ETIQUETTES

vinsan

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 06:59 am
Hi Guys,

In West when a lady enters/ leaves the door, the man should hold the door open to let her pass first.

Whereas in Asia (India and china) you will find the opposite. The man has to pass the door first in order to verify the safety of the passage for the following lady to proceed.

With this, how perceptive do you find the term "Etiquettes"?

Do we actually need this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 639 • Replies: 4
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:06 am
your example shows that etiquette varies across cultures, but it's still valid within a culture.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:23 am
Re: ETIQUETTES
vinsan wrote:

Whereas in Asia (India and china) you will find the opposite. The man has to pass the door first in order to verify the safety of the passage for the following lady to proceed.

Really, Vinsan? In my office, the guys either open the door for us or they just walk through without bothering about chivalry or etiquette
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:35 am
In Iraq, before the war, women had to walk five feet behind the men.

Now since the war, women walk five feet in front of the men.

(clue: landmines)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 07:52 am
I think etiquette is still important even though it can vary among cultures. The basic premise is to be respectful of each other. I would also imagine that some etiquette is also to prevent harming one another - for example I cannot imagine that in any cultural allowing a door to slam in some one else's face (no matter whether a woman or man) is considered proper etiquette.

I also believe many types of etiquette are similar across cultures - if not exact - most cultures have a way of thanking a person and asking please. Most have a way of greeting each other - some may shake hands, some hug or kiss and some bow.

Wouldn't you think if we did away with etiquette things would be much more unpleasant? As it is many individuals seem to have done away with it and isn't it difficult to deal with these types of people? Don't you go away feeling better when some one says thank you or I appreciate it or holds the door for you? To me etiquette is simply a way of expressing your respect for another person.
0 Replies