First Novel..Light or Heavy?

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:21 pm
Looks like I may have the time to finally sit down and write my novel, a dream that I've been carrying around for many years so please allow a little presumptuousness here and share your thoughts...

I have ideas for two plots but don't know which one to go with first. A happy, fun, lighthearted story or a vengeful, sinister plot culminating in death? I've been working (kindasorta) on the latter but one evening, out of the blue, the fun story came to me and I kind of want to explore that one. As a first novel, which do you think would be the way to go? Pick up an audience with the happy tale and save the sinister story for a later book or vice versa? Would a publisher prefer sinister over fun and lighthearted? Perhaps I should write a synopsis for each and then submit them both? Let the potential publisher decide? What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,632 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:26 pm
I kindasorta like the synopsis for both route. That would give a publisher a sense of your range. I'm no expert on this though.

Perhaps develop them both, whether you send both in or not. For one thing, switching to the light one might give you some respite while you work on the heavy one..
I tend to have several paintings going at a time, when I get into my mad painter mode. Maybe I have attention deficit problems as I age, or maybe I've found that switching focus keeps me from overworking a given painting.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:29 pm
Write them both, and see which one you enjoy more. Who knows, you may enjoy them both, and you may write more in both styles. Just because they are two different kinds of stories doesn't mean you can't try them both on for size, or even be successful in both ventures.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:31 pm
Really...and I was never good at having several projects going at once unless I absolutely had to (which is often, unfortunately). Otherwise, I like to focus and devote myself to one project until it's done before beginning the next. That's why I'm agonizing over which story to delve into. It's gotta be one or the other. Not both.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:31 pm
Yeah, I like the idea of just going ahead with both of 'em and seeing what happens. I've had OK story ideas that suddenly charged ahead of their own accord, and fabulous ideas that just sat there once I got the initial idea out. See which one has more momentum, go with that one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
Perhaps you could work on both themes, as the mood and your energy direct you. Whichever one you decide upon, you could always complete the other later.

For an interesting perspective, find A Happy Death, by Albert Camus. This was the novel he originally wrote, but which did not fulfill his expectations for the expression of his existentialist ideals. When he reworked it, he produced the novel The Stranger. Although having the same central character, and the same crucial event (a murder), he felt that people would misunderstand his point in the original version, so he changed it substantially in producing The Stranger.

You might keep a notebook soley for writing down vagrant ideas and plot plans which occur to you. You may have several novels in you, you know.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:38 pm
I agree with Set. Since you feel you can only do one at a time, let your mood guide you.
But keep that notebook around, just in case inspiration strikes you for the other one.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:45 pm
Very interesting about Albert Camus. Never heard of a do-over like that. Smile

I'm up to Chapter 3 on the heavier story. Haven't put a word on paper yet for the happy romp. But I think I'll work up a brief synopsis and see where it goes. I've got the basic plot of that one all hammered out in my head. The heavier story still needs to be developed and researched in many places and it's evolving as we go.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:49 pm
The original versions often don't get published, which is why you rarely hear of them. Many years after William Faulkner died, the original version of Sartoris was published as Flags in the Dust. Apparently, as Faulkner was basically unknown, the editor at the publishing house recommended that the novel be drastically cut-down, and focus on the sex and violence, which would sell.

You could probably easily find both novels. I would recommend you read Flags in the Dust to see what it was that Faulkner intended, and then read Sartoris to see what was produced after the original editors took to hacking on it, and convinced Faulkner to re-write it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 01:03 pm
Shouldn't Sartoris be boycotted?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 01:16 pm
I don't have a dog in that fight, Boss . . .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 01:43 pm
(You tickle the **** out of me with 'boss'. Always have.) Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 04:17 pm
Eoe--

Start with the "heavy" novel.

Down the road--and this is a prediction, not a curse--you'll have a bit of Writer's Block. Instead of cursing, pick up your notes for the light-hearted book and use that as creative distraction.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:03 pm
That's an interesting thought but what happens if you get sucked into writing the second book while you're supposed to be working on the first? It's my understanding, from a friend who has written several books now, that if a publisher likes your first three chapters, they may then present a contract and an advance for the rest of the book, due in a certain amount of time. So when you've been paid to work on one story, how productive can it be to work on another? I would be fearful of then being forced to work on a story I no longer want to write because I'd really rather be working on the other story that I foolishly tempted myself with. You know?

Once I decide which one to write, that's the one I'll focus on but I do like the idea of working up a synopsis for the second story and then making that decision.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:16 am
eoe.....surely you are doing your writing with a computer....so....in your documents create a file for each book idea you may have. File them and if and when you want to focus on one, it is there in your computer and not cluttering up your current thoughts of the one you are working on.

I have 17 book files, two are completed, another near completion, and three must ferment with time to reach their full potential. One has only the title, but I know what I want with it. Putting them in my files allows me to forget them until later.....or forever if I choose.

Stephen King vaulted his works much the same way. He stored his ideas for later use when he could not think of what to write about. Then, he pulled one out and completed it.

Personally, I prefer to finish a book, copy-edit it, and proof it a hundred times before submitting. This finishes the work and I can move to the next one while it is under consideration without feeling like something is "unfinished" and having to return to it later. Even though I have many ideas and many books started, I am like you.....I like to finish one thing before dedicating my time and energy in another.

Keep at it....remember one thing though...it is easy to write it, but getting it published is where the real work and patience lies.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 07:49 am
Thanks Herema. I do keep a small notebook and write down various ideas I have for either story. As a matter of fact, I just came up with the a great character name for my female lead in the second story. She's an actress and of course, I needed something a little more flamboyant.

Finishing up my last design project for now so it looks like I'll be free to start working on the story next week. I'm still leaning towards developing the synopsis for the second story and then deciding which one to focus on. Still don't have a title tho'... Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 08:43 am
Start them both and write on the one you feel like writing on. One may dead end at page 5....both might carry you all the way to the end. Either way, if you are in a sinster mood, you'll write on the sinister one. Feeling happy and cheerful, you'll write on the happy one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 09:05 am
Strangely, I always seem to write best "opposite" of what I'm feeling. Wrote my best humor pieces when I was most depressed, my best dark psychological stuff when I was happiest.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
eoe, you inspired me to start back in on my novel.

I am doing heavy rewriting.

I wonder if I should just start over? Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm
I'm flattered to have inspired you, Bella! Very Happy

Rewrite? That's a call that only you can make. But you wouldn't be starting over from scratch, would you?
0 Replies