion--but I avoid it now. It rarely turns out well. Someone is going to have to acquiese or defer. The other one will likely have to force that by being a bit pushy. I don't like to be either of those people.

When you are in a debate--in a place designed for debate--that's different to me. It's almost a sport. Lately, I'm not too interested in the sport aspect, though.

Just hanging around, waiting for the mid-terms. Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:10 pm
I've taught in two universities, one liberal arts college and one community college and in most cases faculty did not exchange ideas on the informal basis that I enjoy on A2K (and formerly on Abuzz). As such, I have enjoyed more stimulating intellectual exchanges here than I have in my academic life. Granted, there is much stupidity, blind ideological bias and hatred here as elsewhere, but there is much to enjoy that is sane, rational and sophisticated on A2K--not to mention a great deal of clever playfulness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:21 pm
I could agree with all that, if there weren't black pussies posting here . . .
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 04:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
I could agree with all that, if there weren't black pussies posting here . . .

OMG Set, You are stalking snood...

Laughing

I never would have said that in a bar in RL.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:16:49