Religion and Ethics: Which came first?

plainoldme

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:04 pm
joe -- One of the things I dislike about the way teachers are hired in MA is the demand for three letters of recommendation. Why should anyone take the word of a unknown entity? You are trying to reduce philosophical and ethical thinking to a popularity contest.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:38 pm
plainoldme wrote:
joe -- One of the things I dislike about the way teachers are hired in MA is the demand for three letters of recommendation. Why should anyone take the word of a unknown entity? You are trying to reduce philosophical and ethical thinking to a popularity contest.

http://www3.telus.net/public/knsdaly/quizzicaldog.jpg

Hunh?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
I consider that all morality derives from statements of preference, and is customary in origin and usage--i don't accept the concept of moral absolutes, of truths which exist independently of the human constructs by which they are described.

well, certainly there are few moral absolutes in practice. in theory, a moral code could be shared by all the members of an isolated community, and thus be universal within the confines of that community, but contact with other communities with different values would cloud the picture, unless one community can impose its values on the other.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:55 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I should explain--i'm here doing what frustrates me in others, assuming that you can follow my train of thought even though i've not articulated it. I consider the concept of morality to be inseparable from its Latin root. I consider that "universal" contentions about the nature of good and evil, of right and wrong, are for very obvious reasons subjective and arbitrary. I consider that all morality derives from statements of preference, and is customary in origin and usage--i don't accept the concept of moral absolutes, of truths which exist independently of the human constructs by which they are described.

Morality is universal, or at least claims to be universal. As I've set forth elsewhere:
    Morality: concerns universal standards for determining what is right and wrong, good and bad. Ethics: concerns determination of how one should conduct oneself, given the standards imposed by morality (that's why professions have "codes of ethics" rather than "codes of morality"). Thus: "theft is wrong" is a moral principle, "I should not steal this loaf of bread to feed my starving family" is an ethical obligation.

Of course, if one does not believe in moral absolutes, then no morality is universal (except to the extent that it is universally invalid).

Yes, this is precisely where i hit the wall with the concept of morality. I've already mentioned that i stipulate the distinction between morality and ethics which i have explained.

Morality cannot be other than customary, because its precepts can vary from slightly to widely from one group of humans to another. Furthermore, a few examples will show why i don't consider morality to be universal and constant. We would consider a large hunting cat which killed and drug off one of our offspring to be a positive evil; and yet the animal would be motivated by exactly the same consideration--preservation of its offspring. A favorite fantasy of men and women in our age is of an alien visitation. But were a sufficiently advanced civilization to visit out planet, and to decide that we were nothing more than primitively technological vermin, fit to be exterminated where encountered--no appeal to universal moral precepts would save us.

I understand the contention that morality is a universal, absolute truth--i cannot accept the contention as valid.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
Setanta wrote:
Morality cannot be other than customary, because its precepts can vary from slightly to widely from one group of humans to another.

It is undeniably true that the ethical practices of one group may differ significantly from those of another. For instance, one group may view the killing of deformed infants as an ethical duty, whereas another might view that practice as abhorrent. But that difference does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that both practices are right. One (or both), after all, could be morally wrong.

Setanta wrote:
Furthermore, a few examples will show why i don't consider morality to be universal and constant. We would consider a large hunting cat which killed and drug off one of our offspring to be a positive evil; and yet the animal would be motivated by exactly the same consideration--preservation of its offspring.

You're not suggesting that the cat would be acting morally, are you?

Setanta wrote:
A favorite fantasy of men and women in our age is of an alien visitation. But were a sufficiently advanced civilization to visit out planet, and to decide that we were nothing more than primitively technological vermin, fit to be exterminated where encountered--no appeal to universal moral precepts would save us.

No doubt, but then that's not the question. Morality is not concerned with what can happen, but rather with what should happen.

Setanta wrote:
I understand the contention that morality is a universal, absolute truth--i cannot accept the contention as valid.

A view held by many. Nevertheless, many who hold this view also maintain that they know that some actions are right and some are wrong. What about you?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:51 am
joe -- Have you ever considered that people often hold opinions (thatare definitions) but never put those opinions into words?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:40 pm
Rushdie clearly has an axe to grind over treatment by bigots and we should interpret his views in that light.

Like Dr. S. I really see little point in trying to disentangle the three terms ethics, morality and religion. They all function as social and personal control mechanisms and appear to be epiphenomena of "self-consciousness" that human trait involved in observing and predicting the consequences of actions. It may simply be the case that certain behaviours like altruism which we might term "ethical" or "moral, have evolutionary survival value at some biological level but we feel better talking about them as unique to our species. As an atheist I have often remarked that other species seem to get along quite well without any of these concepts and "naturally" tend to delimit their behaviours well before the threat of any "abyss" manufactured by man.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:10 pm
plainoldme wrote:
joe -- Have you ever considered that people often hold opinions (thatare definitions) but never put those opinions into words?

Not lately.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:23 pm
The way I distinguish morality and ethics is the basis for each; ethics are based on learneing by through education and experience, not, as with morals, by the possibilility of eternal damnation.

If an unmarried girl has sex with a man, unmarried or not, she is considered immoral. I have never heard the word unethical used in those circumstances.

Ethics seem to be unchanging--do the right thing, the Golden Rule, etc. Morals change to fit society's or the church's needs. Both the church and society seem to determine morality, with the church telling us that we will be punished if we don't follow the current morality.

Ethics have no inherent threat of punishment except if a law is broken, then it is the law, not god, that provides the punishment.

Morals are arbitrary--ethics are learned as we mature and develop our own standards. This is my simple or simple-minded, idea of the difference between ethics and morality.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:56 pm
Diane -- Thoughtful post.

All -- When I heard Rushdie, I thought he was quite in opposition to many posters here.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:02 pm
Essex is a state of mind, and a county.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:12 pm
This month's VIZ has a definition of Ethics Girl which is fairly amusing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:59 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
It is undeniably true that the ethical practices of one group may differ significantly from those of another. For instance, one group may view the killing of deformed infants as an ethical duty, whereas another might view that practice as abhorrent. But that difference does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that both practices are right. One (or both), after all, could be morally wrong.

You are using ethics and morality interchangably, which comes into this discussion in the nature of a tacit assertion that this is the case. However, i have pointed out that i, and many others, do not consider this so, and see an important distinction. I have stipulated the distinction, and you are ignoring that. I consider that you don't wish to discuss that which is the more interesting and important part of the discussion from my point of view. I accept that, but am likely to become more quickly bored with this discussion.

If you are going to assert that anyone can be morally wrong, than you'll either have to assert a principle or set of principles upon which this can be determined, or acknowledge that you cannot provide the principle or set of principles, and are only willing to stipulate a possibility that there can be a universal, absolute morality, without being able to demonstrate as much, or even provide some direction of a road to travel to find said absolute morality.

Setanta wrote:
You're not suggesting that the cat would be acting morally, are you?

Certainly--no less and no more morally than he or she who would kill the cat to preserve their own offspring, as the cat will kill that offspring to preserve her offspring. That's exactly the point--that human or hunting cat, each sees as good that which furthers their goals, and as evil that which impairs the pursuit of said goals.

Setanta wrote:
No doubt, but then that's not the question. Morality is not concerned with what can happen, but rather with what should happen.

This is one of the weakest statments i've ever read from you here. Morality is no more poignantly evident than when it is being preached, on the basis of what has happened, or what may happen, and why that is to be held to be good or bad. This is merely a statement from authority on your part on the nature of morality--an authority which i haven't any reason to assume you possess.

Setanta wrote:
A view held by many. Nevertheless, many who hold this view also maintain that they know that some actions are right and some are wrong. What about you?

I only assert a preference--and am prepared to back up the preference with a justification. In the example of the hunting cat, i assert a preference for human survival over hunting cat survival, in any example in which the choice is unavoidable. I cannot and do not accept statements about what is "right" and what is "wrong" without a justification, and reject the contention if i find the justification implausible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:05 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Essex was also a very bad man in the time of the first Queen Bess, and an American frigate which destroyed the English whaling industry.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Essex was also a very bad man in the time of the first Queen Bess, and an American frigate which destroyed the English whaling industry.
You mean Good queen 'Bess gawd bless 'er? But I never knew there was an English whaling industry... what did they do? Anyroadup what are you guys doing naming one of your boats after one of OUR counties?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:25 pm
'Twas a county in more than one U.S. state by 1812. U.S.S. Essex sailed from Boston in 1812, and began "hunting" in the English whaling grounds in the southeast Pacific. She was so successful that it quite ended the English whaling industry, which is why you never knew there was one. There were Englishmen who went down to the sea in ships to hunt the mighty sperm whale after 1813, but they could no longer compete with the Yankee whalers, and as in so many areas, it was just cheaper to buy the whale oil from the Yankees, and use it in the value-added process.

Essex was named for Essex County, Massachusetts, and was subscribed in part by the residents of Essex County and Salem, Massachusetts. When she sailed for the Pacific whaling grounds, Captain Porter commanding, one of the ship's boys was David Farragut, who would become famous in the American civil war more than fifty years later, and whose memoirs provide quite a detailed glimpse of ship-board life in the United States Navy in 1812 and 1813. Essex had shipped carronades, which are large, powerful guns, but have a very short range. Porter complained about it regularly, but was still mounting carronades when chased into the harbor at Valparaiso (Chile) by HMS Phoebe and Cherub. Normally, in that war, the English suffered because the Americans used 24 lb. long guns which outranged the standard 16 lb. long guns used by the Royal Navy. In this case, however, Phoebe and Cherub were able to stand off out of range of the guns of Essex and punish her until so much of the crew had been killed and wounded that Porter felt obliged to strike.

Patrick O'Brian used the chase of Essex by Phoebe as the basis for his novel The Far Side of the World--radically changing the historical reality to make his story, which is quite good. The story was radically altered again in the making of the motion picture Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, with Essex becoming a French privateer frigate, Acheron. However, in the motion picture, the frigate is put back into the whaling grounds off the west coast of South America.

Essex and Phoebe are far more intersting than ethics and morality, n'est-ce pas?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:39 pm
absolument mon ami. Eh maintenant je suis tres fatigue et je suis jumpez dans le sac.

Good post thanks, Will try not to think of whaling.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:41 pm
Steve-

Have you ever had a grip on an Ethix goil?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:42 pm
They scare the living daylights out of us country bumpkins.

I just wondered what it was like at the cutting edge.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:28 am
spendius wrote:
Steve-

Have you ever had a grip on an Ethix goil?
Not to my knowledge...though...well never mind. But catching them is easy, the short skirts and stilettos inhibit flight. And they are usually distracted by being on the phone. And wining and dining is dead easy...What's the Essex Girl's favourite wine? "I wanna go to Lakeside".. Laughing
0 Replies