Contradictions

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:52 pm
Why do we always teach our children the importance of something while we at the same time are trying to remove the neccessity for it?

We teach kids to look left and right before they cross, but simultaneously we're eliminating crossings by creating tunnels and bridges.

We tell them life is hard, then proceed to shield them from it so that they never get that impression until you are no longer capable of maintaining the protection.

What kind of cruel and selfish love is it that lies behind such actions? Is it any wonder our time's children wonder what the hell we're on about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 690 • Replies: 8
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:09 pm
Re: Contradictions
Cyracuz wrote:
Why do we always teach our children the importance of something while we at the same time are trying to remove the neccessity for it?

We teach kids to look left and right before they cross, but simultaneously we're eliminating crossings by creating tunnels and bridges.

Being, in general, no good at philosophy and things...I don't see how creating bridges and tunnels is a way of negating the necessity of the basic knowledge of knowing how to cross a street, or even a hallway for that matter. Anyone out 'for a stroll' should know how to look both ways so as not to get hit (or in a hallways walk right into someone crossing your personal path). As to bridges and tunnels, that's just us trying to get to the other place a little faster and without the bother of crossways traffic and the lights that accompanyit.

i'm leaving work now and thinking on the other. more when i get home i hope.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:46 pm
Maybe the bridges and tunnels was a poor example, but put it together with the other example, and maybe you'll see my point.

Wich is

that all humans need to discover the truth of all teachings for themselves.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:39 pm
I see it this way:
-People aren't perfect. We are often ignorant, stupid, cruel, selfish, etc. At the same time we are often knowledgable, kind, giving, etc.
We are human.
Parents being human too.

-Many people do not know themselves nor live 'in' themselves. Many have deep old needs (neurosis etc if you like) which prevent them from living authentically.
This, in turn, distorts the human vision of the world. It 'causes' all sorts of shenanigans.
Those who can not see themselves, can not see others - how to love unconditionally in this sickly state of being?

This is the way it has always been. This is the way it will continue to be. Different images and textures; but the same old crap.

You grow up - and you just might get a chance to look at this world on your own terms.
That is, after screwing up tonnes along the way, and painful self examination. Continual. If you choose - or not.

Crap hand or not: it is up to each person to decide whether or not/how much of the load they want to take for themselves.
Self responsibility.
In my opinion, some get an easier time of it than others by the roll of the die (certain circumstances, certain influential people, etc etc).
No matter.
It's all part of the deal. You get your one life and that's it.

There is this rather strange series of books i read called Diamond Heart. A.H. Almaas describes most people as babies looking at each other as potential Tits. I loved that. "How small is it? How much milk does it have for me? Will it be sweet or sour?"

I'm sorry if I ranted off topic or being boring. I have considered this too.
I think it's part of growing up and into oneself...or at least trying to.

Part of it, to me it seems, is finding a way to let it be. To accept it, not blame or try to force change where it's silly (Like in the Matrix: some are not ready to be unplugged and so must be dealt with as essentially dangerous ina way).

And ya do what you can. I'd gander that it goes on and on: if/when I have kids, they'll 'rebel' against the rules too...trying to understand for themselves. And probably have a lot of anger and blame for me. Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:25 pm
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you don't have kids, Cyracuz.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:55 pm
Hello? ...lo? [size=7] ...lo?[/size]
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:02 pm
Hey, Cyracuz - it was just a guess - I don't have any, either. But, do you?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:13 pm
I thought it was a relevant question, since you were being philosophical about what we're teaching our children...

But, massive silence - okeedokie.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:53 am
Sorry about the delay. I think I'm a good deal of hours ahead of you. I don't know how many timezones, but we're one hour east of GMT.

But no, I do not have children.
So yes, I do not understand the love of a parent, and the fear of losing your child, because I haven't had the experience.

But still I have the impression that many parents think of it as if they are going to be there for their kids forever. But they are not.
That sometimes children are shielded from the truth because we deem it too harsh.
It is a growing tendency, and if this shielding goes on for too long, the transition from childhood to adult life can be a heck of a wake up call.
0 Replies