Generations of Noah (Body)

yitwail

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:08 pm
farmerman wrote:
Noah would have had to populate his box with an estimated 50 BILLION species of plants and animals in order to succeed. The literalists believe that everything was already created so that would include a significantly larger number of species than are now present. Even acceptin "real lifes" assertions that Noah would have taken Baby forms or since so many animals were 'of the same "kind" How would he know which ones they actually were. Was Noah an accomplished geneticist?

no, but he seemed to be an accomplished vintner. but seriously, the Lord made sure that two of the right kinds turned up at the ark, and Noah only needed to be sure they were all aboard before pulling in the gangplank.

did RL "float" the idea of baby animals on board? that seems to create as many problems as it solves, since baby animals require more care than adult forms, and noah & family would have a ton of work to do without that extra complication.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:28 pm
rl was arguing this over on the evolution thread. His logic was, as usual, "personally crafted"
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:24 pm
well, his "craft" doesn't hold water in this instance.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 09:05 pm
Good Day

It is all symbolic and certain Believers without reason have taken it as literal. In this reality an ark full of animals is not possible.

Good Day
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:06 pm
Mindy, are you saying the story of Noah is not be taken as truth?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:55 pm
neologist wrote:
Mindy, are you saying the story of Noah is not be taken as truth?

Good Day

Oh no! It's truth that's written symbolically. It's just truth in a different language. Almost everyword has dual meaning capabilty.

For example if you take the word 'Ark" It has 4 meanings. It can be a boat which most people think it is. Or it can be something that affords protection and safety, which is the message that the writer is trying to convey.

Merriam Webster
Ark (n) 1 a : a boat or ship held to resemble that in which Noah and his family were preserved from the Flood b : something that affords protection and safety
2 a : the sacred chest representing to the Hebrews the presence of God among them b : a repository traditionally in or against the wall of a synagogue for the scrolls of the Torah

Good Day
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 06:00 am
Mind, another meaning is as a "hideout" . I hope you understand that most of us have been kidding around and have been discussing the "buildability" of a mythical "Box" from an engineering standpoint.
Set sez its gonna bend up and swamp.
I say its gonna roll over and sink like a UPS crate.

None of us have yet offered what the hell gopher wood even is. My take is when Noah gave instructions to his son Shem, hed say
"Hey Shem gopher some more wood, this suckers gonna be huge"
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:06 am
farmerman wrote:
Mind, another meaning is as a "hideout" . I hope you understand that most of us have been kidding around and have been discussing the "buildability" of a mythical "Box" from an engineering standpoint.

None of us have yet offered what the hell gopher wood even is. My take is when Noah gave instructions to his son Shem, hed say

Good Day

Well it just a matter of common sense. You don't have to be a genius to see that in this world you couldn't keep all the species of animals, insects, birds etc... in a boat and feed them for a year, but people can be prepared with enough food to eat for a year. The Bible is true;Nonbelievers are wiser than those who call themselves Believers.

Luke 16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

Good Day
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:35 am
farmerman wrote:

Could the word simply be a transliteration of the Hebrew word 'kopher', which means 'tar' or 'pitch'? In that case the tree would most likely have been cypress, don't you think?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:23 am
That explanation of the relation to "tar" is in the Dei Verbum of the 2nd Vatican Council, so its got the Ok from the MS-ers. Its just that noone can say exactly what type of tree. It had to be a big one if , like set says, the boat would have had a keel. Not so big , if it were Post and Beam construction as I theorize.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:38 pm
It could have been nothing more than a huge box, held afloat by the power of God. The description is short on details, to say the least.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:17 pm
neologist wrote:
It could have been nothing more than a huge box, held afloat by the power of God. The description is short on details, to say the least.

Good Day

You can't be serious. You seem more intelligent than that.

Luke 16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

Good Day
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 12:12 am
Intelligent?
0 Replies