Religion and Ethics: Which came first?

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 10:42 am
Salmon Rushdie appeared on the newest Bill Moyers' television program just last week and had many interesting and provocative things to say.

Chief among them was Rushdie's own theory that man looked about and saw that he needed an ethical system in order to deal with the world and so invented religion.

This turns traditional assumptions (note: I did not use the word "thinking") on their sides.

I think Rushdie is on to something.

I have always felt that the right-wing/evangelical argument, "How can man do what is right without religion," was weak: a cop out.

I have stressed that if we do something because our forebears told us to do, without examing said instructions in light of reason and experience, we are not really doing what is right.

I have always supported ethics over morals.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,425 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:01 am
I agree.

One would only have to find one person who had no religion or faith that does right to disprove that argument. No?

I have no religion, but I do have a personal faith.

However, I don't behave ethically because of the threat of damnation or the reward of paradise.

I mostly try to "do the right thing" because, well, it's just the thing to do when you know we're all in this together.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
When you think of it, the Golden Rule has no overtly religious connections.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 02:26 pm
The question posited by the thread title seems to me overtly naive. Does anyone with a rational mind really believe religion and ethics are mutually exclusive, or further, even related whatsoever?
I find that particular theistic apologetic tactic (you can't be ethical without religion) to be both intellectually insulting and ironically comical given the historical track record of believers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 03:18 pm
Doktor S wrote:
The question posited by the thread title seems to me overtly naive. Does anyone with a rational mind really believe religion and ethics are mutually exclusive, or further, even related whatsoever?
I find that particular theistic apologetic tactic (you can't be ethical without religion) to be both intellectually insulting and ironically comical given the historical track record of believers.

yea, that's why I posed that question in my post.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 03:28 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

yea, that's why I posed that question in my post.

Yes you did. I didn't overlook it my dear tall drink of tea. I just agree.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 08:18 am
Re: Religion and Ethics: Which came first?
plainoldme wrote:

I don't understand. What do you consider to be the distinction between "morals" and "ethics?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 08:36 am
Ethics derives from the Greek ethos (to use Roman characters), which refers to character. Morals derives from the Latin word mores, which means "customs." Personally, i see the former referring to the code of behavior of the individual and the latter to the code of socially acceptable behavior. But the introduction of religion muddies the waters, as the "morality" of a religious creed entails an assertion of absolute values of right and wrong, of good and bad, as divinely revealed, usually in scripture, or the scriptural report of the teaching of a prophet.

In most casual discussions, there probably is not a meaningful distinction to be made between ethics and morality. However, when religion is introduced into the discussion, then, regardless of how one uses the terms, there will be, on one hand at least, an assertion of absolute values of right and wrong, of good and evil. I personally use the term ethics to distinguish those abitrary concepts of right and wrong which i have personally adopted, as opposed to anyone's assertion of absolutes of right and wrong. I am happy to so stipulate whenever a discussion of these concepts arises.

Functionally, within the language, ethics and morality are used interchangeably. When religion is introduced into a discussion, then the discussion is irretrievably altered by the introduction of a concept of the absolute, which concept does not necessarily ordinarily adhere to either word.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
Our oldest religions did not concern themselves with ethics, therefore the question seems easy enough to answer. Rushdie should know this.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
Quote:
Salmon Rushdie appeared on the newest Bill Moyers' television program just last week and had many interesting and provocative things to say.

Chief among them was Rushdie's own theory that man looked about and saw that he needed an ethical system in order to deal with the world and so invented religion.

This turns traditional assumptions (note: I did not use the word "thinking") on their sides.

I think Rushdie is on to something.

I have always felt that the right-wing/evangelical argument, "How can man do what is right without religion," was weak: a cop out.

I have stressed that if we do something because our forebears told us to do, without examing said instructions in light of reason and experience, we are not really doing what is right.

What do you think?

I don't believe that ethics come purely out of religion or the idea of right and wrong, good and evil, as defined by religion. If you think about it there are many things in life that define right and wrong to a certain extent. What about our government? In the state of FL the speed limit on the highway is 70 mph. Anything over 70 they can give you a ticket. In CT the speed limit on the highway is 65 mph. In WY and NB the speed limit is 75 mph. Four different states, three different speed limits. Why? The governing authorities in those states decided that was the safest speed to travel on their highways. So, if you break that law you are subject to the consequences of doing such a thing. How? A speeding ticket. That has nothing to do with religion at all, however good ethics would tell a person they ought to obey the law as set by the governing authorities in the state they are in. Many don't. No religious condemnation there that I can see.

However morals (as defined by religion) tell a much different story. The "moral" perspective on the same subject would be, "You shouldn't speed because.. #1 God commands us to obey the law of the land. #2 You are to set a good example for those who look up to you. (Whether that be your kids, siblings, co-workers, whatever) #3 To break the law is disobedience to God's word which leads to the condemnation talked of earlier. Just a few examples. Morals boil down to a couple of different things. Modes of conduct, which are set by many other things besides just religion, or a lesson that can be drawn from a story, like the bible. Say, examples of what good conduct is. So basically to me the law lays out modes of conduct such as: Don't speed, Don't rob a bank, don't shoot someone don't drink or use drugs on the job. While "religion", though it says the same things, sets out the good and evil side of it and gives a much higher consequence for such actions.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 04:28 pm
As someone who has been regularly and roundly attacked for saying on this forum that I hold ethics superior to morals, I must say that there is in setanta's definitions a good deal of what there is in my idealect.

Doktor -- I think your comment about theistic whatever is a tad misplaced. Many, if not most, people rail that we need religion to keep people moral. What Rushdie is saying is something opposite to the pro-religion-as-a-source of behavior camp. Haven't much time. Hope this thread will not be locked tomorrow as it was today.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 05:34 pm
Doktor S wrote:

After trying to open this thread all day, I finally succeed.

First, are you suggesting that Rushdie is naive or that he has taken a "theistic apologetic tactic" what ever that means?

Second, many, if not most people conflate religion and ethics and say without religion,ethics is impossible. Actually, they say morality is impossible.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 05:38 pm
joe -- I have stated many times -- and have been attacked many times -- that I feel morality is an inherited and unexamined set of beliefs, and my definition lines up with the one setanta supplied. On the other hand, I feel ethics is a tested and explored set of behavioural standards. Wow! has that definition brought hatchets down on my head.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 05:41 pm
mark
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 02:05 pm
plainoldme wrote:
joe -- I have stated many times -- and have been attacked many times -- that I feel morality is an inherited and unexamined set of beliefs, and my definition lines up with the one setanta supplied. On the other hand, I feel ethics is a tested and explored set of behavioural standards. Wow! has that definition brought hatchets down on my head.

I can understand why. No one, and I mean NO ONE, shares your definitions of "morality" and "ethics." Your idiosyncratic usage, therefore, is an impediment rather than an aid to understanding -- not something that we typically want from our definitions.

At best, your "morality" is the equivalent of "custom." But we don't need a different term for "custom," since "custom" works just fine. And even if "morality" is derived from the Latin term for "custom" (as Setanta points out), that is no reason to reject established usage and rely on the Latin root to provide the definition of "morality."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 05:37 pm
I provided the derivations of the words ethics and morals precisely because i have frequently met people who make a distinction between them based upon an idiosyncratic belief set in the case of the former, and an alleged set of universal definitions of good and evil in the case of the latter. Whereas i understand that such a point of view is not necessarily inherent in the mere definitions of these terms, nevertheless, i consider it a reasonable point of departure in discussing the concepts, if one stipulates to this in advance.

Because ethic comes from a root meaning character, it does no violence to the sense of the word to see is as a personal standard, while seeing morals, mores, or customs, as a more broadly defined standard.

I consider the titular question unanswerable. However, when one introduces religion into any discussion of codes of conduct, or constructs of right and wrong, there is an inevitable discarding of the acknowledgement of arbitrary standard at the point at which universal statements of good and evil are introduced. Religious orthodoxy knows no contradiction--if scripture reveals truth to us because it is "god's" word, revealed in that divinely inspired scripture, then definitions of good and evil cease to be arbitrary and subjective, and are asserted to be objective, universal and eternal truths.

As one might imagine, i have a problem with that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 05:49 pm
I should explain--i'm here doing what frustrates me in others, assuming that you can follow my train of thought even though i've not articulated it. I consider the concept of morality to be inseparable from its Latin root. I consider that "universal" contentions about the nature of good and evil, of right and wrong, are for very obvious reasons subjective and arbitrary. I consider that all morality derives from statements of preference, and is customary in origin and usage--i don't accept the concept of moral absolutes, of truths which exist independently of the human constructs by which they are described.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 07:51 am
Setanta wrote:
I should explain--i'm here doing what frustrates me in others, assuming that you can follow my train of thought even though i've not articulated it. I consider the concept of morality to be inseparable from its Latin root. I consider that "universal" contentions about the nature of good and evil, of right and wrong, are for very obvious reasons subjective and arbitrary. I consider that all morality derives from statements of preference, and is customary in origin and usage--i don't accept the concept of moral absolutes, of truths which exist independently of the human constructs by which they are described.

Morality is universal, or at least claims to be universal. As I've set forth elsewhere:
    Morality: concerns universal standards for determining what is right and wrong, good and bad. Ethics: concerns determination of how one should conduct oneself, given the standards imposed by morality (that's why professions have "codes of ethics" rather than "codes of morality"). Thus: "theft is wrong" is a moral principle, "I should not steal this loaf of bread to feed my starving family" is an ethical obligation.

Of course, if one does not believe in moral absolutes, then no morality is universal (except to the extent that it is universally invalid).
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:17 am
joefromchicago wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

I can understand why. No one, and I mean NO ONE, shares your definitions of "morality" and "ethics." Your idiosyncratic usage, therefore, is an impediment rather than an aid to understanding -- not something that we typically want from our definitions.

At best, your "morality" is the equivalent of "custom." But we don't need a different term for "custom," since "custom" works just fine. And even if "morality" is derived from the Latin term for "custom" (as Setanta points out), that is no reason to reject established usage and rely on the Latin root to provide the definition of "morality."

I think you have made an unwarranted assumption. You can not say with certainty -- in fact, you can not say at all -- that no one else shares my definitions.

On the other hand, as I have found myself arguing time and time again recently on this forum, the purpose of education and experience is to become an adult and the defining trait of adulthood is to think for oneself, to have intellectual, spiritual and other forms of independence.

For you to say that my ability to define terms for myself is an impediment to my understanding supposes you know what my understanding is and that you have the universal key to all understanding. Rather egotistic, n'est-ce pas?

As for my morality -- AND IT IS NOT MINE!!!! -- having derived from custom, well, consider that I derived it from the people who insist on moral actions and codes and family values. Furthermore, remember that American law is based on English common law, which is based on the customs of the country.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
plainoldme wrote:
I think you have made an unwarranted assumption. You can not say with certainty -- in fact, you can not say at all -- that no one else shares my definitions.

Identify someone else who shares those definitions and I might be willing to alter my previous statement.

plainoldme wrote:
On the other hand, as I have found myself arguing time and time again recently on this forum, the purpose of education and experience is to become an adult and the defining trait of adulthood is to think for oneself, to have intellectual, spiritual and other forms of independence.

For you to say that my ability to define terms for myself is an impediment to my understanding supposes you know what my understanding is and that you have the universal key to all understanding. Rather egotistic, n'est-ce pas?

I didn't mean to say that your idiosyncratic definitions were an impediment to your understanding (although, for all I know, they might be); rather, I meant that your idiosyncratic definitions were an impediment to everyone else's understanding. Definitions allow for understanding among different people. A definition, therefore, is only as good as it is widely shared. On the other hand, a definition that is unique to a single individual is not a definition at all -- it is simply Humpty-Dumptyism.

plainoldme wrote:
As for my morality -- AND IT IS NOT MINE!!!! -- having derived from custom, well, consider that I derived it from the people who insist on moral actions and codes and family values. Furthermore, remember that American law is based on English common law, which is based on the customs of the country.

I know absolutely nothing of your morality or its foundations, and so I never commented on it. Your defense of your morality, therefore, is at worst unwarranted, at best premature.
0 Replies