Art or eyesore? Public asked if Banksy's mural should stay

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:09 pm
Quote:
Art or eyesore? Public asked if Banksy's mural should stay

By Arifa Akbar
Published: 23 June 2006
The large graffiti image, depicting a woman in underwear, her jealous husband, and her naked lover dangling from a window ledge, would usually have been scrubbed off by council workers at the earliest opportunity.

This week in Bristol, however, the man responsible is Britain's most celebrated graffiti artist, Banksy, and the work was his latest offering to his native city, painted on the brickwork of the Brook Young People's Sexual Health Clinic.

The result has been a city-wide debate on the merits of the graffiti artist's work. The managers of the Brook clinic want it to stay. Bristol city council has now decided to consult the people. This week an online poll was launched as to whether it should stay or go.

The latest example of the controversial artist's "guerrilla graffiti" was painted in the dead of night using a ladder to reach more than 20ft off the ground.

Immediately, the Brook clinic's medical director, Dr Annie Evans, thanked the artist by e-mail and pledged to "look after" it. Ms Evans wrote: "The team at Brook Young People's Sexual Health Clinic are bouncing with joy.

"You've copied my consulting room window to create the scene! Did you realise how utterly appropriate your latest subject matter was, given what goes on in the building?

"Brook is one of the biggest providers of sexual health advice for young people in the UK ... and your stunning artwork is exactly what we needed to promote our service. Thanks a bunch and we will do our best to look after it!"

Ms Evans said Banksy had replied to her by saying "he hoped it wouldn't be removed straight away".

She added: "I replied saying they would bulldoze it over my dead body. We love it and really want it to stay. We are calling it the 'Brook Banksy'."

After receiving phone calls from the public, Bristol Council set up an online forum for residents to register their reactions.

Tamsin May, a council spokeswoman, said an initial response had been positive. She said: "It's quite a humorous piece and generally, the reaction has been very positive. So we are opening it up for public debate rather than going in there and scrubbing it off.''

An appeal to the public on the council's website reads: "A new Banksy has surfaced on the streets of Bristol. Some people feel that graffiti is a vibrant urban art form, others regard it as an eyesore that costs millions a year to remove and helps add to the rundown atmosphere of certain areas ... What do you think? Should Banksy be praised or prosecuted?"

Last year, Banksy courted controversy when he targeted a security wall in Israel, creating stencil sprays on the Palestinian side of the West Bank barrier. He has also pinned his own works up at a number of high-profile art galleries across the world.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,771 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:09 pm
http://i3.tinypic.com/15dphdz.jpg

Source: Guardian, Friday June 22, 2006, page 14
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 06:13 am
In the town where my grandparents live there used to be a huge Mural painted on a brick wall on a building downtown of a series of windows. Each window had somebody doing something in it like talking to the guy in the next window or one guy fishing out of a bowl that was set on a lower window.

I always found that "grafitti" fun.

of course a couple of years ago a Papa johns pizza place bought the building and painted their logo of the picture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:04 am
That's awesome!

I love the reaction of the medical director.

It must be so fun to actually live in the area, go to work at the building, etc., and all of a sudden, hey what's that?!

Pretty well-done for overnight, too. Stencils?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
I'm impressed that someone had the sense to organize a public opinion poll.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:18 pm
Wow, that is so cool!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:05 pm
The poll ends 14.07.06 - will be quite interesting to read the outcome.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:57 am
I thought I had posted on this thread, but I guess that was back when I was having computer troubles, though those turned out to be telephone troubles.
Anyway, for a few months I was dealing with a lot of computer freezes.

I enjoy this wall art, and will be interested in how the poll turns out..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
I hope they've included a picture of the graffiti in question, cause if people just vote on the lines that were given, a lot of people might just vote against the principle of graffiti, without realising what it is they're voting to have erased.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:25 am
nimh wrote:
I hope they've included a picture of the graffiti in question, cause if people just vote on the lines that were given, a lot of people might just vote against the principle of graffiti, without realising what it is they're voting to have erased.

They have, indeed, plus some more infos about graffitti, art .... and anti -
social behaviour and fines:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/8039/zwischenablage012ih.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
Oh, cool. There's lots of street art here in Budapest - not graffiti, but paper, figurative mail-art type things plastered on the wall.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:38 am
Last year Esquire had a great article on Banksy. There is speculation that there is actually a group of artist that work under the name Banksy.

I think (s)he/they make brilliant social comments. I'm a big fan.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:52 am
The problem with this kind of art, is that exposed to the elements it fades over time. There was an advertisement for Coca Cola in my home town that was pained on the side of an old Vaudeville theater. It was almost 3 stories high and dated to the 1890's. But by the 1960's it had faded to the point that it was almost unreadable and by now I think it is gone.

Who is going to maintain this work?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:56 am
Noone... it's part of the charm... the fleeting character

Although, true, I'm a big fan of keeping old mural advertisements, and would rather have them "renovated" than painted over when they fade. Its nice if a city has visible (recent) history...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:36 am
I love this sort of art. Would like to see more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
On flickr are phptps of several forgotten wall ads to be seen ...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:56 am
I remember the Mail Pouch Tobacco signs on barns in Western Pennsylvania. In exchange for being allowed to post their ad, the Mail Pouch people would paint the entire barn.

This was high-tech advertising in the early days of motoring.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
Related, from today's Chcago Tribune (Tempo, page 1)

http://i1.tinypic.com/20af3hh.jpg

Report online: No saving these whales

Quote:

For nearly a decade, the 17-story whale mural along the rear wall of the InterContinental Hotel has seemed like an oceanic daydream, a monumental mirage set strangely amid the skyscrapers of downtown. The five humpback whales swim in tranquil reverie, gliding through the peaceful blue depths.

But now, the clamor of construction threatens. Just below the mural, workers pour concrete and raise beams, slowly building a 27-story condominium tower.

The whales will begin to disappear, from the bottom up, in mid-August. Six inches of clearance will be left between the old mural and the new building, and by the end of November the whales will be hidden from view.

Perhaps no one was more disappointed than Wyland, the artist who painted the mural in 1997. "For this to happen in Chicago is terrible," said Wyland, who has legally dropped his first name, Robert.

A month ago, another Wyland mural was destroyed in the demolition of a courthouse building in Milwaukee. A mural in Detroit has barely survived attempts by a car company to cover it with car advertisements.

... ... ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:39 am
And incidentally I just got the following press releas from Bristol County Council by email:
Quote:

New Banksy to stay
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:44 am
97%! Wow!

"Faith in humanity" gauge rising... slightly...
0 Replies