Guns: do you believe that they will be outlawed?

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:08 am
alright.....here's the starting question.

Deliberations have begun about banning firearms. Do you believe that it will ever occur? Why or why not?

Please give me some good feedback on this, my fiance and I just discussed it for the past 2 hrs. and it is now 3am. I would like to hear debate from both sides with pragmatic justification.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,129 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:00 am
In America? No.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
I do not see it as an impossibility that firearms might be banned. Here in Norway they already are, in a sense.

You can own a gun, but there are strict rules on how it should be stored, and there is a database where all who own guns are listed. If you're not an active member of a club, and practice regularly at a fireingrange, the police will send you a letter asking you to deliver your gun for safe keeping. If you don't respond they will come and pick it up.
The idea is that if you're not using it, then don't have it lying around. It makes good sense to me, because the result is that far fewer people are shot in crimes of passion.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:44 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I do not see it as an impossibility that firearms might be banned. Here in Norway they already are, in a sense.

You can own a gun, but there are strict rules on how it should be stored, and there is a database where all who own guns are listed. If you're not an active member of a club, and practice regularly at a fireingrange, the police will send you a letter asking you to deliver your gun for safe keeping. If you don't respond they will come and pick it up.
The idea is that if you're not using it, then don't have it lying around. It makes good sense to me, because the result is that far fewer people are shot in crimes of passion.

Similar in Australia, but not quite as strict.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:51 am
For the more rabid nuts of the US guns = civil rights and guns = freedom. They'll get hold of this discussion soon enough.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:24 am
Chris Rock suggested that guns remain available but bullets should cost 5000.00 apiece. No more drivebys, no more random killings...sounds outrageous but I thought he was onto something.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:23 am
Another outrageous idea might be to arm everyone.

Who'd run into a bank with a loaded shotgun if he knew that everyone inside was also packin'... Smile

But seriously, the people who equate freedom and the right to bear arms are the ones who let fear rule their lives. Fear is like a cancer in their system, and rather than fight it they would infect all the rest of us. Personally I find it disgusting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:33 am
Only after they pry the cold dead fingers of millions off of them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:29 am
Sure. All that's needed is for enough people to believe in their goverments' ability and willingness to take care of them.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 11:05 am
Booze will be banned before guns are! Never.
:wink:
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:15 pm
I believe everyone has a point, but roger has hit an American nerve. What if the American people only see safety in disarming citizens? Would they not be more prone to allowing such a law to pass? The average American citizen just wants to continue to live their happy little life and not think about violence.

I am not saying that such a ban would decrease crime. Most likely it would increase. Norways approach is interesting though.......
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:27 pm
If you banned guns then only criminals and the government would have guns.

How can we fully trust either?
Power is the real issue.

If you don't have access to a gun in a gunfight then you might as well be a sheep cause you are that helpless.

I do think all guns should be registered and tracked though.

and I do think that to carry a gun someone should have to have a permit.

That way I can still carry one to defend myself if something happens while the criminal whose gun isn't registered can be arrested if the gun on him is found.

in a good percentage of robberies involving guns, the victim is not only robbed, but shot. Not in the majority, but in enough cases to warrant someone defending themselves.

sure we want to work towards a more violent civilization, but until we get there (and we prob. never will to my satisfaction) then guns should not be banned.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:28 pm
xguymontagx wrote:
Quote:

Hehe... yes, because you'd be a criminal by virtue of owning a gun.

Criminals don't get guns until they need them, because to bring a gun to a crime expands the penalty for it, and also the risks.
And when they need them they will get them, ban or no.

Quote:
If you don't have access to a gun in a gunfight then you might as well be a sheep cause you are that helpless.

Well, if you knew there was going to be a gunfight you'd probably bring one.
If you didn't know, then you're likely there by accident, and so not a target. To start waving a gun then would only increas the danger to yourself, as you would give someone a reason to shoot at you. This is logical, because when you're under fire, you don't waste time or bullets on non volatile targets.
So, in the case of suddenly being caught in the crossfire, you'd be better off unarmed.

Quote:
sure we want to work towards a more violent civilization, but until we get there (and we prob. never will to my satisfaction) then guns should not be banned.

I am hoping you meant "less violent civilization".. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:51 pm
If I knew I were going to a gunfight, I would go somewhere else.

Doesn't registration make the assumption of completely trusting your government? Were that valid, it seems you could also trust it with your defense - unless you knew you were going to a gunfight, and went anyway.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
Good point roger, but I think it's more about trusting the next man than trusting your government.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:07 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
xguymontagx wrote:
Quote:

Hehe... yes, because you'd be a criminal by virtue of owning a gun.

nice play on termonology

isn't the UN planning on meeting to discuss gun bans? If passed, do you think events will occur parallel to prohibition?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:21 pm
I cannot say that I know too much of the UN's workings, but if it comes to surrendering their weapons, I can imagine that there'd be one or two fanatics that would have a real problem with it.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:23 pm
there are five nations that have the all powerful veto...
the United States is one.

If we don't like it it won't happen...ad I don't see the U.S. voting for it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:29 pm
The highest law in the United States is the Constitution. The second highest law(s) are treaties. No United Nations treaty can supersede the Constitutution.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:29 pm
Quote:
there are five nations that have the all powerful veto...

Isn't that NATO?

Don't think the US is part of the UN
0 Replies