Smoker airline - bringing back the joy of flying?

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:41 pm
This is an advertisement photo by Deutsche Lufthansa from 1965 - similar can happen here - although in modern aiplanes and surely with passengers in different clothes :wink: - between Düseldorf and Tokyo again: SMINTAIR - Smokers International Airline will start soon.

http://i5.tinypic.com/1567m74.jpg

From the press release:
Quote:
SMINTAIR will bring back the joy of flying by offering 30 first class and 108 business class seats only, on a BOEING 747-400, one of the most reliable planes in the World. The second floor will be the passenger's lounge and not be jammed with seats, as you can sadly find everywhere, nowadays. 70" legroom for business and 80" for first class guests will enhance comfort and privacy.

AIMS:
SMINTAIR will be the airline with the best service available, willing to conquer new territory in aviation. It will also be an airline with the highest possible safety standard. The renowned technicians of LUFTHANSA will maintain and repair our aircraft on all service intervals specified by BOEING. Only original parts will be allowed during the process.

Although innovative, SMINTAIR will treat it's passengers like the staff of an international Grand Hotel treats their guests. It is an obligation to SMINTAIR bringing back the exclusivity in flying encountered in the 1960s and dearly missed by so many. The classic ambience pared with today's technology will make flying SMINTAIR a unique experience. Presentations of luxurious goods with all due countenance, Telephone, TV, DVD, MP3, Internet, are just some of the many envisioned tools and aspects of in-flight entertainment.

SMINTAIR believes in a very close relation to it's guests. Therefore, every passenger will find a short questionnaire within his Onboard Entertainment Pack. The OEP also includes the Duty-Free listing, our monthly Gazette and pamphlets of our sponsors. The only thing there's left to do for the classic SMINTAIR passenger is, to just sit back and relax, SMINTAIR's highly trained staff will be glad to service you.

Allowing our guests to smoke is one of the freedoms we are happily prepared to grant. Non-smokers will find the cabin air more refreshing than on any other flight with any other airline, as SMINTAIR adds fresh outside air to the conditioning system! This is more expensive, as it burns more fuel, but it is seen as an additional service to our guests.

http://www.forces-nl.org/images/smintair747.jpg

Homepage

Mrs Walter said, she's glad the next A2K-meeting isn't in Tokyo otherwise I could be attempted to start smoking again ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 911 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
This airline should have a long successful run...until those do-gooders decide to sue them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:48 pm
Sturgis wrote:
This airline should have a long successful run...until those do-gooders decide to sue them.

Seems, it's not possible: we don't have such laws in Germany - and the CEO said, he wouldn't engage US-American stewardesses :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:53 pm
Drat!

I guess I'll be forced to travel overseas to enjoy enclosed second hand smoke while in the air (hey I gave up smoking directly but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the scent of fresh tobacco slowly burning a few feet away as the smoke gently wafts in my direction).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:43 pm
during the 60's and 70's we flew to amsterdam several times on a KLM charter flight - we were members of the 'dutch-canadian club' Very Happy Shocked - cheap charter flights offered to members !
the service was always excellent : good meals (YES !) , eye shades ,
'sockies' - soft socks for sleeping , the finest dutch cologne in the bathroom ... and ALL THE BOOZE AND DUTCH CIGARETTES YOU WANTED !
the stench was overpowering and some passengers had to be helped of the plane , they had a hard time staying upright .
perhaps it's all coming back ?
hbg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:54 pm
Oh goodie, another flight ending with clothing and hair smelling of a stench of second hand smoke and red, watery, burning eyes.

Ah, the memories...

Yes, I used to smoke and was on plenty of those smoke-filled flights. Nevermore I say, nevermore.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:47 pm
Are they planning U.S. routes?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:55 pm
What I've read: only routes to Australia until now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:07 pm
As things stand, I don't think they can do US routes. Well, maybe the routes (roots again, we just had that conversation over in one of the soccer threads), but not the landings.

I was in my increasingly distant past an avid smoker and can see the appeal of such a flight scheduling, if all involved sign off on it. That might include more complications re future health bennies, but then that may not be a problem with the company.

I was blessedly ignorant all those years of my wafting odiferousness, since I have a nearly zilch sense of smell. Still, a cabin full of smokiness, at this point I'd be hacking away from asthma...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm
And I couldn't fit into that small brown suit now either.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:28 am
Nice !!

They don't allow to smoke on board but EOS (all First Class) and Maxblue (All business class) have already started offering these kind of services between London and NY.

I have made it a policy in my department that any one flying to NY will use one of these two airlines - since if booked slightly in advance, they are cheaper than BA Club Class
0 Replies