Can't take this crap–worse an attack on fluffernutters!

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:07 am
Outraged that his son was served peanut butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwiches at school, state Senator Jarrett T. Barrios, said he will offer an amendment to a junk-food bill this week that would severely limit the serving of marshmallow spreads in school lunch programs statewide.

The measure is sure to rile fans of the Fluffernutter (me included I lived on the stuff), the Fluff-and-peanut butter sandwich that has long been a sticky favorite of New England children including Barrios's son. Even some nutritionists say it makes little sense to single out Marshmallow Fluff.

What the f???? Can't the Senator spend his time in a better way? Or if you don't like the school lunch (they always notify ahead of time the menu), make something for the kid?

Also it really isn't any worse than the other crap they give kids. Fluff is: Corn syrup, sugar syrup, vanilla flavor, and egg white. There are no artificial preservatives, stabilizers, emulsifiers, or colorings in Marshmallow Fluff. Basically it is low in calories and fat (can't remember precisely what the amounts are). Maybe a little high in sugar, but no more than the average school lunch. As a matter of fact hot dogs and pizza that are regularly provided for school lunches have significantly more fat, calories, sodium and sugar than fluff.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,236 • Replies: 36
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:14 am
I disapprove of fluffers on school grounds.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 01:54 pm
Oh it takes Fluff, Fluff, Fluff
To make a Fluffernutter.
Marshmallow Fluff! (and lots of peanut butter).

When you Enjoy, joy, joy
Your Fluff and peanut butter,
You'll be glad you have enough,
For A-noth-er Fluff-er-nutter!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
You know, I begged my mom to buy be Fluff because of those commercials...

She got me a jar and I took one look and it and said...eeeeewwww....this is Marshmallow!

Someone gave me a corn dog once, didn't even know what it was.
I nibbled on the corn coating and though it tasted ok....so kept eating....

Then, I bit into this red thing in the middle Shocked

I threw it on the ground, aghast, crying........eeeeewwwwww.....there's a HOT DOG in there!

I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Confused
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
Fluffers and fluffing are all right at the appropriate time and place. (I confess I migfht have indulged myself a time or two, heh heh.) But I agree with DrewDad -- not on school gounds. I don't think Barrio's measure goes far enough. We need extra school police to patrol the premises and ensure that no fluffing is going on behind the stadium bleachers.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 04:18 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Oh it takes Fluff, Fluff, Fluff
To make a Fluffernutter.
Marshmallow Fluff! (and lots of peanut butter).

When you Enjoy, joy, joy
Your Fluff and peanut butter,
You'll be glad you have enough,
For A-noth-er Fluff-er-nutter!

This sounds like a tune I could whistle to.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:28 pm
I also disapprove of fluffers on moral grounds. They're fine on immoral grounds, however.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:22 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I disapprove of fluffers on school grounds.

HAHAHAHA!

And

Barrios has a son?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:53 am
I think that it is a matter of appropriateness. My son ate fluffernutters which I gave him once in awhile, and they did not kill him. I have to admit that I have scarfed a few, in my day!

I think though that the schools should model good nutrition habits, by only serving wholesome food.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:06 am
Having absolutely no idea what everyone is talking about, I have just googled "fluffer", and am now of the mind that I would take great delight in eating one, anytime, anywhere.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:09 am
Yer Lordship, Fluffernutters are great with a big glass of ice cold milk!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:11 am
You mean it's a type of food?

Back to google, methinks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:20 am
http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/homepage.html

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/fluffernutter.html

Check out the jingle on the top left!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:24 am
Ah! This is very similar to your American habit of putting jam (jelly) in a peanut butter sandwich, isn't it?

Sweetens it up a bit, and all that.

Well, it was Elvis's favourite type of food, and it certainly didn't do him any harm, so I don't know why they're banning it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:27 am
Quote:
Well, it was Elvis's favourite type of food, and it certainly didn't do him any harm, so I don't know why they're banning it.

There may be some similarity with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. but Marshmallow Fluff is much more ....................................sensuous!

Did you see what Elvis looked like in the years right before he died?????
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
I had my tongue in my cheek when I typed that last post, Phoenix.

Kids'll eat junk all day long, and there's no harm in the odd fluffernutter now and again. As long as the rest of their diet is well balanced, it seems OK.

The problems start if they have this sort of thing every day, and nothing else.

I wouldn't be happy with any sort of junk food being served in schools, personally, but if you only put salad and tuna on the menu, kids'll either bring their own stuff in, or starve until they get home.

13 year olds and lettuce don't mix, I find.

A good way to do it would be to create one day a week in schools, where healthy food is served and explained. Food education if you like. Then, if it works, gradually build it up to two days etc...

Nothing wrong with the odd fluffernutter though. My weakness used to be sugar sandwiches on floppy white bread......MADE BY MY MUM!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:43 am
I agree that schools should serve healthy foods, however, many kids who plain just not eat if they were served some lunches without an alternative. The fluffernutter was the alternative lunch. It actually isn't that bad for you as long as you were to serve it also with a fruit and milk. You will have all four food groups. The fluff is just to give it that extra sweetness that kids like - jelly in most cases would add more calories and sugar. Is fluff really that much different than say adding mayo to a turkey and cheese sandwich? At least that is the way I look at it.

In high school we had our normal daily lunch, then they had an ala carte area - where students had another option rather than the hot lunch. If this wasn't offered there would have been many days were I plain would not have eaten lunch. They did offer fluffernutters and I ate them frequently. By the way I was thin as a rail, certainly didn't cause any obesity on me.

Also, the real issue to me is the fact that this congressman is running such a campaign against fluff. This is an insane waste of time - can't he find something better to fight against in Mass? It irks me that I pay for me to do this. Why can't he be like more sensible parents and simply talk with the school about better alternatives or even make your kid a healthy lunch if you don't like what the school has to offer.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:47 am
With the Congressman, I think that the issue is more political than parental. What better way to energize a constituancy than to make a big noise about healthy eating in schools?

Sure, there are more important matters that he needs handling. But this issue gives him a big bang for his buck!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:04 am
Well it would be one thing it was about healthy eating - meaning change the school menu to reflect healthy foods - I wouldn't object to that.

However, he is simply attacking fluff - in his interviews there is no mention of changing anything else - just removing fluff from the menu or at best restrict the offering of it.

I used to volunteer at a local elementary school - just look at the pizza the school offers each week or the hot dog and 90% of the other crap - most is significantly higher in salt, calories and fat. But he is only concerned about fluff.

Not only is he wasting tax payers money, but he is idiot to boot - he isn't even addressing the real problem.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:37 am
Re: Can't take this crap-worse an attack on fluffernutters!
Linkat wrote:
Also it really isn't any worse than the other crap they give kids. Fluff is: Corn syrup, sugar syrup, vanilla flavor, and egg white.

The issue is the corn syrup.

Google high-fructose corn syrup. It's turning into more than a bit of an issue, healthwise and politically. It's a HUGE battleground on another forum I go to. People accusing each other of bad parenting if they allow anything with HFCS into their homes. HUGE issue.

One blogger's take
http://arstechnica.com/journals/science.ars/2006/6/14/4324

In the news ...
HFCS

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,060,000 for high fructose corn syrup. (0.06 seconds ... click
0 Replies